SELF REFERAL for Iron Infussion

stormy918
on 8/4/11 4:15 am
I just got home from my iron infuision...easy peasy. Kelsey Siebold Clinic in Houston is fantastic.

I met yesterday with the head of Hemotolagy, Dr T??? Patel. This man is great! He truly "gets it" He was not familiar with DS and he asked LOTS of questions. He does, however, infuse large numbers of RNY and banders. He understands the malabsorbtion in WLS folks.

He did state that ihop WLs folks should just do infusions..even preop..and forget oral irons. He said at some point we lose the absorbtion of it and also by doin infusions we dont deal with the gastric/intestinal upsets most see with orals. Also, even without insurance the self pay I was quoted is cheaper than what I pay annualy for iron.

All ya gotta do is call em, make an appt with him and fax em your labs. I went in at 8am..8:30 had steroids and tylenol...9 had 500mg ferameme iron (took 2 minutes) and 30 minutes later the IV was pulled and I was good to go.

Lots of folks get by with one ...some need 2 but hey 1 hour atart to finish beats sitting there for 4-8 hours 2-3 times in a couple week period.

So....anybody need to make a trip? I got a spare bed..LOL

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

sweetpotato1959
on 8/4/11 4:22 am
 I use Buffalo liver extract caps, from buffalo calf liver and  it gets my iron up fine without Dr appointments...I just don't tolerate any other p.o Iron...  I even took a foltrin last week and it hurt me...an indication that I have enough Iron. The buffalo liver and Foltrin both have the intrinsic factor in them, which allows people to absorb the iron that otherwise can't be absorbed, unless you want to eat liver, an ounce or so two times a day...Buffalo liver caps are available from Carlson labs via way of the vitamin cottage in denver
calendargirl
on 8/4/11 7:06 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Good info, Stormy!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Petunia
on 8/6/11 8:22 am
 Stormy, I had my second infusion of Feraheme yesterday with no problem.  Strange that you had steroids and tylenol with yours, I just had the IV and the Feraheme.  They do make me wait for an hour with the IV before I can leave.  I'm scheduled to have my iron levels checked in 2 weeks and I'll let you know how they are.  
bldeck
on 8/6/11 8:24 am - Farmington, NM
I totally miss Kelsey Seybold.

They were always wonderful to me.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

Recent Topics