Getting discouraged after only 8 weeks

Poodles
on 8/2/11 1:39 pm - TX
I would go to a bland diet.  No sauces for a while. 

Think soups, mushie stage type stuff.   You may want to do shakes for your protein at this point and give your tummy time to heal.

When I had problems with my lap band they always knocked me back to mushie stage so my tummy could rest.  Although this is a different situation, maybe a few days of soft bland food may help and give you a chance to try something else towards the end of the week.

If you have been sick alot... your tummy needs a break.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

sonia8338
on 8/2/11 5:10 pm
Hi there, i dont know if this will help, but i thought this blogpost on eating was good: Its called "when eating totally sucks" and it might have some suggestions you can use.

http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/ds-resources/eating/when-eating-totally-sucks/
Peace and Love
Lisey is my Angel

Heather E.
on 8/2/11 10:51 pm
Have you tried drinking some hot peppermint tea for the nausea?  When I was right about where you were, I started having a lot of nausea, too.  The great people here suggested drinking some peppermint tea, and it was a miracle.  I am not really a hot tea drinker, but this really helped me.

Some other things to consider:  are you on a PPI (acid reducer) like Prilosec or Prevacid?  I can get really nauseous if my GERD is not under control.  At your stage, only being able to eat 1 oz. at a time is not abnormal.  Heck, I have days STILL where that's about all I can eat.  It's just our "new normal."  Are you lactose intolerant?  I am, and if I eat/drink anything with a higher lactose content than my body can handle, I want to curl up in a ball and die...nausea, gas, bloating...just miserable.  Cheese and yogurt don't usually bother me, but it also depends on "quality" - if something is highly processed, it seems to give me more problems than something that is more natural.

I've only thrown up after eating a few times since my DS.  Mostly, I can attribute it to eating too much too fast, or my GERD being out of control.  Hope this helps.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Chad M.
on 8/2/11 11:35 pm - Indianapolis, IN
It's frustrating to feel like you are so far behind "normal" progress--believe me, I understand. I still was not eating anywhere near normally at 2 months out. In fact I believe I was still NPO at that point.

Have you been scoped? Has your surgeon talked about doing one? This could be something physical, like a stricture.
larra
on 8/3/11 12:37 am - bay area, CA
I agree with Chad - if this persists, it could be a stricture. Or you could have gastritis. Either way, endoscopy would be helpful. And even if they find nothing wrong, at least you would know that things should improve with time.
     An acid reducer may also be very helpful, and is different from Zofran. Almost everyone seems to need one early on.
     You are not alone. I also had a lot of eating problems, though not vomiting, that persisted for months. Endoscopy showed absolutely nothing wrong, and eventually the problems all went away.

Larra
Gina_N.
on 8/3/11 2:29 am
Thanks everyone!  I called the doctors office today and they got me in on the 18th just to see the surgeon, so an endoscopy will not happen for probably 3-4 weeks.  Hopefully I will feel much better by then. I really appreciate everyones input.
Gina
beemerbeeper
on 8/3/11 5:39 am - AL
I personally would not wait 3 weeks to find out if I had a stricture.  You should be able to keep down small bites of soft foods at this stage.

I threw up one time EVER.  So I don't think it is normal to throw up.

While you wait for help (and again 3 weeks is too long to wait imo) I would go back to protein shakes, protein pudding, protein ricotta fluff and greek yogurt and such.  Try one bite at a time.  If one bite stays down then try two bites.

Are you getting AT LEAST 64 oz of fluids?

Will you check in with us in a couple of days please?

~Becky

~Becky

MarciRenee
on 8/3/11 10:01 am - IA
I also wouldn't wait 3-4 weeks for an endoscopy.  I would ask for the referral to whoever is going to do that now...no way, no how would I barf for another 3 weeks.

Since no one has asked - ARE YOU DEHYDRATED?  That causes and perpetuates nausea.

1.  SLOW DOWN EATING.  Stop eating BEFORE you feel full.  Take breaks between bites.
2.  STOP eating pasta and chips.  Those are not what you need.  I couldn't do chicken or ground beef for MONTHS.
3.  Stop expecting to eat "meals".  Expect to eat 4 bites or less of food each time you eat.
4.  Try some of these foods in place of what you've been eating:
Cheese Sticks
Peanut Butter
Yogurt
Creamed Soups
Fatty Meats
Mashed Potatoes w/butter and cheese
Broths
Lunch meat w/cream cheese
Eggs (scrambled w/cheese, over easy, egg salad w/ lots of may, poached, etc)
5.  Get on an acid reducer, STAT.
6.  You are NOT ready to progress to unrestricted diet - you need to keep yourself at the soft mushy stage until you get the whole barfing thing under control.
Marci       
Gina_N.
on 8/4/11 12:05 pm
I wanted to thank sonia8338 for that link, it is a really good one.  I got some good tips from it. Thanks
Gina
Recent Topics