10 mg of Vitamin K1 a day? 10 times what I take now?!!

scubadiva
on 8/4/11 11:00 am
This article says a NORMAL person needs 10 mg of Vitamin K1 a day.  I take 1,000 mcg of Vitamin K1 a day from Vitalady.  According to this article, I need at least 10 times that amount.  And being a DSer, probably at least double that... 20 to 30 mg a day????  Am I reading this right?   NSC brand makes a dry Vitamin K1 and each capsule is 10 mg.  I could take that or 10 of Vitalady's a day-- and that is if I were normal.  I'm not... so more??   Is Vitamin K going to be as important or even more important than Vitamin D in helping bones, preventing strokes, heart attacks, and Alzheimers, etc.?  Help. This is confusing.  :)  Do we really need at least 10 mg a day??  That is 10 times what I take now. 

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/feb00-report.html
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 11:19 am

This is copied from the live strong website.

Overview

Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin that helps your blood to clot, while also playing a role in bone health. It is rare for people to be deficient in vitamin K, as a bacteria in your intestines produce it. Vitamin K is also in a variety of leafy greens. Although deficiency is rare, there are daily intake recommendations for vitamin K.

Adult Vitamin K Needs

Adult men aged 19 and older need 120 mcg of vitamin K daily. Women of this age need 90 mcg, whether or not they are pregnant or breast-feeding.

scubadiva
on 8/4/11 11:38 am
120 mcg is a lot less than what I read in this particular article which recommends 10 mg.  Wonder which it is.  I already take 45 mg a day of Vitamin K-2 based on all the studies in Japan on osteoporosis.  I wonder how much Vitamin K1 to take.  This is from that article I linked above...

Dosage and precautions

Vitamin K is not stored in the body, and is therefore nontoxic in high amounts. Forty-five milligrams a day were used in osteoporosis studies without any ill effect. Vitamin K has been approved in Japan for the treatment of osteoporosis since 1995. Several thousand times more than what people are currently getting in their diet has been taken without any toxicity. Dosage depends on an individual's diet, age, whether they are taking drugs, and what stressors are present. Generally, 10 mg/day is recommended.

vitalady
on 8/5/11 4:22 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
is your K2 in the Mk4 (bad) or MK7 (good)?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

scubadiva
on 8/5/11 9:58 pm
MK4 (Very,very Good)...... MK7 no bone benefit that I have found in a study.  But I'm still looking/researching this.

Vitamin K2 (menaquinone), is itself a category of vitamin K that includes many types of vitamin K2. The two subtypes of vitamin K2 that have been most studied are menaquinone-4 (menatetrenone, MK4) and menaquinone-7 (MK7). MK4 is produced via conversion of vitamin K1 in the body, in the testes, pancreas and arterial walls.[3] While major questions still surround the biochemical pathway for the transformation of vitamin K1 to MK4, studies demonstrate that the conversion is not dependent on gut bacteria, occurring in germ-free rats[4][5] and in parenterally-administered K1 in rats.[6][7] In fact, tissues that accumulate high amounts of MK4 have a remarkable capacity to convert up to 90% of the available K1 into MK4.[8][9]

In contrast to MK4, MK7 is not produced by humans but is converted from phylloquinone in the intestines by gut bacteria.[10] However, bacteria-derived menaquinones appear to contribute minimally to overall vitamin K status.[11][12] MK4 and MK7 are both found in the United States in dietary supplements for bone health. The US FDA has not approved any form of vitamin K for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis; however, MK4 has been shown to decrease fractures up to 87%.[13] In the amount of 45 mg daily MK4 has been approved by the Ministry of Health in Japan since 1995 for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.[14] MK4 has also been shown to prevent bone loss and/or fractures caused by corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone, dexamethasone, prednisolone),[15][16][17][18] anorexia nervosa,[19] cirrhosis of the liver,[20] postmenopausal osteoporosis,[21][22][23][24][25][26] disuse from stroke,[27] Alzheimer’s disease,[28] Parkinson disease,[29] primary biliary cirrhosis[30] and leuprolide treatment (for prostate cancer).[31] MK7 has never been shown in any clinical trials to reduce fractures and is not approved by any government for the prevention or treatment of any disease. However, in 19 February 2011, HSA (Singapore) has approved a health supplement which contains vitamin K2 (MK7) and vitamin D3 for increasing bone mineral density.[32]

scubadiva
on 8/5/11 10:18 pm
I now take BOTH MK4 (45mg/daily from "Osteo K") and MK7.   This cardiologist also recommends taking both. 

2) Vitamin K2–If you lived in Japan, you would be prescribed vitamin K2. While it’s odd that K2 is a “drug" in Japan, it means that it enjoys the validation required for approval through their FDA-equivalent. Prescription K2 (as MK-4 or menatetranone) at doses of 15,000-45,000 mcg per day (15-45 mg), improves bone architecture, even when administered by itself. However, K2 works best when part of a broader program of bone health. I advise 1000 mcg per day, preferably a mixture of the short-acting MK-4 and long-acting MK-7. (Emerging data measuring bone resorption markers suggest that lower doses may work nearly as well as the high-dose prescription.)

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 12:20 pm - San Jose, CA
I started taking 1 of Vitalady's 1K mcg K1/day last year.  After 5 months, my K was too high.  I cut back to 1 every three days, which seems to be just right.
scubadiva
on 8/4/11 1:15 pm
Shopping Results Relevance Price - Low to High Price - High to Low

NSI Vitamin K-1 -- 10 mg - 90 Capsules

I bought this.  Hefty amount of Vitamin K1.  10 mg.   Why would this be on the market if not a little safe? lol. Besides knowing our osteocalcin levels, I wonder if measuring the k dependent proteins would be useful... protein S and/or C?  These affect coagulation.  I'm not sure how accurate a vitamin K level reading is without knowing more about those coagulation factors.  I think it's possible to have a normal Vitamin K level but other things might be off.  Why do DSers seem to have bleeding issues? either with clotting or excess bleeds?  Might it be DS related somehow?  Is it our K levels?  A complete all inclusive coagulation test on a DSer would be interesting I think.   I've been reading so much about K.  There is a lot to it actually.  And taking more of the vitamin just seems to be better from what I'm reading....  I use pubmed to do searches on factor S, Vitamin K etc.  Anyway.  Just rambling thoughts.  :)
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 12:28 pm - Yorktown, VA
I do get prothrombin time tested with my labs.  Isn't this along the lines of what you're suggesting?
scubadiva
on 8/5/11 1:17 pm
I was getting my prothrombin time measured but found this in an article (see below).  Thus, osteocalcin and proteins S/C are more sensitive markers for Vitamin K status according to what I've been reading. Prothrombin time is not reliable enough...

"Th

human vitamin K deficiency has been functional:

abnormally long prothrombin time.

relatively insensitive, however, because prothrombin

can be 50-percent less active before a value is

considered out of the normal range.

e classic test for"This test is122
Recent Topics