Does RNY to DS cure RH in non dumpers?

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 7:15 am
I have seen several posts from RNYers considering revision to the DS to cure RH, and I'm wondering if this is really a viable option if RH is the only complication.

Before my revision I also had severe dumping syndrome, which I believe to be the cause of my RH problems. I'm wondering about my fellow RNY to DSers whose RH was cured with revison if you also had severe dumping syndrome or not. I know there are several causes for RH after RNY, and it's not only from not preserving the pylorus.

What are your thoughts on this?
sandy_mt
on 8/3/11 7:37 am
 I rarely dumped with my RNY unless I would drink a whole milkshake or something, but I would get awful eposides of reactive hypoglycemia from time to time, like once every 2 months or so.  AND it would always be when I was away from home..shopping with the kids at Costco or something like that.  Too soon to tell whether or not I will have RH with my DS as I am only a few weeks out, but from what Dr. Roslin said, the RH comes from the food leaving the pouch so quickly (dilated anastomosis). 

Sandy

teachmid
on 8/3/11 8:28 am - OKC, OK
I didn't have severe dumping like many folks but had worsening RH, almost daily and sometimes several times a day. I have had absolutely no problems since surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

kjfras
on 8/3/11 9:30 am - North Lauderdale, FL
I never had the "normal" dumping...I could eat a whole snickers bar and be fine but if I had ketchup..forget it...I'd have horrible dumping. It was weird....I had horrible RH with the RNY too the point where almost everyday I would have an episode. Since my DS...nothing!! I love it!!!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Renfairewench
on 8/3/11 10:19 am
 I dumped and had RH quite often when I had my RNY. Passed out cold in the shower once without much warning.  Since my revision I have not had and RH or dumping in the RNY truest sense. If I eat sugar it does sail through my intestines and my BM's are foamy and very very watery.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

need2gethealthy
on 8/3/11 12:00 pm
 Wow "Renfairewench" , was just reading some of your posts and you have been through a lot.
I admire you and thank you for sharing your story with us.  You look great and I hope that you feel as good as you look.

I am getting ready to make an appt for the sleeve and was reading about your leak.  I am torn between 2 different doctors at 2 different hospitals.  I had lapband removed 2+ years ago and had some damage.  I am trying to not focus on (what if I have a leak) but yet I am almost feeling obsessed about it at times and it's hard for me to pick a surgeon because of it.  I want to go to Dr. Trace Curry in Cincinnati because I trust him and the hospital is only 2 hours for me (it's a small hospital and I've been there and they treat you so good with less chance for infection) or a very well known facility (The Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Schauer which is a wonderful doctor and I trust him completely as well)  That hospital is 4 hours away for me.  Like I say, I am torn and driving myself mad on days trying to pick.  If you have any advice for me as to which hospital or surgeon I would so appreciate it and really listen to you.  I feel like both surgeons are equal but the facility at Cleveland Clinic is a large facility.  Yet it's 4 hours away.

Again, thank you for your story and I am so sorry that you had to go through what you did.  May you have a great time from now on and just enjoy every day with your beautiful self.
Recent Topics