Why the fat?

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 12:36 am
So, I'm newish on the dark side and having to glean eating information from here rather than from the doc. Please forgive a newbie question.

I understand why to limit carbs. I understand why to up protein. But why up the fat?

Is it just because DS'ers can (and it makes protein taste better)? Is it to increase calories per day (as we do need calories to "run")? Is it to improve intestinal, uhhh, motility through the digestive system? Just wondering.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 12:43 am
All of the above.

There are a few DSer's that have to limit fat somewhat if they have loose stools.  That seems to be a problem early out until your re-arranged guts settle down.  Some of us run on the constipated side and have to add extra fat to keep things running smooth.

HTH,
Michele
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/6/11 12:53 am - Tuvalu

I asked this question repeatedly and came to the following conclusions:

1--only three things make food taste good...sugar, salt and fat.  Sugar should be limited (should, being the operative word), I also need to limit salt and there you have it.

2--I'd rather have a glop of mayo on my lunchmeat than take a Colace.
Jade ..
on 8/6/11 12:58 am - GA
 If I don't eat enough fat, I get constipated.
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

2bee.or.not2bee
on 8/6/11 1:11 am
 I understand that we don't absorb 60% of the fat that we eat.  Isn't that true?

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/6/11 1:16 am - Tuvalu

I believe it's 80%.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/6/11 1:20 am
80% of fat is unabsorbed.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

dustydeer
on 8/6/11 1:18 am, edited 8/6/11 1:19 am
We malabsorb a lot of protein and fat however, the numbers I believe could only be accurately measured in the toilet on a day to day basis.
I refer to this as my turnover rate. Early on, I'd see my food as early as a few hours. Now, unless I eat a lot of fat and esp fat/sugar combo, it takes longer and therefore I conclude I am absorbing more of the nutrients from food.

I am one of those who does have to limit fat. I do not limit protein. I eat everything else in moderation except sugar/white flour and that's occasional use.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

2bee.or.not2bee
on 8/6/11 1:26 am
 Even better! :)

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
Elizabeth N.
on 8/6/11 1:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Not so much for the calories, but otherwise yup, that's why. If I don't push the fat like crazy I can't poop. Eating fat freely also vastly expands the protein options.

Recent Topics