Is there a myth that you can eat anything after the DS and lose weight?

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 1:46 pm
It's good that you brought this topic up, because I see a lot of DSers who seem to feel they're invincible with this surgery.
beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 1:58 pm - AL
Thank you.

I've actually felt a little disappointed to find myself actually having to "work" at this.  I'm sure I "heard" what I wanted to "hear" pre-op, which was "I eat anything I want and never gain an ounce."

I think this is DS sacrilege.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 1:47 pm - Yorktown, VA
I totally know what you were saying.  I didn't mean to imply that you were "wrong."  I was simply offering my experience so far and my perspective of the bites and vites threads.

I'm not counting on being able to eat like this forever, though I certainly wouldn't complain if I could!  I imagine I am well within my "honeymoon" period right now. 

You didn't break your DS!  Aren't you like 5'9" and a size 4 or 6?  (Is it strange that I remember this about you without looking?!?)  That ain't no broke DS!  ;)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/1/11 2:05 pm - Tuvalu
On August 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, ysset888 wrote:
I agree that it's a YMMV thing......

Don't hate me, but I've basically spent the past year eating whatever the hell I want and can't gain any significant weight.  I do eat high protein and always get at least 100 grams in, but I also literally eat anything else I want, be it bread, pasta, oreos, sweet tea, whatever.  Here I sit at 144 today.  I fluctuate up to about 149 or 150 when I'm about to start my period, but that's normal.

I do realize that I am a tad shy of 2 years out and that things may not stay this way forever.  At that point, I will have to reign things in a bit and find the comfortable balance between what I want to weigh/what size clothes I want to wear and what type of diet I want to eat.  I fully acknowledge that this is most likely not a free ride to eat whatever for the rest of my life.

I also want to comment on the bites and vites thread.  I personally do not post on those threads for several reasons......I would look like a total heiffer with what and how much I eat......I don't want to be seen as rubbing that in other's faces when they are struggling and I don't want to give newbies the wrong impression by seeing my diet.......I also feel like I get reprimanded if I post that I ate 5 doublestuff oreos in the afternoon and then also had a twinkie after dinner, which had some stuffing and a crescent roll with it, yaddayaddayadda.  So, my point is that I don't really think the bites and vites thread is an accurate snapshot of what all DSers eat post-op.  I think it's a snapshot of how many of those currently trying to maintain a low(ish) carb diet eat.  I also don't think I'm the only person who doesn't post in those threads for the same reasons I just mentioned.

"I do realize that I am a tad shy of 2 years out and that things may not stay this way forever.  At that point, I will have to reign things in a bit"

BINGO.

Problem can be that, until the scale is suddenly moving upward, you don't KNOW you've reached that point.

But, with the DS, there is always a good chance of correcting the problem.

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 2:12 pm - Yorktown, VA
I know!  I always try and counter my current state of being able to eat whatever I want with a statement acknowledging that this current state will most likely come to an end.  I don't want newbies thinking that having the DS = freedom to eat whatever forever and maintain a size 6.  I realize that is not reality. 

:)
MajorMom
on 8/1/11 8:18 pm - VA
Good grief, maybe I should rename Bites & Vites to Can't Win for Losing. 

I've asked folks to let me know what their goals are and I'll support. It's an accountability thread for those who want to use it, that's really all it is intended to be. If I know that someone is trying to stay low carb, I may ask about the Twinkies but I really just try to encourage. If I step out of line, I expect to be corrected by the person.

My diet is my choice not a model. I drink shakes because I like them and it's a "no brainer" to keep track of protein grams with them...efficient and effective.  How people choose to use them or not use them is up to them. They work for me, so I will suggest them if someone asks how they can maintain or lose.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

geutenmorgan
on 8/1/11 2:36 pm
What does YMMV stand for? I have seen several people refer to it in this post and others.
Thanks for explaining.
YeahItsCase
on 8/1/11 2:40 pm
your mileage may vary..or, your situation may be different

zuzupetals2u2
on 8/1/11 3:02 pm - Sedona, AZ
YMMV- I  was wondering what that meant too but I wouldn't  have ever guessed that one! LOL

I am anticipating being able to eat like a thin person with a good metabolism when I get my weight off because that is what I once read a DS'er could do and I like the sound of it. There is no way I am going to be on the Atkins the rest of my life for 10-20 pounds or even more. I will regain until I am pleasantly plump before I ever live that way!

I can do gluten & dairy fine and ya I have gas sometimes but  I live with it. If I could eat the way the people do who post their meals here on vites & bites I wouldn't be here. I am glad they are getting their gold stars and working it but I am more the ilk to get away with just about as much as I can before I make any sacrifices. And posting it was horrifying to me because I eat the pizza crust & the hot dog bun and the taco shell and the tortilla  - tho I am not much for pasta and potatoes I will have them if I want too. I am a brat. And I dont want to lead any newbie astray so I lurk.

Becky I remember you still eat chocolate and I remember that as it makes me see you really are human but I think you are more of a good girl than I could ever be!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

newyorkbitch
on 8/1/11 7:59 pm, edited 8/1/11 7:59 pm
I am 11.5 years post-op.  I am not on the Atkins diet or anything remotely like that.  What happens is I eat more or less what I want,  trying to limit my simple carbs.  It doesn't feel like dieting.  I don't count anything,  I don't drink any shakes or protein drinks or anything like that.  I simply try to stay conscious of my simple carb intake.  And if I feel a little weight creep,  I spend 2-3 weeks eliminating simple carbs and reducing my complex carbs and I lose a few pounds.  It's really not that big a deal.  That is the beauty of the DS.

I don't know where you read that a DSer is "able to eat like a thin person with a good metabolism" because long term that is simply not true.

And yes,  I ate whatever I wanted for a few years and then.....that didn't work anymore.  I strongly suggest that those of you who are still in the early stages,  like 3 years and under....teach yourself some good habits now,  jus****ch your simple carbs,  lay off the sweets....because you will wake up one day and go oh **** now I have to re-learn everything and go on a diet...but if you just chill out on the carbs,  nothing dramatic,  and just learn to eat that way,  you won't ever find yourself in the position that so many DSers do a few years out,  which is oh **** I've gained 25 lbs help help help and that's not so easy to deal with fast.  Just don't let that happen in the first place.  With the DS,  it's not that hard - you can eat tons and tons of fat and protein etc etc...just don't go nuts on the carbs.

It's not that I never eat a big plate of pasta for example,  I just don't do it often.  It's not that I never have a handful of cookies,  I just don't do it often.

Recent Topics