Curious: How does your thyroid affect your DS weight loss?

determineddanni
on 8/6/11 2:45 am
Hey all!
If you have read my other post you would all know I suffer from Hashimoto's Disease (my thyroid is slowly failing due to my body attacking it, causeing hypothyroidism). I have an amazing endocrinologist who takes care of me but.... how is this post DS?!

So here is the questions to all of you who had hypothyroidism w/ds!

Did your weight come off a bit slower?

Did your TSH levels affect your mood &/or weight loss?

How often do you have your TSH levels checked post-op?

How were your TSH levels throughout?

When you hit goal did your TSH levels become normal and less eratic?

Has anyone had children after DS and if so... how was your TSH levels throughout your pregnancy?

I know your not supposed to have children until 2 years post op. So I already have those guidelines but I want to be completely stable at the 2 year mark... that means my thyroid too because I do plan on having kids post-op. (i dont have kids now) So my pregnancies will all be so foreign to me... I can't just pick up a pregnancy book at the store and find all my answers.... sadly enough.

So I want to know what to expect and how long it takes to really get steady and healthy all around. I am sure it depends on a lot of factors but I would love to hear your personal experiences on this subject.

pycca
on 8/6/11 4:37 am - Haslet, TX
Yes , my weight comes off slower, but then I am also a revision..but it  still is going!!

No thyroid levels stayed pretty good, it is the estrogen that  messes with your moods.  It is stored some in fat cells,  hence changes

I do my labs as required, 3. 6.9.and now yearly. Levels have stayed great every time

post DS I do take mymeds evening by themselves... then hour later bed time vites

Did not have kids post DS just with the Hashimoto's.

Mel_Ga
on 8/6/11 9:49 am
I can only speak of dealing with Hoshimotos in general with pregnancy.  (My Ds was just two weeks ago.)  My thyroid levels were monitored every two weeks at the start of my pregnancy.  Things got stable and then I had to watch out and became very low after I had my kids.  Ds or no DS, I would just have labs often while pregnant and the first year after.
rbb825
on 8/10/11 3:07 pm - Suffern, NY
I am RNY but I do have Hashimoto's.  It didn't affect my weight loss at all but it is imperitive that you get your thyroid levels checked often, especially the first year.  My Endocrinologist checked my TSH, T3 and T4 levels every 6 weeks for the first year and I needed to have my levels changed about 4 times in that time period.  I also had to be put on a second medication called cytomel for a low T3 level.  Since about 18 months, my levels stablized.  I actually went off the cytomel a few months ago and all is fine.

I can't comment on pregnancy, I have never had children.

As far as taking your synthroid, there is new research out saying it actually works best by taking it at night on an empty stomach, 4 hours away from your iron and calcium

Recent Topics