Virgin DS vs Non-Virgin (post Band) DS

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 5:16 am
Hey everyone,

As someone fairly new to this board, I'm still learning the navigation so I'm sorry if this is widely known (or should be known by me!). 

I've seen in a few posts recently that weightloss for a non-virgin DS patient post band removal isn't as good as if the band was never placed.

I tried to search but I didn't come up with anything explaining why that would be and where I can find that information.  I guess I could understand post RNY because your anatomy is changed in that surgery, then it is re-changed for the DS but I'm trying to figure out why that would be for the crapband.

Any information and resources would be much appreciated.

C
pycca
on 8/7/11 5:45 am - Haslet, TX
If you have been a person who has had the crap band for a long time, mine was 5 years,  your body is used to the weight loss cycle, it is not fooled by the restriction..

the malabsorbtion is what is helping us loose.

If your lucky some don't have this, but have found alot of us did.  even being a lightweight to start adds another kink in it  ! LOL

With the band we have starved ourselves forcefully..kind of like the years of up and down dieting. it has screwedour systems up,,

It does correect but it takes a while.. I still have lost,but much slower and am effected by carbs easier.So I had to be VERY strict with the carbs or it made weight loss  slow down more.

Check out the revision board, there are some there too,
Poodles
on 8/7/11 11:32 am - TX
Hmm... I never post to the revision board.  May have to stop by there to help my fellow bandster friends.

After my surgery I lost slowly, but then after I got control over my head hunger and carb devil I started doing better.   Many lost faster than me, and I was very discouraged and beat myself up alot, but I finally started dropping weight and have evened up with people as far out as myself (I think).

Don't let the "rumor' of slower weight loss with revision cloud your goals.  Get rid of the carb demon and you will be fine.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 12:22 am
Thanks Poodles! 

I admit, it scares me a bit because here I am 4 years out from this stupid crapband and I have regained all my weight.  PLUS I had only lost about 35lbs post op anyway.  I'm scared I'm going to do this big surgery and not lose weight.  It's like my last hope and I'm afraid to fail again.

I'm good with the low carb thing, I actually prefer to eat that way.  While I like sweets, my main weakness is meat and fat.  The problem with this stupid crapband is that I get stuck sometimes when I eat meat.  And it's random.  One day, I'll take a bite of chicken and be frothing and throwing up for hours.  The next day, I can eat a rack of ribs like the ones they would serve Fred Flintstone and still have room to spare.  BUT a cookie or a potato always slides right down.  

Evil band.  I know it works for some people but I hate this thing....
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 6:20 am
I don't have all the answers for you, but can only tell you about my experiences.  I had a band before my DS, and was considered a "lightweight".  I didn't have a bit of trouble losing weight with the DS.  For the most part, I lost consistantly.  Occassionally, I'd stall out for a week, but then I'd drop five pounds overnight.  Towards my goal, my weight loss slowed down quite a bit.  I'm still losing, just not very fast.  My results might not be typical for band revision people, but I made it to my goal in about 10 or 11 months.  I'm wondering if this whole "revisions lose slower" thing is really "RNY revisions to DS lose slower".  I'm not sure on that one.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/11 6:37 am
Thank you for sharing your story.  I hope my experience is like yours!
Recent Topics