TMI Question

ambermay
on 8/3/11 11:28 pm
So i started my 9 day pre op diet 3 days ago.  I can have the following-  2- vanilla unjury in 8 oz skim milk, 1- 8oz unflavored unjury in broth or crystal light/propel, and 1- 8oz yogurt or 1/2 cup cottage cheese..  So I thought that at my pre op appointment yesterday that they would give me some sort of bowel cleanse to do before surgery.  They didn't.. SO when I got home and remembered, I called them.  They said that the pre op diet will clean me out by itself.. That ehy don't do bowel cleansers.   Problem is,  is it is constipating me not the opposite.  So now what??  Will it change to cleaning me out he longer I am on the diet?  I am just scared I am going to get to the surgery day and they will blow me up and see I am full of **** LOL.. 

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

TheAlps
on 8/3/11 11:30 pm - Atlanta, GA
Don't worry, DS is done in the very top of your intestines, I was worried too for my DS and I actually ate a huge Indian curry dinner the night before lol and they had no problems. Good luck on your surgery!
Catnip
on 8/4/11 12:20 am - Ottawa, Canada
 ahhh  the connection to create the common channel is done in the last 10 to 15% of the small intestine. No where near the top.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

newyorkbitch
on 8/3/11 11:44 pm
Don't worrry.  Many people don't even do pre-op diets.  You'll be fine.

(I was only instructed to not eat from midnight before the day of surgery)
Catnip
on 8/4/11 12:19 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Ummmm  The connection to the common channel is done almost at the bottom of your intestines, if you have constipation you might want to do something..

I think there are several options.   One add a scoop of benefibre to every drink you have that has protein in it.  It will not give you diarrhea and has no calories but will give you some fibre.  

2.  Just to be safe you could do a bowel clean of your own.   You can get magnesium citrate at the drugstore for very very cheap (less then 5 bucks a bottle, look in the laxative section)  Drink it 30 to 24 hours before your surgery (and you want to make sure you are home.)  It is about 2 cups of liquid I mixed mine half and half with sprite, but i wonder what it would taste like with Crystal lite.  Drink lots of water with it. 

good luck,

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Elizabeth N.
on 8/4/11 3:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
They won't be anywhere near your **** supply :-).

Some surgeons believe a good cleanout is a good thing. I did a prep before my hysterectomy and was glad I did. Regardless of whether it made any difference in how the surgeon could work, it was far more comfortable to be starting over with fresh poo when my guts woke up.

I did not do a prep before my DS and found it really uncomfortable to have to get rid of some old stuff first when my guts woke up. If I had it to do over again, I would have done a prep or at least a semblance thereof.

After a couple more days on your preop diet, you are likely to switch over to liquids in = liquids out. But it's not guaranteed. You can revisit your options closer to the day of surgery and decide what you want to do.

butercup
on 8/4/11 4:57 am - Kennewick, WA
CharleeG
on 8/4/11 6:03 am - Jonesboro, AR
What EN said. My doc didn't order a prep. I was on liquids for 5 days pre op with the last 2 being clear liquids. I didn't have a crumb of anything to eat - was so frigging good, I astounded myself. I didn't have any crumbs in my poop either - liquid in, liquid out.

If you have substantial poop or still feel full of **** the day before, you can get some mag citrate or something OTC. I wouldn't do it now - why suffer twice?

MomToTeens
on 8/4/11 8:11 am - OH
I had a revision from RNY, and Dr. K said I didn't have to do the bowel prep.  I felt more comfortable doing it, so I just did the mag citrate.  It was more of a personal comfort level with me.

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

litebrite
on 8/4/11 8:56 am - Telford, PA
Thank you for asking this, I wanted about a bowel prep as well.
DS on 8/15/11

Recent Topics