Help (Diet Advice) - Stuck at 200 to 202 lbs

kacie70
on 8/6/11 11:09 pm, edited 8/6/11 11:11 pm - Cleveland, NC
HI All,

I know plateauing is the nature of the weight loss beast, BUT ...

I'm so afraid of my weight loss suddenly coming to a stop.  I know there are two reasons I think this way.  First is my life long struggle with losing weight.  It seems I always "stop" between 190 and 200 lbs.  Then, I start gradually going back up!  Second, I know its a fact of me being a "do-over" DSer that I'll lose more slowly and, most likely, not as much weight as someone who had the DS as their original weight loss surgery (darn that lap band).  

So, here I am "stuck" at 200 lbs. needing some words of encouragement and/or some diet advice to help me get over this hump and start losing again.  I had my surgery October 26, 2010.  I've lost approximately 94 lbs in 9 and a half months.  My weight loss has begun to slow over the past 3 to 4 months.  Then, it just seemed to stop cold about a month ago. 

Dr. Marchesini's goal for me is 170.  I believe I'd be satisfied with 160, but for now, I just want to begin losing again.  

Thanks for your continued help and encouragement!
Kacie

newyorkbitch
on 8/6/11 11:13 pm
Cut the carrbs.  Get some exercise.  Eat plenty of protein.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/6/11 11:49 pm - Burlington County, NJ
More protein, more fat, fewer carbs, more exercise, both aerobic and muscle building in nature. That's the formula.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 12:01 am - Yorktown, VA
What's your diet like now?
kacie70
on 8/7/11 12:11 am, edited 8/7/11 12:12 am - Cleveland, NC
HI,

Thanks for asking!

I eat my protein first (I don't worry about the fat), then veggies and a little fruit on ocassion (fruits not my big thing, but I have been eating some watermelon since it is in season).  I eat very little breads (carbs) and have been very good about sugars (since my surgery, candies, cookies, icecream, etc. taste sickingly sweet to me).  For example, I'll have 2 eggs, sausage, cheese, and salsa for breakfast; ham, swiss, pickle, tomato for lunch (sometimes in a wrap); and 2 chicken tenders for dinner.  Lately, I have been craving french fries.  So, I've most likely been eating more of them than I should (funny, before surgery I didn't care for fries).  I drink protein shakes inbetween my meals.  

What do you think???

Thanks again,
Kacie

newyorkbitch
on 8/7/11 12:27 am
Keep a detailed food log for a week.  Record EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth,  including all the liquids.
beemerbeeper
on 8/7/11 3:53 am - AL
What kind of protein drinks?  How many carbs/protein?

When ever I hit a stall my mentor told me to UP my protein shakes.  That worked for me every time.

You may want to join the bites and vites thread for a while and document everything you eat to see if any carbs are sneaking in that you aren't aware of and see exactly how much protein you are getting.

How are your labs?  And really I mean specifically post your labs so the lab experts can advise you on that. 

How much water are you drinking?

~Becky

kacie70
on 8/7/11 8:08 am - Cleveland, NC
Hi Becky,

As a side note, thanks for almost always responding to my posts.  I always learn from you.  You got me to the doctor a few months ago and I am doing much better with my energy levels, etc. since my vitamins have been adjusted.  My labs are due in the next couple of weeks.  I'll post them here as you suggested.

My goal is to drink 96 oz a day.  Some days I hit it and some days I don't.  However, water is my primary beverage.  Since my surgery, water and unsweetened tea are about all that taste good to me.  And, water taste best of all.  

I'm drinking the Atkins Advantage Vanilla.  For me, these are the only drinks I've been able to "stomach".  The nutrition highlights are 15g protein, 4g fiber, 1g sugar, 160 calories, and 0g sugar alcohols. 

What do you think? 

Thanks again,
Kacie

beemerbeeper
on 8/7/11 10:08 am - AL
1 carb per drink shouldn't be slowing down your weight loss.  You might want to try some other ways to get more protein than 15 per drink tho.  How much protein are you getting now total per day?  And how much of that is from shakes? 

Do you like coffee?  The coffee protein drinks are loved by many.

Do you like chocolate cake?  The cake shake is my favorite way to get protein in.

~

kacie70
on 8/7/11 10:25 am - Cleveland, NC
Hi,

My goal is 80 to 100 grams of protein a day.  I think the carbs that are "sneaking" in may be the culprit.  Bread has been no problem giving up.  But, I recently discovered wraps which I've been eating on a regular basis.  I think I most likely need to give them up.  When I was eating eggs I could get in more protein from regular foods, no problem.  I've gotten where I'm not that crazy about them.  I've been trying to discuss the taste by more and more cheese in them. 

The coffee and chocolate cake shakes sound yummy. What brand are those and where can I get them?  I tried the Atkins Coffee shake, but wasn't too crazy about it.

Thanks!
Kacie