Protein shake question

vitalady
on 8/7/11 2:46 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Well, not exactly.

Isolates are the BEST of the whey protein.

But whey in any form is better absorbed than vegetable proteins or collagen.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

dustydeer
on 8/7/11 12:25 am
I am going to sneak in here and say my standard old shake saying...everyone groan now...

Shake powder is tolerated as is by several people but for me, it's just a base for flavors. I think of it like I do flour in a recipe. Who would think some flour and water taste delicious?

My suggestion is to get the basic flavors, vanilla & choc and then buy some SF syrups, peanut butter, almond/soy milk, coffee, cocoa, splenda,  etc....mix and match.

Try www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com she has a great recipe section for shakes.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Mike A.
on 8/7/11 12:42 am - Independence, MO
Wow...of all the things I added flavoring to it never occured to me to flavor those nasty protein shakes. I guess we really DO learn something new every day

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/7/11 12:58 am - Tuvalu

Yup...yesterday was a choc-peppermint (choc base) shake and a peanut butter-banana  (vanilla base) shake.
vitalady
on 8/7/11 2:45 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
If you liked the blend, that's the one you should use. Check the stats. If you can use 1-1/2 scoops to get 30g protein, how many cal? Under 200? ok, good. How many sugars? Less than 3g? Good

Not everyone likes isolates. They can make blood sugar issues for some ppl.

A blend contains isolates, but also has the cheaper concentrates, too. Isolate are like a quick shot of protein (good) and concentrates sort of amble along, (also good). Together the provide more satiety than isolates alone.

But your protein drink should not fill you up for hours. More like a beverage that has some substance.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

beemerbeeper
on 8/7/11 1:24 pm - AL
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/7/11 1:37 pm - Tuvalu

No offense, Becky, but Michelle is a wls patient, not a saint...and for no reason at all I'm feeling a tad protective of her tonight.

If it were great, she'd carry it.  If it IS great but something she doesn't carry, she be a bit dense to recommend you keep buying it from Walmart.

It's not you in particular, Becky, but over the years, I've watched others ask Michelle for her advice so they could turn around and buy the same products she sells elsewhere. 

I kind of think that people who patronize Walmart should ask Walmart for advice.

Michelle,

If you're pissed at me for writing this, I don't care.

Sue

beemerbeeper
on 8/7/11 2:18 pm - AL
Point taken.

~B

Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 2:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
IMO for all the love and service she gives our community, Michelle deserves all the business we can find to give her.

goodkel
on 8/8/11 4:56 am
On August 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

No offense, Becky, but Michelle is a wls patient, not a saint...and for no reason at all I'm feeling a tad protective of her tonight.

If it were great, she'd carry it.  If it IS great but something she doesn't carry, she be a bit dense to recommend you keep buying it from Walmart.

It's not you in particular, Becky, but over the years, I've watched others ask Michelle for her advice so they could turn around and buy the same products she sells elsewhere. 

I kind of think that people who patronize Walmart should ask Walmart for advice.

Michelle,

If you're pissed at me for writing this, I don't care.

Sue

I quite agree. There's a garden center I frequent when I have brown thumb questions. They are very attentive, take the time to explain things to me, and offer pros and cons of the various products I might need.

I can buy the stuff much less expensively from Wal-Mart, but those employees can barely direct me to the bathroom let alone provide expert advice.

I don't mind paying a little more to keep my garden center in business. I'd be lost without them.

I feel the same way about Vitalady.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Recent Topics