Sleeping on Stomach

Jenninigans
on 8/6/11 2:13 pm - TX
 I just returned home from the hospital and I am finding it extremely difficult sleeping without the elevated hospital bed. I have always slept on my stomach, and it is causing a lot of back pain to be sleeping on my back, even as I am propped up with lots of pillows. Is it ok for for me to sleep on my stomach so soon? I recently tried resting on my stomach and there wasn't any noticeable difference in pain. I just want to be sure I am not messing up my new tummy by sleeping on it.
pycca
on 8/6/11 2:23 pm - Haslet, TX
I am a stomach sleeper too.. but could not get there for about 4 to 5 weeks.. I kind of did the "almost" on stomach with a body pillow front and back,, but to be honest my favorite place was the  recliner..

it won't hurt your stomach , but it does pull alot more on the incisions..especially  the larger one he  does to remove the bits he removed...

Hang in there it does get better !! 

keep sipping your liquids !! and walking.. !! I did alot of diluted drinks , things seemed too sweet, and sf popcicles,
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 2:31 pm - Beverly, NJ
My surgery was open and I was able to sleep on my belly by 3 weeks. For weeks two through three I put my belly pressure pillow under my belly as support and a pillow (or the wife) behind me so I was kinda on my side. Even laying on my belly now is different. I can only do it for a little bit and I feel much better on my sides.
I've been a belly sleeper my whole life as well.
When I first came home though I used about 8 pillows to make like a chair kid of in bed. It did hurt my back but my ass was the worst, it was numb and sore. I went out and bought some cheapy pillows for this because we def didnt have 8 to spare. I have a recliner but my aging cat decided he would make sure we knew it was his favorite place to sleep by marking it all over so I couldn't sleep in it
Bonnie R.
on 8/6/11 6:05 pm - Stratford, CT
 Sleeping on your side may be more comfortable on your back.  I slept on my side with a pillow sort of wedged under my stomach (although I still felt like my insides were going to fall out).  I also had great luck in a recliner.  I don't think I would have been as comfortable if I didn't have the recliner.
dustydeer
on 8/7/11 12:36 am
I had to do the ole pillow propping in the recliner deal for a long time. Once in my bed, I slept on my side as everyone described by wedging my belly and back. I gradually started moving onto my belly till I started waking up on my stomach. A bit sore from it, but all was fine.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 1:51 am
 It took me about a month to be able to sleep on my stomach again after surgery and I've always been predominantly a stomach sleeper.  For me, things just felt a little "tight" inside and sleeping on my stomach seemed to put tension on something in my left lower abdomen.  I assume it was where they closed the omentum to prevent internal hernias postop.  It was the worst part of my entire surgery and I used a heating pad on this part quite a bit the first 2-3 weeks after I got home from work.  Then one day I just realized I hadn't felt it in what seemed like forever -- all forward from that point.  I don't think you'll hurt anything especially if you don't notice any increase in pain sleeping on your stomach.  

Congratulations and welcome to the losers bench! 
AllieInOntario
on 8/7/11 2:02 am
I'm a stomach sleeper too.  On the fourth night after surg, I managed to roll over and GET STUCK like that.  Youchieeee! :)   Felt like I had busted open every stitch I had.   Wasn't looking to repeat that mistake.

I did manage to sleep on my side  - and actually for a few weeks, I'd wake up and my outer legs/hips would be twinging because they had fallen asleep from not enough blood flow and body movement once I fell asleep.

I think it was about week 3 or 4 that I could sleep on my stomach and roll over without having to lift myself out of bed and change positions.  The actual sleeping on my stomach came earlier, but trying to switch positions still felt like a strain on my stitches and guts.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

KarenFlorida
on 8/7/11 5:08 am - Orlando, FL
I started sleeping on my stomach about 1 week after surgery. It was about 2 weeks postop before I felt confident getting myself there! I think it's ok to try, as long as you change positions slowly and as long as there is no major pain when you do so. It will get easier!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Jenninigans
on 8/7/11 8:28 am - TX
 Thank you all for all the tips. I think I will try sleeping propped up on my side first before I move to sleeping on my stomach. I feel like I haven't gotten a good nights rest since I was doped up on morphine in the hospital!
Emily F.
on 8/7/11 9:00 am
I could sleep on my side properly pillowed up by 2 weeks.
Recent Topics