Thread breaking down hydration for newbies?

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 6:00 am - TX
I'm remembering a thread that went through and broke down how to get in your 64oz for Newbies.  I want to say it took it down to T per hour...  I think the last time I saw it Elizabeth N had posted it to the MB

I've tried searching and I'm limping in here begging for help.  We have a slew of newbies in Lubbock and I need to copy it for them!!

Thanks,
Rags
BeSwitched
on 8/2/11 7:14 am, edited 1/24/12 4:55 am

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 7:36 am
Would you mind copying and pasting the OP, please?  Many of us are blocked by her for one reason or another.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 8:53 am - TX
Here you go!  This really is brilliant.

This is something I want all you preops to practice a bit until you really KNOW what it is to sip. It will stand you in good stead in those early postop weeks when you are thinking you'll barf yourself to death on more than 16 oz. of fluids.

Get the following: a measuring teaspoon, a measuring tablespoon, a single size shot glass. Sit down with them and a glass of fluid of choice. Oh, and get a stopwatch or digital timer.

I shall divide this exercise into three parts. Please try all three.

1. Let us begin with the shot glass. Pour out a shot of water and down it by sucking it through pursed lips--sipping, not chugging--in one swallow. Feel how big that swallow is? Practice it several times until you KNOW how it feels.

Once you KNOW this feeling, take out that timer and take a full minute to ingest that jigger of water. TIME YOURSELF and make yourself do it over a full minute, NOT in one swallow.

64 oz. per day means doing one of those shot glasses 64 times. If you take a full minute to empty that shot glass, you will spend a total of 64 minutes of your whole entire day drinking.

2. If you fear this will be too much water to ingest in one minute, take the tablespoon and repeat the exercise. A tablespoon is 1/2 oz. So, by drinking a tablespoon of fluid in one minute (USE THE TIMER AND TAKE THE FULL MINUTE TO DO THIS), you will spend two hours and 8 minutes of your day drinking.

3. Think this is impossible? Repeat the exercise using a teaspoon. Doing a teaspoon per minute (TAKE  THE FULL MINUTE!!) will take you six hours and 24 minutes of your day.

Okay? Don't tell me 64 ounces is an impossible amount of fluid to ingest in a day. You can do it and still have LOTS of time to sleep, poop, walk etc. Yes, you will feel it. It might be uncomfortable. You might have nausea. If you do, get it medicated. Use your acid reducer and your antiemetic. If you can't keep down a teaspoon of water per minute, you are in trouble and belong in your doc's office or in the ER. It might feel like pure **** to keep it down, but that's basically tough bananas. Keeping it DOWN is what counts. Feeling good while you keep it down does NOT.

It might take this kind of work to hydrate yourself early postop. Get your head around it NOW.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 8:55 am - TX
Thank you! Thank you!  This will help our dry newbies.
Recent Topics