Question about surgeons

AMPinquoch
on 8/4/11 12:52 am - Omaha, NE
 Hi, I've been lurking here for years and need some help. I have 2 surgeons in my area who perform the DS (Dr Anthone & Dr Forse). Dr Anthone is listed on the DSfacts.com list of surgeons and Dr. Forse is not. Dr. Anthone does the surgery open, while Dr. Forse does it lap. How do I determine which surgeon is best? Thanks in advance.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/4/11 12:57 am - Tuvalu

MY approach would be that I know a couple of Anthone patients, he's been doing this forever and he is well-known.

The open-lap thing is not a deal for me, so I don't know what makes it seem like "a plus" to others.  All I know about it is that lap surgeries tend to mean longer surgery times and that does not appeal to me.
AMPinquoch
on 8/4/11 1:09 am - Omaha, NE
lap surgeries are longer?
teachmid
on 8/4/11 1:26 am - OKC, OK
Yes,
laps take longer.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

beemerbeeper
on 8/4/11 1:44 am - AL
I would go with the most experienced surgeon.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 8/4/11 3:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. Anthone has longevity, reputation and the unqualified endorsement of some medical professionals whose opinion I highly value. Open surgery is no big deal at all. I've had several of them in my lifetime. I would want the shorter procedure time anyhow. The longer a fat person is under anesthesia, the more nervous I get thinking about it.

MarciRenee
on 8/4/11 4:02 am, edited 8/4/11 4:02 am - IA
I am a Dr. Anthone patient - so my choice is clear.

I personally wouldn't go to Dr. Force if you paid me.  He hasn't been doing the DS all that long, doesn't have a proven track record, and doesn't have the backing of medical peeps that Dr. A does.  So all that would sell me right there.  In addition Dr. A has been doing the DS for years and has quiet a few articles/studies that he's written/co-written regarding the DS.

This is anecdotal and I don't really know all the details but would be enough for me to steer clear of Dr. Forse until he does more of the DS and we see how his patients fare (weight loss and supplement wise).  One of his patients had a rough go of it.  Apparently he had a hard time sewing the duodenum together - it kept "falling" apart in his hands.  Now I know NOTHING about how that all works, whether or not this had to do with his skill level or not, etc...but that right there would scare the **** out of me.  Hopefully this person will chime in and tell us what went down as I don't know the details or even remember who it was. 

It is your health and I would only trust it to the tried and true.  I know that every surgeon has to get his start somewhere, but that is NOT gonna be on me...period.  You have to do what you think is best.

Open vs Lap - that would not be enough to steer me away from a particular surgeon.  Either way you are going to feel like total ass after surgery.  Add to that the fact that you are MO or SMO and you're recovery is going to be a little rough and painful.  So no matter which way you go it is NOT gonna be a walk in the park.  Mine was open...1/2 of my scar you can't even see the 1/2 half keloided and is sort of thick...but I don't really care.  I am not planning on showing off my tummy to anyone other than my man and he was there for my surgery so he knows I have scars.  I DID get an incisional hernia which I had repaired and resulted in me getting a panniculectomy covered by insurance - so in my book that was a win all the way around.  Once I have my tummy tuck (post babies) there won't be a scar there anymore.
Marci       
Recent Topics