NG Tube

lwoznick
on 7/31/11 10:58 pm - Green Bay, WI
I think you're right about that, Elizabeth. I've been communicating with another patient of Dr. Buchwald's who went through the same type of revision surgery and she had her NG tube in for 3 days. I hope mine won't be that long, but I am expecting that I'll most likely have to have it in for some period of time. They have a very low rate of complications at his hospital and that's probably one of the reasons why...because, like you said, they try to be cautious and cover their bases. I'll see if perhaps they can use a pediatric size NG tube or do anything else that may make the situation more tolerable. I really want to go through with the surgery, so I'm just going to have to grin and bear it. It's funny, I'd rather put up with the pain of surgery than that stupid tube, but I know it's most likely going to happen. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I wonder if they had a bigger sized tube in me right after surgery. It just seemed like it was causing me to choke. But I was half out of it from the anesthesia, so who knows. I've had tubes down for endoscopies too and came to in the middle of procedures and had that same sensation. So perhaps a smaller sized tube will help. Again, I thank you for your valuable feedback and insights. I also appreciate the links you post for those of us who are newbies.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
Elizabeth N.
on 8/1/11 2:47 am - Burlington County, NJ
I have my suspicions that a pediatric size tube wouldn't make much difference, except for mentally. I wonder if there is some kind of topical anesthetic they could spray in your throat, or maybe even that sore throat spray you can get OTC.

However, dealing with the psychological impact through some brief focused therapy is likely to make the sensation, if not less, at least less important to you. You were getting retriggered every time you felt the back of your throat. So if you are able to reduce or eliminate the trigger response. it will help the experience of the sensation.

lwoznick
on 8/1/11 3:56 am - Green Bay, WI
That's a great idea to ask about that topical anesthetic. I know they've used it before for endoscopies, so hopefully they can use it in this case. Thanks again!
Recent Topics