how much vit d pre-op to increase levels?

Metamorphosis X.
on 8/2/11 11:24 am - Canada
Hi all,

I'm going to be having my DS surgery on Aug. 25th and recently had my pre-op blood tests done. My vitamin D is low - 67 (normal range is 76 to 250 in Canada) - I wanted to know how much vitamin D to take between now and then to get my levels up higher.

I want to make sure that the prescription I get for D3 is for the correct amount.

Thanks,

Meta
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 11:31 am
 If you are getting a prescription for your vitamin D it will be oil based and D2, so that will be good for you until Aug. 25th. After that you will need vitamin "DRY D3, 50,000 IU". That you can NOT buy by prescription.

So, if I where you I would get my Dry D3 now from Vitalady and get started on it, and after surgery you will already have the right vitamin.

If you are low in vitamin D right now you can easily take the D3 50,000 IU every other day until your surgery. It would help get your levels up closer to what you need.

Good Luck

butercup
on 8/2/11 12:08 pm - Kennewick, WA
I'm pre op too and I was low too.  I'm on 50,000 D 3 times a week.  I also have B12 injections once a week and I'm getting iron infusions.  I also take iron, calcium, and a multi.
YeahItsCase
on 8/2/11 1:37 pm
I am pre-op at well..my D was 23. I am taking 50k IU daily until surgery.

sdld2001
on 8/3/11 12:25 am - Summerville, SC
I was like 18 at 3 months preop. I started taking 5,000 iu of D3 (not dry) and by surgery it was up to the 50's. If you are aggressive with until surgery you should at least be able to bring it up some. I would go ahead and get some D3 at the drug store over-the-counter (NOT the D2 that you get with a prescription) and put in an order to VL for the dry. It may take a week or so to get there and I wouldn't wait until then to get started.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
Metamorphosis X.
on 8/3/11 6:27 am - Canada
Thanks for your input - I found a compounding pharmacy that will make 50,000IU of D3 - it is not available here in the pharmacy.

If I take one a day for the next 22 days I should be able to get it up before surgery

Thanks again,

Meta
Metamorphosis X.
on 8/3/11 12:43 pm - Canada
I just thought that this medical journal article would be interesting for those who want to get their Vitamin D levels up. I just found it.

http://www.eje-online.org/content/162/4/805

Cholecalciferol loading dose guideline for vitamin D-deficient adults
Elizabeth N.
on 8/4/11 3:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
Take D3 cholecalciferol, 50,000 IU, daily, at the minimum. You might even consider 100,000 IU every other day.  Do not concern yourself with "toxicity." It ain't gonna happen in three weeks regardless, and it would be unlikely to happen at all.

Recent Topics