Need some breakfast ideas

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:14 am - OH
  I'm still pre-op and on my 6-month WW diet, and it wasn't going well. So I decided to try cutting my carbs in an effort to at least lose some weight.  I'm doing pretty well for lunch and dinner...but I'm really struggling with breakfast.

I have tried the greek yogurt, but I find the plain stuff to be horrible and bitter, and the fruit ones have too many carbs. I've been doing eggs everyday, but I'm just not a fan of having to "cook" so early in the day, everyday (I know that sounds lazy). It was so easy to just grab a box of cereal.  I did google low carb breakfasts, but it is mostly just scrambled eggs, or elaborate low carb waffle recipes that I will never do on a busy monday morning.  So I'm kind of looking for some quick ideas or maybe something that I could make ahead of time and reheat so I don't have to pull out the pots and pans every morning?

Thanks in advance!

Barb.
DianaRR
on 8/5/11 11:20 am - CA
I'm no help. I'm in the same quandry about what to eat in the morning. I'm only about 4 weeks post op and I am done with eggs for now. The protein drinks are easier than cooking, but I am getting tired of them, too.
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:26 am, edited 8/5/11 11:27 am - OH
It makes me feel better that it's not just me! I check the bites & vites thread, but it's mostly yogurt or bacon.  I love bacon/sausage/etc, and on the weekend it's great...but during the week I'm always in a hurry to get out the door and standing at the stove all that time is just not working out very well.

Edit: I actually hadn't thought about protien drinks. That wouldn't be bad if they will fill me up and I can find a good one. I may have to try doing those.
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:30 am
Still pre-op here too (banded but hoping to get the wretched thing out soon) and I did low carb for many years and yes, most are egg related.  Here are some quick tips though:

1.  You don't need to eat BREAKFAST food.  ANY food is okay.  If you're not that hungry, try just some string cheese and a shake or maybe some pre-cooked bacon (just nuke it to heat it up).

2.  Hard boiled eggs - cook up a bunch and keep them in the fridge.  Good for an afternoon snack too.

3.  Make the waffles when you have time and then freeze them.  Pop them in the toaster and you get hot delcious low carb waffles in no time.

4.  Mix some full fat yogurt with cut up strawberries or blueberries and add some splenda if you like it sweeter.

5.  Ham and cheese "roll up".  Just roll up some ham and cheese like a cigar

6.  I would suspect this won't be good post-op but for now, they have really high fiber crackers that are 0 net carbs.  I spread one of those with homemade peanut butter.  

7.  They make low carb oatmeal that's pretty tasty. 

8.  Atkins bar

9.  Pre-cooked sausage or even re-heated leftovers. 

Hope that helps!

Disclaimer - I'm pre-op suggesting something to another pre-op.  I have no clue if any of these would be appropriate post-DS.  Still learning!
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:34 am - OH
Those are some great ideas!!! Thank you so much. I would have never thought to freeze the waffles or pre-cook bacon or bacon.
beemerbeeper
on 8/5/11 11:55 am - AL
I just made two egg casseroles to take to my daughters.  Lori may have first posted this I"m not sure.  I got it from Jeff N.  Easy to make and easy to nuke.  I've nuked it and carried it to eat in the car.  I LOVE this stuff:

Layer these in this order in a 9X11 casserole dish

2 containers of cream cheese (DSers use full fat) softened and spread in bottom of pan
1.5 lbs crumbled cooked bacon
2 cups shredded moz cheese
1 lb cooked crumbled hot sausage
2 cups mex blend shredded cheese
pour over this 12 beaten eggs

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I should have made 3.  Since now I'm craving it.

~Becky

meredith_123
on 8/5/11 11:58 am - Waterford, MI
Oh Becky,

thank sounds so good.  Thanks!!
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 12:26 pm - OH
This sound SO good....and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.
Mike A.
on 8/5/11 11:06 pm - Independence, MO
Hey Becky, do you deliver

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

Diane Davis
on 8/7/11 5:32 pm
This sounds yummy!

How's your daughter?
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Recent Topics