post op 1 week and no weight loss

Twi light
on 7/30/11 8:49 am - NY
On July 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, sandy_mt wrote:
 I had revision surgery on 07/11.  On the day of surgery I was 289.  On the 2nd day post op I was walking the hospital floor and stepped on a scale that was in the hallway.  I weighed 308!!!!  A week later I still hadn't come down to my pre-surgery weight.  You are pumped with a lot of fluids and who knows what else.  I am not even 3 weeks post op and am down to 264.  Trust me, it will fall off fast, at first, but the others are right about not weighing yourself so early on.  It will mess with your head.  Best of luck to you!!

Sandy
Well see arent you happy to be on Roslins liquid diet instead of Pomps soft food stage. .... i only lost 10 pounds, came to hospital at 309, weight 298-299

Julie R.
on 7/30/11 9:01 am - Ludington, MI
 Do not get on the scale for another month.    Promise?  Really at this stage, I'd just weigh in once a month.   There's almost no way you're NOT going to lose weight.    I only weighed once a month till I was about eight months out.    I just have too many ups and downs on the scale, and I knew it'd blow my mind.  I still stay off the scale, unless I notice a change in how my clothes fit.

Also, I'd suggest you do a LOT of reading on this site, because I have a bit of a suspicion that you might need to do some more reading up on this powerful surgery you have had.    This is a very common post topic - someone comes on here at least once a week with the same lament, and the same assurances, that yes, it's normal.    I think if you take the time to do lots of research on here, you'd be more aware that many of the issues you are going to be having in the next months are very normal, and you'll also get on idea if some IS actually wrong.

Good luck, stick around, and read up!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 9:46 am
Hi, Like everyone has said stay off the scale its EVIL!  Rest, sip, walk, Rest.. and before you know it the pounds will start melting off and you wont need the scale to prove it.  I.Vs pumped you full of fluid, I left hospital 15lbs heavier than I went in. It will come off :)
roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 10:26 am - TN
thanks so much  i knew u girls would help me feel better bout this
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 12:02 pm - Beverly, NJ
Get off the damn scale. I'm 3 weeks post op and I'll admit to tip toeing on it here and there. I've watched weight fall off but I've also seen a gain of a few pounds on the days I wasnt pooping. It's been drilled into my head (thanks to those like EN and Julie) to step slowly away from the scale and if for some reason you are stupid enough to step on one (like me) EXPECT not to see what you wanna see.
I had such a hard time resisting it that I had the wife hide it on me. I havent been on it since (about a week).
You're going to lose weight. You're DS will work. Follow the rules, be active on the board and follow you're doctors orders. If you can manage all of that expect to be a lighter happier you. Without the need for numbers and such
roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 12:23 pm - TN
good for u u have more will power than me.  i wont lie im sure i will still look but now that i know what to expect i will relax about it.  thank u much though   every little bit helps right now for me anyway cause im kind of like pacing the floor .  lol  ready to fast forward these first couple of months would be awesome.  results always help with me  thanku  keep me posted on ur succeess too                                            melissa
zuzupetals2u2
on 7/30/11 12:57 pm - Sedona, AZ
what??? you haven't lost 50 pounds YET??? OMG I bet the DS is not going to work for you!!! You must be that one in a million!!

Sorry I couldnt help myself. This is a common post for a newbie that hasn't read up here enough. I probably even posted something similar way back when. I just couldnt help myself tho.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

roxi's mom
on 7/30/11 2:01 pm - TN
the only thing about this website is all the aliention u get when u dont know all the lingo etc on here.  no offense but i was on here for probly 4 weeks not to mention all the other research i did pre op and it feels a lil clickish at times to new people  i am only hoping to learn from u all annd not be judged cause im concerned that somethings wrong with me  i never thought id be very many pounds down by now but something so ive been worried somethng was wrong i guess is why i ask about no weight loss at all after a week  everyone i saw on here had lost so well by a couple of weeks easily and even more so sometimes cause the preop liquid diet too  i was just worried but dont feel great yet and most evryone had said the same thing and not to worry except you  newbie dummy here
Kayla B.
on 7/31/11 1:27 am - Austin, TX
Shoot, at one week out I'm pretty sure I weighed more than when I started.  Lots of water retention from the IVs and swelling from surgery.  You'll start ******g it out soon, no worries.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 1:55 pm - Yorktown, VA
I agree that it could be perfectly normal and just fluid retention and your body freaking out over having major surgery.

That said, if I recall correctly, you just had a really ****ty surgery experience in MX and so who knows if you even ended up with a real DS.  Did you get a copy of your operative report?  If not, I'd do what I could to get it.  I'd also consider having my PCP order some testing to check my insides to see how they are configured if I had any issues at all.  I don't mean to scare you or freak you out, but this is something that you might need confirmed in the future.

I hope you did get what you asked for and that all goes well from here on out!
Recent Topics