Any traveling hints or ideas?

teachmid
on 8/1/11 4:22 am - OKC, OK
I will be flying to St. Louis next month for four days with DD and 2 other girlfriends. We'll be staying at a downtown hotel and will not have a rental car. I'm starting to make plans and would love some new ideas.

I plan to take baggies with cake shake ingredients (becky's idea) and protein powder for protein coffees. Starbuck's is 2 blocks away so I plan to go over and get a big cup of cream. I'll also have some protein bars as emergency back up.

Any other suggestions?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

StacyB88888
on 8/1/11 4:42 am - FL
If you avoid flour/gluten you could search for and map out GF friendly restaurants ahead of time...peruse the menus and/or call ahead...get an idea of your options/limitations.

Can you request a mini fridge in your room to hold snacks and left overs from restaurants? I would map out the closest grocery store or determine if you can make a grocery stop on the way to the hotel from the airport...pick up some string cheese, deli meat, hard boiled eggs(in egg section and deli area)..see if any of the grocery stores offer delivery service to the hotel. I am not familiar with St. Louis at all....but that's what I could think of off the top of my head... I eat gluten free...so  am constantly planning ahead.
teachmid
on 8/1/11 4:48 am - OKC, OK
Thanks. We will have a fridge on the room. I don't remember about the microwave, but there are several in the lobby.
     -Gail-

beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 4:42 am - AL
My biggest travel fiasco was when my pill boxes opened up in my suitcase and vites went everywhere.  I could have cried.  Now I wrap those pillboxes in saran/plastic wrap.

~Becky

trxxyy
on 8/1/11 5:02 am - Orange County, CA
Becky, great tip!

I am currently traveling and I put all my pill containers in a gallon zip lock bag, mainly to keep them all together.  Thank goodness I did that since I pulled the bag out of my backpack and noticed that some of the pill container lids had popped open...disaster averted.

newyorkbitch
on 8/1/11 4:50 am
I really don't mean to sound snarky here....but since you are traveling....why not just eat food ???
beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 5:37 am - AL
I always take protein powder with me when I travel.  I don't always have access to protein, or enough protein when I travel. I get busy or wind up in locations that don't sell protein or if they do you get one hamburger patty for $6.00.   So I have learned to always take protein powder when I travel.

I have learned by trial and error that I feel better and eat fewer carbs when I do three or four protein shakes a day.  When I stopped doing those (because I was routinely getting 150 grams of protein thru food each day) my weight went up and I felt like crap.  While my protein indicators did not fall below "normal" they had started to decline.  So it was pretty obvious between how I felt, my weight, and my labs that I do much much better when I supplement protein via whey powder, 3-4 times a day, including when I travel.

~Becky

teachmid
on 8/1/11 5:00 am - OKC, OK
I plan to eat food, but still struggle with dense proteins.
     -Gail-

trxxyy
on 8/1/11 5:06 am - Orange County, CA
I am traveling right now and it has been pretty easy.  I asked at Starbucks if they would blend my protein powder into an iced coffee drink and they said no problem.  Chocolate protein, iced coffee, cream and sugar free cinammon syrup....Yum!
teachmid
on 8/1/11 7:04 am - OKC, OK
Great idea. I keep Starbucks in business,
     -Gail-

Recent Topics