Fasting in Ramadan

inofwls
on 8/5/11 6:04 am
Ya Ukhti, I would not lie about not fasting, you just recently had major surgery
if the people that are surrounded you had taqwaAllah, then no one would question your decision not to fast.  
Keep in mind lying and deciet is not permissible it is haram especially this month.  Have you thought about  calling your surgeon and let him explain to your zawoj why  fasting will put  you at deaths door this early post-op ?  I am afraid for you with the
weather conditions in Qatr etc you need to be hydrated period. There is no complusion in Al-Islam, do not lie be honest and move forward, if the people have a problem it's on them not you.

-Maryama

"Beauty is not in the face, Beauty is a light in the heart"
          -Khalil Gibran

RainyDayWoman
on 8/5/11 9:43 am - Fridley, MN
Lynn, I get how competitive Ramadan can be.  I get tired of smug frenemies telling me they nursed tiny babies when fasting (and half the time follow it up with, "Then I lost my milk supply!")  But luckily, my real friends get it.

I would explain to your DH that people with fasting experience strongly advised you against fasting - it truly could land you back in the hospital in a heartbeat.  Enlist help from a scholar if you can!
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 3:36 pm - San Jose, CA
I will be 8 years out on Friday.  On days when I can't eat first thing in the morning (e.g., fasting blood work a couple of weeks ago), by 3-4 hours after waking up, I have diarrhea and intestinal cramps, and my stomach feels like it is eating itself.  And that is WITH taking the Protonix.

If I were an observant Jew, which I am not, I still would not fast on Yom Kippur, because it messes my guts up too much.  But then again, being hungry does not make me feel spiritual in any way.
LovableLynn
on 8/3/11 4:10 pm - Qatar
I know exactly what you mean when you say it feels like your stomach is eating itself. The 2 days I fasted were horrendous. I was trying to explain it to my DH and I am sure he thought I was exagerating.

In the end I don't care right now what the people around me think... I know I am not exagerating and God knows why I cannot fast so I have no guilty feelings... plus... I will substitute my fasting days by feeding the poor (which is what people with diabetes are required to do because they are forbidden to fast)

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 4:19 pm - San Jose, CA
Wow - a person feeling free to question an adult's commitment to how they honor their relationship with their own personal deity - another reason I don't care for organized religion. 

Not your religion specifically - it happens in just about ALL religions.  My father's family are mostly Orthodox Jews, and they have some chutzpah snarking at how OTHERS worship as well - the Reform or Conservative Jews aren't observant enough - not "real" Jews, and the Hassidic Jews are over the top crazy and ridiculously obsessed with religious minutae.  They are the only ones who do it right, of course.

I'm glad you don't let your husband's judgment of your decision about how to observe your rites make you feel "less than" - I would be much less tolerant of being questioned like that.

(Then again, due to my sense of humor and our blended family, our "traditional" Hanukkah dinner for the last 12 years has been latkes and pork loin.  Because they both go with applesauce.)
LovableLynn
on 8/3/11 5:09 pm - Qatar
HAHAHA!!!

It is a good thing that I have developed a thicker skin when it comes to someone questioning my faith. I am a Muslim convert from a very strict Roman Catholic family..... and even 10 years after my conversion I still get it from all sides of the coin.... from family members who still cannot accept that I am the same person and who accuse me of being a traitor....and from born Muslims who tell me I am not a real Muslim.... I know for sure my husband is not questioning my faith, he just does not want me to miss out on the virtues of Ramadan so I take no offence to him now as he has been more than supportive during this new life changing journey of mine.

inofwls
on 8/5/11 5:44 am
As salaamou alaykii wa rahmatoul lahi wa barakatouhou.

Hello Lynn, Ramadhan Mubarak!

Fasting is Compulsory on every Muslim who is sane, adult, able and resident. There are exemptions and you fall into one of the exemptions. 
I do not want to go into fiqh here, since you live in Qatr you can ask the ulema about the exemptions if you do not know.

I did not fast the my first post-op year because, I was only 3 months post-op. I needed the hydration and the protien as well as my supplements.

Ya Ukhti, honestly you are only a few weeks post-op and the siyam will bring you great harm. 
continue to observe Ramadhan without the siyam(fasting). for everyday you miss fasting you have two options for making them up, 1.) feed a poor person every day that you miss fasting. 2.) make-up the fast before the next Ramadhan comes in Allahou aleem. I chose to feed people for each day I missed fasting I was not sure if I would be able to make up the fast before the required time. 

I was not able to fast the following year I tried but, became very weak lighthead and had to go to hospital because, I was dehydrated.

Al hamdoul lahi this is my second year that I could fast the entire Ramadhan.   Incha Allah next year you will be able to fast as well.

Do not bring harm to yourself by trying to fast at 4 weeks post-op!
Barakal lahou feekii.

-Maryama

"Beauty is not in the face, Beauty is a light in the heart"
          -Khalil Gibran

LovableLynn
on 8/5/11 5:56 am - Qatar
Wa alekom salam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu

Jazak'Allah kheir for all the helpful advice. Everything that you told me I already knew but as I am surrounded by so many people who do not understand this surgery I am under tremendous pressure.

Regardless of that pressure, I will not do anything to harm my health during this critical post op healing time.

Ramadan Mubarak to all my fellow Muslims!!

Elizabeth N.
on 8/5/11 9:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
Thank you for sharing this publicly. It's so much fun to learn new stuff :-). I read about different religions online, but have very few opportunities to spend time with either Jews or Muslims and learn directly about the practice of the faiths.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/5/11 5:58 am - Tuvalu

All of the major religions have exemptions for those who need them and right about now, you are one of those people!

As for the busybodies, can't you imply that you're being watched for diabetes and need to go to Plan B?
Recent Topics