White Carbs

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/7/11 10:27 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi,

How many of you get sick when you eat white carbs (bread, tortillas, potatoes).  I want to know because I'm planning to get revised to the DS.  That is my main problem right now is the white carbs. 

Thanks for sharing!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Renee2007
on 8/7/11 10:31 pm - Central, FL
 I don't get sick eating those things but they can sure bloat me and give me gas. They also take up precious space in my stomach that I need to fill with protein. I watch my carbs to keep my weight off. The easiest way for you to gain weight after a DS is too eat too many carbs.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 12:04 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Just wondering, I watched a lady on youtube that said she gets really sick when she eats even wheat bread.  Is your craving still there after the DS?    You look so pretty and healthy.  Thanks.

Virgie Tschirhart

Renee2007
on 8/8/11 12:15 am - Central, FL
 Some people end up having food intolerances after the DS. Some are lactose intolerant and some are gluten intolerant. If you have those intolerances you will probably feel sick after eating them and your gut will become pretty unsettled.

I will be honest and say that I miss pasta but the after effects of gas and bloating are just not worth it to me to eat it. Sometimes I will have just a few bites but I know not to push my limits or I'll pay for it. I had a tummy tuck after losing my weight and I just don't have room for much expansion. It's painful when I get bloated.

Cravings may or may not go away. A lot of people like myself have a change in their craving for sweets. A little bit or a couple of bites is plenty to satisfy my sweet craving. Others still struggle with it. You might have a bite and it sets off a trigger to eat more and more. There's no way to predict how it will turn out for you. I can tell you that if you can't get a grip on your carbs after surgery it's going to be a struggle to keep your weight down.

Thank you for the compliment. I feel better than I have in many, many years!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/8/11 12:15 am, edited 8/8/11 12:15 am - Tuvalu

Didn'****ch the video...but "getting sick" is not my experience. 

But...white flour IS wheat flour...just more processed.  Most overprocessed wheat flour gives me yucky bloating and gas.  And that also seems to have something to do with the leavening agent involved...because sour dough....official, really sour dough-sour dough--which uses a starter and not yeast--is a LITTLE easier on my gut.  So is sprouted wheat bread...which is made from wheat....but not wheat FLOUR.

YMMV

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 12:39 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Ok, I understand.  Thanks so much for the information.

Cute avatar picture!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 10:39 pm - Beverly, NJ
White carbs are nasty for anyone whether you get sick off of them or not. They are the most easily digestible so surgery or not they are going to go right to your hips (or butt, or stomach, or thighs).

As for if they make us sick... It varies person to person on how they make us feel. What I've read more than others is extreme gas. I'm too early out and thus terrified of even trying them. The closest I had so far was a few bites of a potato that didn't really bother me to much. But please remember I'm only 4 weeks out and so what doesn't bother me today may bother me months from now.

White carbs being bothersome isn't reason for a second surgery IMHO. What is though is a regain that you can't control or complete failure of your current surgery (non loss of weight) or medical problems with your current surgery. I don't know your story but those are the only three reasons I would have a revision. No matter which surgery you have white carbs are a NO-NO. If you can't stay off of them I would suggest reevaluation of your diet with the help of a therapist for help with a food addiction.

You have VSG so all you would really have done is the switch part right?
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 12:18 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
No, my reason for a third surgery is to get to my goal, my dream 140lbs.  Oh, yes I am seeing a Therapist, for my emotional eating.  I just wanted to know.  I don't plan to do what I did with the sleeve, eating white carbs and sabotaging.  If I do that I would probably totally give up on my health. 

I want to be healthy.   I want to live long and enjoy life and enjoy my grandchildren, God willing.    Yes, I have the VSG already, all I need is the switch part..

Thanks for replying.  Best wishes to you too!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 11:35 pm - Lancaster, OH
I don't get sick, but rice and flour products blow me up like a balloon.  They're just not fun anymore, and I really don't seem to mind passing on them when I come face-to-face with them.
THE exception is that I do have, and totally enjoy, 1 (one) cheddar biscut when I'm at Red SLobster.  There's so much oil dripping out of them that it somehow keeps the gas down, and I lurves the taste!
I used to really love bread, pasta and rice.  Now, I don't miss them enough to eat them.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/8/11 12:37 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi Caprice,  You look really great!  Congrats on your success!!!  I just wanted to get a feel on this.  I hope and pray that I don't crave the carbs after the switch part.  With the VSG yes my hunger is not like it used to be, but I still crave the white carbs.  I'm getting help from a Therapist right now on emotional eating.  I'm going to see if BCBS Federal will cover my Revision to DS.  I had to do Self Pay on my VSG, so I'm thinking it should not be a problem. 

Thanks for Replying. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Recent Topics