Why the fat?

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 4:09 am - Bayonne, NJ
The fat keeps things moving. ;)

Smuckers makes an all natural peanut butter. Hell, Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise brand has an all natural. It's awesome.
pycca
on 8/6/11 5:12 am - Haslet, TX
Fat makes things go  smoooth ! LOL  all that protein need fat to leave LOL

Love my butter , my bacon grease, mayo and of course natural peanut butter !!!
I keep little batches in mylocker each day at work, as if I only have a few min between surgeries I can munch on it !!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 5:38 am - Woodbridge, VA
The key to a successful low-carb way of eating for ANYONE (even without surgery) is to eat a lot of fat. Otherwise, you're getting pretty much protein, right? And, while protein isn't all bad, it's not much to live on. We NEED fat to live - for healthy skin, healthy hair, healthy nails, healthy eyes, healthy organ function - and if you're malabsorbing a large amount of the fat you're eating, then you need to eat even more in order to absorb enough for good health. Also, if you're truly eating low in carbs, then your body turns to FAT for an energy source instead of carbs/glucose.

I have my surgery type listed as "other" because even though I technically DS, I have a super long common channel, so it doesn't quite act like a normal DS. I've never had a single sign that I malabsorb any of the fat I eat. However, I still aim to get at least 60-70% of my daily total calories from fat (and 10% or fewer from carbs). Eating like this, I have excellent cholesterol and other labs.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 8:41 am
 Also consider that, due to our 80% fat malabsorption, we also malabsorb vitamin A,D,E, and K (fat-soluble vitamins).  We need a certain amount of fat in our diet to make sure we are absorbing what we need.  That's my excuse!  
MizCharlotte
on 8/6/11 10:57 am - Spring, TX
I acutally thought this is the primary reason why we need to eat more fat, and was surprised not to see this explanation until your response.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 12:04 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Actually, fat can work to our benefit or detriment in this case - if we eat lots of fat WITH our vitamins, my understanding is that the malabsorbed fat can also lead to malabsorbing the vitamins taken WITH the fat. This is why we take dry vitamins instead of those in oil caps - when we malabsorb the oil, we malabsorb the vitamins.
Recent Topics