Seroma and strange symptoms... are they related?

April M.
on 8/3/11 4:29 pm - MI
Ok... I've been having some strange symptoms, and my research and hours of searching the DS forum have not yielded the answers I'm looking for. I had my staples out yesterday, a few little spots still open in my 10+ in*****ision line (the nurse assured me that there was just a little more draining needed and then these would heal up on their own), and had a (very) brief follow-up with Dr. Hares. Nothing out of the ordinary.

However, for the past 3 days, it has been getting harder and harder for me to feel comfortable after eating, even a small amount, to the point where I have thrown up at least some of all but 2 of those meals. One I know for sure was my fault (I ate bread and forgot about how it expands in our tiny bellies), and another time I suspect it was just because the chicken I ate was too dry and sat like a rock in my tummy. In addition, starting this afternoon, I have been having sharp pain around my stomach, which would only last for a few seconds and then abate for a few minutes, to the point where I was researching bowel obstructions and other post-op complications that fit those symptoms.... 

Now, I was looking at my incision line and one of the little holes that had opened along it. I had a seroma with my first surgery, so I know what to look for with my body. I had what I suspected was the start of a seroma, with a little bit of a bulge out of the hole when squeezed. So, silly me, I decided to squeeze just a little bit harder.... and there was fluid everywhere. Probably somewhere between 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid. All "healthy" fluid, no cloudiness or other signs of infection. When I finally got it "de-oozed" and started to clean it so that I could bandage it up to absorb the weeping, I found that the hole was pretty deep... at least q-tip length deep. I know, completely gross and TMI, but I wanted to make sure that I conveyed the enormity of this seroma.

Ok, now for the strange part. In the last few hours since my seroma drained, my stomach cramping and pain has all but disappeared, except the normal post-op gas. I was even able to eat some chicken and a few pieces of lettuce with some dressing, for a total of perhaps a half a cup of food with no discomfort, pain, nausea or vomiting. I'm thinking that my seroma must have been pushing on either the bottom of my esophagus or the top of my stomach, creating an artificial stricture. Any thoughts?

Oh yes, and no one worry, I do plan on calling my surgeon and/or PCP first thing in the morning to both confirm that this is what was happening and see if they would like me to do anything for follow up on this (to my eyes at least) huge seroma, as it is already healing shut again. I'm a little worried I may come out the other end of this experience with a wound vac, but if it's either that or how I've been feeling for the last 3 days, I'll take the vac.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

April M.
on 8/4/11 1:42 am - MI
Nobody has any thoughts for me on this? (Also posting to bump the thread )

379/366/319/214/

Camsgirl27
on 8/4/11 4:21 am - AZ
I am still pre op, but i have a seroma from a hernia. I have been having trouble with it and I would say that with the way mine sets ( it is like a medium sweet potato) that yours could be larger than it seems and could definitely be causing your problems. I don't really believe in coincidences.
April M.
on 8/4/11 6:51 am - MI
Thanks for the input... I was suprized when I found out that seromas could get so big. At this point I'm pretty sure that my initial self diagnosis was corrects, as I've eten twice today with no problems other than the normal post-op hyper-awarness of my belly and a little extra gas than normal. I'm wondering about other people's experiences with seromas, especially ones that were large or deep. "Need more input"!

379/366/319/214/

gak
on 8/4/11 10:21 am
Revision on 06/21/13
While you talk a bout how deep it was, h ow wide was it ? Sounds and acts like a seroma, You may or may not need a wound vac, quite a variable situation. Docs may just want to keep an eye on it and see if it reforms.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

April M.
on 8/4/11 10:47 am - MI
Ginger,
   That's what confuses me. The hole itself is no larger than a pencil eraser, but I have no idea how wide it actually is, as it was actually almost completely healed over. Going to see my PCP tomorrow, so we'll see if we get to find out the actual dimensions.

379/366/319/214/

gak
on 8/4/11 10:52 am
Revision on 06/21/13
April,
The opening can be small  and it might be larger underneath. They will check it out and let you know. Just good to stay on top of it.. You might  be able to keep it drained on your own.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 10:36 am
I had a pretty deep seroma and kept squeezing it daily per Dr.'s orders to let it heal from the bottom up.  That doesn't always work but it did for me and it is worth a try.

I have no clue if the 2 problems are related.

HTH,
Michele
April M.
on 8/4/11 11:00 am - MI
Michele,
   That's how I healed up my 2 seromas from my first surgery, but they were pretty small in comparision. We'll see tommorow with my PCP.

I'm pretty sure that the 2 problems were related, as I've had 4 meals at this point with no nausea or vomiting, no unusual restriction feeling, etc.

Thanks for the input, you're awesome!

379/366/319/214/

Recent Topics