DS Card

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 1:01 am - Beverly, NJ

Good thread.  I never thought about those things before.  

I think I would put on mine:

Duodenal Switch
Please contact:
Dr. Greenbaum
609-877-1737
Donna Longuillo
(My moms number)

And it's more out of being scared than anything else.  I know in an emergency situation  theres not much different about us that an EMT would need to know but at the same time if they see my stomach and see my scar wouldn't they want to know? I would.

Above all else, I'd get a new bracelet :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 9:45 pm
Why not just put your surgeon's name and number in you ICE contacts on your cell phone?  My brother in law is a first responder and that's what they look for here.  Unless it's a traditional medical ID bracelet, they're probably not going to know what it is.  If you have medication allergies or latex allergies, I wouldn't bother with the bracelet.  With the DS, you don't have to worry about them giving you a ''blind NG' or anything like that (like with the band or rny) ,so I would guess that putting your surgeon and all surgery related info in you ICE contact would be sufficient.
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 11:25 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Great idea! I am loathe to wear a medic alert, even though I have more than one reason for it. I think that having the contact info in my ever-present phone is a great idea!
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 1:05 am - Beverly, NJ

Yeah but then I wouldn't get a new bracelet.  Lol

I do see your point though.  I do have my surgeon as my ICE contacts in my phone already.  

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/5/11 1:13 am
OK, I don't mean to be a trouble-maker here, but what's the down side of wearing a bracelet?

If you put your info in your cell phone and it isn't with you, or it gets stolen (like if you're mugged) or if your phone is locked (as it should be for safety reasons) then the first responders can't get to the info.  Also, if you put the info in your wallet, again, it could get stolen or not be with you during an emergency.

And as far as the bracelet being too "pretty" for an EMT to know it's a medic alert--I don't buy it. If you're unconscious, they're going to look to see what's on your wrists, in your wallet, etc.  I know two EMTs and that's their policy.

Additionally, if you've got a surgical emergency and there is no one to speak for you, then it might be helpful for the surgeons to know why the hell your intestines look so strange.  At least they're not going in there blind.

Maybe these scenarios and cautious steps are a bit extreme, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't see the down side to wearing a medic alert. 

If you don't want to wear one, then I guess you won't wear one. As a newbie, I'm a bit paranoid. For whatever reason it gives me some piece of mind.  
Sher--the bear mama

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/5/11 1:21 am - Tuvalu

"OK, I don't mean to be a trouble-maker here, but what's the down side of wearing a bracelet?"

The people who sell them don't leave you alone.  We got one for my stepfather, who had Alzheimers.  I think he was dead for about six years before they stopped bugging us to buy new bracelets or contribute or upgade info and so on.

Same with small donations to certain organizations.  I don't want them to spend my entire donation on postage and stationery dunning me for more contributions.  So I send a postal money order that does NOT have my name on it...or I don't send a damned thing.
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/5/11 1:29 am
"The people who sell them don't leave you alone"

Are you serious Ms. Cal Culator? I didn't realize that was the case--well, then I guess there is always the opportunity to buy them at a local store--we've got one here in my town that sells them.  But I do see your point.

What I meant when I said "I don't see the down side of wearing the bracelet"-was that it doesn't seem like it could hurt to wear one.  I like jewelry so I don't mind wearing another piece--even if it's not pretty.  But if a person is of the mindframe that they can't stand wearing one, then it's fine too.  I just don't see the problem either way.
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 1:57 am - Beverly, NJ
I don't think you're being a trouble maker. You make great points.  I think what I gathered from the other thread though is there is nothing an EMT really needs to know about us.  Although I am still getting one because whether an EMT needs to know or not they need to pass the info on to the ER doctors.  Plus like I said.... I want a pretty new bracelet.  :)
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/5/11 2:01 am
I agree! I want a new bracelet too!
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 6:35 am - OH
I agree. I think I will get one. I'm highly allergic to morphine, and really should be wearing one for that since that is something that can get pushed in the field by a paramedic. I think I will get one about that and my surgeon info...kill two birds with one stone
Recent Topics