Any traveling hints or ideas?

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 6:29 am
This has actually been my question, I'm so glad you asked it. I travel 3-5 days each week for my job and I'm concerned about eating on the road. I never have access to a blender for shakes and rarely have a microwave (unless I'm lucky enough to have a Hyatt Place in the town where I will be). I'm concerned about having the DS because of my job requirements. Do any of you travel often?
teachmid
on 8/1/11 7:05 am - OKC, OK
I use several blender bottles and haven't used my blender since I had surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

linda1814
on 8/1/11 12:22 pm
Lynmarie, 
I travel 100% for work.  It is completely do-able.  I was afraid before I had surgery since no matter how much I read on here (and I read everything since I was obsessed) I always felt like my own post-op life was so uncertain.  I make protein coffees when I feel the need to supplement with protein powder.... as long as the coffee isn't super super hot, my champion nutrition mixes so easily with a spoon.  I just use a few of those little half and half cups like they give you restaurants.  

Please feel free to PM me with any questions that you have.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

bldeck
on 8/1/11 6:36 am, edited 8/1/11 6:37 am - Farmington, NM
I just came back from a 5 day convention in Cleveland Ohio.

I didn't take and shakes but I did take protein bars.  I had a protein bar everyday except for on the way back because timing caused and issue at the airport.  I ate pretty normal lunch and dinner and did the trail mix of nuts for snacks in between.  What saved me most was there was a close McDonald's and Dunkin donuts.  Every morning I ate two egg mcmuffins(18), or two of Dunkin Donuts egg mcmuffins(20). I did take off half of the bun for each sandwich but this was the easiest way I found to get in a lot of protein and not bother my day.   I was able to go and get them eat get ready for day and then eat again, before leaving for class.

Betty

Edited to Add:

After that it was easy to get the rest with a protein bar, and lunch and dinner.  Heck even the cleveland zoo did a grilled chicken breast and I just ate the meat.

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

teachmid
on 8/1/11 7:07 am - OKC, OK
Again, some good ideas. Thanks.
     -Gail-

calendargirl
on 8/1/11 8:22 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Gail, they have Trader Joe's in St. Louis... they have some yummy stuff, all you have to do is heat up.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

teachmid
on 8/1/11 9:39 am - OKC, OK
I know. Have been there. But this time, no transportation.
     -Gail-

determineddanni
on 8/1/11 2:58 pm
Since we are on this topic, how is traveling with a load of pills in airports?? Has anyone had trouble with security thinking they are some odd substance .... since you have so much it looks like your packing for 5 people lol

Just random thought....
linda1814
on 8/1/11 11:21 pm
Might only be an issue going overseas.  

For domestic travel, always pack your vites or anything that you CANNOT do without in your carry-on.  I travel by plane usually every week and have never had any trouble ... and I always pack a few days more worth of vites just in case.   I also carry on protein powder that I've measured out into snack size ziploc baggies.  No one has ever looked twice at it. 

Now... my batwings.... those have earned my arms (specifically my left one) at pat-down twice going through the xray scanner.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 1:23 am

I am gone overnight 2-4 days a week, sometimes driving, sometimes by plane. It's very doable. My portable snacks are almonds and various cheeses. I never used a blender for my protein shakes, just a shaker cup. I always have protein on me!

I agree with making sure your vites/meds are secure. I use a travel pouch system from Megallans catalog. It has 28 tough little zipper pounches in a nylon wallet.  I take a couple pounches out and drop them in my purse to take throughout the day.

I usually eat eggs and meat for breakfast. The rest of the day is salads (I eat mostly the meat and some veggies and leave the lettuce) sandwiches and burgers without the bun (ask for a knife and fork). And of course, protein shakes. You can measure them out in little freezer baggies if the canister is too big.

I try to get a room with a frige and microwave, which allows me to save leftovers, but it's not necessary.

My other comment is that traveling is tiring. I took 6 weeks off work before I got back into it. I was also nervous about being too far away from my surgeon too soon after surgery. Be sure to give yourself enough time before jumping back into a full-time traveling lifestyle.

Recent Topics