Black poo

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 10:20 pm - Beverly, NJ

So last night my poo was black.  Like paint out of a can jet black.  I didn't think anything of it until this morning.  

I feel fine.  Yesterday I had some boiled peanuts so I can promise you I had tons of fun with gas and cramps but they went away and all I'm left with is fun black poo.  Now that I've read up on it and asked the folks over on Facebook I'm scared.  I called Dr. G's office and I'm waiting to hear back from them (Dr. Wassers on call). 

My son comes home from camp today and I can't find anyone to pick him up this morning.   Of course he's been away for a week and I've been fine.  Ugh.

EDIT: My step dad can pick him up!  YAY!  I'm headed to the ER now 

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 10:30 pm - Beverly, NJ

Dr. Greenbaums office just called me back, they said to wait until 9 because they are doing rounds......  I was really put off by the nurse.  I had to argue with her.  She told me it was from my iron.  I told her Iron makes you're poo green-black, not jet black.  Jet black poo is from digested blood..... 

I'm getting dressed and ready to go anyway...

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 11:39 pm - Beverly, NJ
Just talked to Greenbaums office. Dr. Wasser called him because he wanted to be sure. They said to skip the ER and make an emergency appointment for tomorrow. With the strict instructions that if I feel ANY different than to head straight to the ER. They think it's the upped dosage of my Prilosec and the Peanut experiment. I pooed right before they called and it looked slightly more normal (still jet black but with a tiny hint of green) which also helped.

But I wanted to keep this post up. I had a hard time searching for Black Poo (black stool, black poop) and I want to make sure a simple search is all it takes for anyone else.

IF YOU HAVE POO THAT IS BLACK (not greenish black, but I mean jet black)CALL YOUR DOCTOR. IT IS A SIGN OF A GI BLEED. Although it can also be nothing. It's best to be on the safe side.

Link:
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/otherdiseases/a/blackstool.htm
kirmy
on 8/4/11 2:27 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
My **** is purple black with my 16 iron tablets a day.  Coffee grounds are what you're looking for...literally looks like ground coffee...smooth black poo sounds like iron but if it has grainy bits then it is likely digested blood.  Unless you're bleeding frankly i wouldn't be freaking too much but I would ask for a barium swallow test or an evil contrast dye study. 

I''ll be cool........oh and my experiment with peanuts 2 months out almost blew my legs off. Beware!!!!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 2:30 am - Beverly, NJ

I didn't think it was a big deal because it was smooth.  But when I woke up this morning and looked it up I read otherwise.  Plus factor in the explosion I had with the peanuts last night and as a newbie I freaked out. 

I feel fine though and Dr. G didn't feel the need to send me to the ER so I feel better about that too. I really think it's the iron and the prilosec.

Pupcake !.
on 8/4/11 5:09 am - Stranded in, IA
Black stool when caused by digested blood is usually sticky and very foul smelling.

Activly bleeding digested blood is looser and like coffee grounds.

In the hospital we can always "smell" a GI bleed.

I hope everything turns out OK

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 8:01 am
Okay so first let me say I'm glad you're feeling better and they are right about the coffee grounds BUT it's always best to call and get checked.

Okay now it's time for me to whine - OH NO!!!!  No boiled peanuts?????  Those are my favorite thing ever.  I thought they would be DS friendly being low carb and low protein.

Damn it......
scoob
on 8/4/11 12:18 am - Somerset, KY
OMG, hope everything turns out ok! Please keep us updated!
BIg hugs!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Recent Topics