vent: HATE when people warn me that I'm losing too much weight.

dustydeer
on 8/7/11 12:17 am
Gaunt, that is the word I was looking for. I know for me I went through what was an awkward, gaunt stage.
I know our families and friends mean well and there was a time where I understand how the weight loss started to appear shocking on me rather than looking good and healthy. I had a major loss of hair and I think I looked gaunt for a while.

I am actually lower now than I was then and everything says I look better LOL. It gets better and they also have to adjust to seeing YOU...not your weight. We have bones, they stick out, it's okay.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Mike A.
on 8/7/11 12:37 am - Independence, MO
To be fair to the ignorant who make those hurtful comments, rapid weight loss among most people is often the result of illness. In my experience, those who have not had WLS simply do not understand anything about those of us who have.

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

butercup
on 8/7/11 3:03 am - Kennewick, WA
When I was 19 I weighed 125-130 lbs on a 5'5" frame and I was told that I was overweight. I know that once I get my surgery and if I ever get down to that weight again, those same people are going to complain that I'm too thin.

One word, HATERS!

Chin up sister, you're doing just fine.
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 5:42 am
Just want to give you some perspective. I am morbidly obese, I have sleep apnea, and a degenerative neurological disease that makes moving this "heft" about very difficult.

I seriously wish I had that problem.

I am not diminishing what you said - the point is this. Don't let ANYONE'S opinion of you define you. If you feel healthy and strong then screw them and their jealousy. Just smile and change the subject.

I promise, prior to you having the surgery, these same people were saying that you were too heavy and they were worried about your health!

You are gorgeous and healthy. Let their comments go in one ear and out another.
CarolZ
on 8/7/11 8:37 am, edited 8/7/11 8:37 am - Atlanta, GA
Jess,

I am 2 1/2 years out from my DS and still feel crazy.  I am a size 4 and I KNOW I'm slender, but in my mind,  I still identify with overweight people.  I don't know how or when the body image "thing" resolves itself.

Yes, everyone who knew me before calls me emaciated, skeletal, gaunt and too thin, but my BMI is over 20 and I feel good.

I'm sorry to say that people won't leave you be.  The change in you is dramatic to them. 

PS I cannot get my avatar to change so the picture is old.  Is there a secret to changing the avatar?  It is the right size...

Height 5'4.5"
HW 283  SW 263 LW 119 CW 147 GW 135  
NOT EVEN OVERWEIGHT - Just "normal" for the first time since 1989:)

Recent Topics