Coming up on my surgery date thoughts..

ambermay
on 7/31/11 11:02 pm
So tomorrow I start my pre op diet.  I am kinda excited kinda know this is really really gonna suck.  Especially with having 2 birthday parties, one baby shower, and a random party all planned before the surgery date.  While I will not be able to eat any cake.. or ice cream... or any food that will be at these events.  I kinda just wanna exclude myself from all of them but I know, My life can't and won't stop just because for a while I can't eat.. I have to drink.  so Yeah that does suck.

Is it common to not find out the time of your surgery until the night before.  That is causing me soooo much stress.  They sent a letter saying they will call at 4 pm the night before to give me the time to be there for surgery.  4 PM really??  How am I supposed to plan anything??  IDK who is going to be watching my kids b/c IDK what time my surgery is.  IDK weather or not we will be going up the day before and spending the night or just driving up the day of.  that kinda really sucks.  We are hoping to get a later in the day surgery as opposed to a 6 am surgery b/c we live 3 hrs away.  If it is early we will just go up the night before but i don't wanna do that either and be away from my kids for an extra night.  But I know I have to do what I have to do..

On the other hand I am soooooo super excited.  I almost wish the day was tomorrow.  I can't wait to be switched.  It is sad though that half heartedly I just want it to be done and over with to prove to my sister that everything will be fine.  She is sooo negative and voices her opinion on me having the surgery often.  Even going as far last time as to say  " This has turned into such a Fad, why don't you get your fat F**cking lazy ass off the couch instead of getting a surgery done that you are going to get sick and die".  Now mind you she prolly has a BMI of 38-41 somewhere in there and has never been successful in keeping weight off.  But she used to be skinny prior to having a child.   so IDK why she *****es at me for trying to be healthy.  She claims that the above comment was not directed towards me but to others going to or have gotten the surgery done.  But that was only after I got pissed.  I Kept saying who are you to Judge anyone decisions and she had no response just kept saying I have the right to my opinion.  She has also mentioned one day that  "I was making her be the only fat one" so I think (along with the rest of my family) that it is more of a jealousy issue, rather then a concern for me issue..

Anyway.  I am so super excited for the day to just come.  I know It is going to be a road to recovery and that I can't ru**** but I just want to not hurt every day.  I can't wait to run and play with the kids.  I am so excited.

Oh sorry this was so long.  Thank you if you made it to here for hanging in there with me.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

MomToTeens
on 7/31/11 11:40 pm - OH
Amber,

This is a nerve-wracking and exciting time.  I got my surgery time when I got my date, but I have had other surgeries where I didn't find out until the day before what time I had to be there.  That's hard to schedule around.

As for your sister...it does sound like some jealousy on her part, but also, our families have bizarre, convoluted ways of trying to show they care sometimes.  The statement about "you're going to get sick and die" indicates she has fear that someting will happen to you, but it comes out like that instead of the concern she probably truly feels.

I have a problem talking with my Mom about my weight and health issues.  She thinks it's about getting "skinny" and doesn't understand.  I almost didn't tell her I was having the revision, but decided it wasn't fair not to, in case something happened.  Her response was "I hope you find whatever you're looking for this time".  I chalk it up to lack of knowledge and inability to express her true feelings.

You will soon be on the Dark Side!!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

dana712
on 8/1/11 12:08 am
Hi Susan

I had my revision with DR K. on 7-20.I was at Verdugo Hills Hosp.

Dana
MomToTeens
on 8/1/11 12:31 am - OH
Hi Dana,

We met at the hospital, but I was 2 days ahead of you.  Maybe you don't remember?

Susan

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

dana712
on 8/1/11 12:50 am
Hi Susan

Yes i remember, How are you doing? I hate this feeding tube, but it has to stay in for 6 weeks.How is your eating?

Dana

MomToTeens
on 8/1/11 1:03 am - OH
I hate the feel of the tube, but glad it's there for the days I can't seem to get enough in.  I'm still doing almost all liquids, as I had a bit of a rough time with things by mouth when I first got home.  Dr. K says there was so much swelling inside my stomach that I needed to use the tube exclusively for a few days.  I was sliming and foaming anytime I ate or drank anything.  I did that, and things are better now, though I'm still taking it very slowly.  There is such a fine line between enough and too much.

How are you doing?

Susan

Will Rogers

dana712
on 8/1/11 1:11 am
I also was having a little hard time eating, But for the past few days i was able to eat a hard boiled egg, a slice of cheese, a few bites of chicken, chicken soup, and basicially the jello, applesauce,protein shakes i put through the j- tube.

Dana
adkmtngirl
on 8/1/11 1:26 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Amber, 

When Dr. Hill did my surgery I had to be there at 7:30 in the morning, I was his 2nd surgery of the day. I will tell you, AMC is a small hospital (as you know) and they don't have a really big number of surgeries that they do each day. And honestly,I think Dr. Hill only does 2 or 3 surgeries per day (depending on which ones he's performing) and I was told he schedules his DS patients as his 'final' paitients for the day just in case he needs more time. I was in and out of surgery within 2 hours (I think) for my ds. And the day he did my hernia repair I had to be there at 6:45 and I was his first surgery of the day. He does not like to overbook himself! 

My advice, if you don't want to leave your kids an extra night and you have to be there really early, keep them home, have whomever is going to take care of them (and plan on having to be there for surgery before 8am) spend the night too, and then you can leave and drive over early in the morning. Trust me, you'll sleep better at home than in a hotel up there (good luck getting one this time of year, they are a tourist destination and prices are really high right now) even if you have to leave at 3 am. 

Kristina

Laugh Out Loud
on 8/1/11 1:33 am
Congrats on your upcoming surgery, Amber!  This will be the last diet you'll ever have to do, so don't sweat the pre-op diet stuff.  Good thing you've got lots planned to keep your mind occupied. 
You'll probably be doing the bowel prep the afternoon before no matter what time your surgery time is, so you'll probably want to already have made plans for the kiddos to be watched by someone else once you start that, whether that's going up a day early or at home. 
Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this surgery.  You've already said for your health and for your kids.  "Making your sister the only fat one in the family" isn't even on the list, no?  Good for you for standing up to your sister and continue to call her on her inappropriate comments and unsupportive attitude.  Just keep the positive in your head.  You'll need that during recovery.
Good luck to you,
Cindy
MomToTeens
on 8/1/11 1:45 am - OH
Sorry Amber, for hijacking your thread!!

Susan

Will Rogers

Recent Topics