I've been lurking..now I have a DS date!

larra
on 7/31/11 7:15 am - bay area, CA
There was another thread by one of his patients a week or so ago, about how happy she was that he had revised her RNY to a DS....except that when pressed for details, it turned out that he had NOT revised her to a DS. He told her that he had done something that would be "just like a DS". But in reality, he had done an ERNY, meaning that he did NOTHING with her RNY pouch and just shortened her common channel to provide more malabsorption.
      So I suspect that's what he's planning for you as well, because if he has ever done a true, full RNY to DS revision, I'm not aware of it. So whatever issues you have with your pouch now, you will still have them. Dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, inability to take NSAIDs, poor ability to consume dense proteins, not supposed to drink liquids with meals, etc...you will still have all the above.
    In addition you will also still have the vitamin, calcium, and iron malabsorption of the RNY and will ADD to that the malabsorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and also some malabsorption of protein. Many of us consider the ERNY to be the worst of both worlds. And we've seen people end up with a THIRD wls, not to lose more weight, but to correct the nutritional deficiencies caused b ERNY by converting it to a true DS.
     I would strongly recommend that you do a lot more research, and esp that you figure out exactly what operation this surgeon has planned for you, because "it'll be just like a DS" isn't reality. If you WANT ERNY, fine, get ERNY. If you want a real DS, you need to look elsewhere.

Larra
gak
on 7/31/11 5:53 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Dr Barker does not have a good reputation. Why not Dr Daryl Stewart ?  Did you look at www.dsfacts.com

Praying for you .

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

zuzupetals2u2
on 7/31/11 6:03 am - Sedona, AZ
yes someone was even just recently on here with major problems after he did their DS this month and even insulted the group here asking why NO ONE told her how bad he was?? I even knew that by reading here and I  have no interest in Texas as I am in AZ. It is NOT too late to change surgeons and if it delays you a bit, good then you can read up more here which it seems you need to do!!!!!!!! You need more than luck if you proceed on the 11th! Don't do it!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

had_enuf
on 7/31/11 6:04 am, edited 7/31/11 6:05 am - East Bay, CA
 Here's 2 recent posts about Barker. Sorry if Stewart is not an option, but Barker really shouldn't be either.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4425721/Barker-vs-Stewart/#36585338

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4427975/Dec-2010-DS-but-still-nauseated-and-cant-take-protein/#36610733
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 6:14 am - San Jose, CA
Judy - Thanks for finding the recent thread (weird that the Yahoo search not only was not restricted to the DS Forum like I designated, but it didn't pick up either of these threads) - but for some reason, your first link goes to the second post too.  Here is the right link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4425721/Barker-vs-Stewa rt
had_enuf
on 7/31/11 6:58 am - East Bay, CA
 Weird pasting link bug... I'll leave it like it is since you added the correct one. I remembered Slim Shady had posted on that thread and found it in his latest posts.
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Elizabeth N.
on 7/31/11 6:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
Welcome. Now take the advice we always give and have given MANY times recently: RUN LIKE HELL FROM BARKER!!!!!!!!!!! He has SERIOUS legal action going against him, has had sanctions, has quite a few unhappy patients and a TERRIBLE reputation around the virgin DS, much less this most complicated of all options.

I want you to contact Pycca. She knows him pretty darned well. http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pycca/

This is NOT idle gossip. Your life is on the line and you would be extremely foolish to move forward with him.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 6:31 am - San Jose, CA
If you follow the links in Judy's and my posts above, you will see that this lady now comes to the board complaining about how she is being treated by Barker now that she is post-op and having complications.  When she is told by the DSers that she was SCREWED and should change surgeons, she responds with "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME?"  And when she is reminded that she WAS warned, she disappears.

Topic: Dec 2010 DS but still nauseated and can't take protein

jacq0122
TX
Wade Barker Duodenal Switch (12/08/10) Member Since: 09/18/09
[Latest Posts]

Hi everyone,
     I had my DS on Dec. 8, 2010.  I have had nausea and vomiting severly since surgery.  I have lost 125+ lbs but at what cost.  I can't eat much of anything (orange sherbert, cottage cheese) and what ever I try to eat ends up vomitted back up.
     I have been in the hospital 27 days between May and June for severe malnutrition.  I can't drink protein.  The smell gags me and as soon as I get it down, it comes right back up.  My surgeon finally put in a j-tube so I can get my protein that way.  Now I have a foley sticking out of my stomach, can't eat hardly anything and vomit a lot.  
     My Dr. tells me this is totally rare for the "morning sickness syndrome" to last more than a few months.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What did you do?
     What about inability to get protein supplements down?  I have tried thousands of dollars worth of various products to no avail.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  
     I have found Special K has a protein supplement I can get down but it only has 4 grams of protein per packet.  Very low.
     Any help and suggestions you can give me will be so greatly appreciated.  I just want to get my strength back, get rid of this J-tube and start feeling like a normal person again.
Thanks
Jacque  

jacq0122
TX
Wade Barker Duodenal Switch (12/08/10) Member Since: 09/18/09
[Latest Posts]

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied and offered suggestions.  I am sorry to learn Dr. Barker has such a bad reputation.  I wish someone would have mentioned that during the 12 months I was waiting to get approved and on line talking about waiting for the surgery.
     I have been probed, lab tested, explored, EGD'd, consulted with gastrologists, etc. on each of my 3 hospitalizations.  So far nothing that can account for the problems can be pin pointed.  I take all the usual vitamin/mineral supplements (which I manage to keep down) along with Phenergan and a generic Nexium daily.  I also have 2 other nausea meds that I take PRN (1 up to 4 times a day).  
     I have tried the liquid egg whites.  They went down but didn't stay.  3 minutes after swallowing, I was throwing them back up.  I have not seen an egg powder but I don't see how that would be much different than the liquid?  I have tried Adkins shakes and they are vile tasting and cause vomiting.  I know somewhere out there there has got to be a protein that is possible to keep down?  I am just tired of wasting huge amounts of money on each new product someone suggests only to find it causes vomiting just like all the rest.
     I called Dr. Kim's office here in Ft. Worth to try and get a consultation with him but he is accepting new patients for surgery or revisions only.  No one wants to clean up after another Dr. has messed 
your life up.  There is a Dr. in Denton who does DS and I have left a couple of messages with his staff but no one has ever called me back.  I will keep trying to find a Dr. who does consults on problem issues.
     In the mean time, I will keep trying new protein products and blowing all my cash.  Since I am a single female on a one income tab it is killing me. 
     Since I have already met my out of pocket expense limit on my insurance for this year, I would love to get the problem solved before the end of the year and end up back on the hook in 2012 for my $4,000 out of pocket again.
   Keep all the great ideas and suggestions coming.
Thanks again,
Jacque

e******grl
Hazem Elariny Duodenal Switch Member Since: 01/26/10
[Latest Posts]

It WAS mentioned to you...  Did you forget about this post? 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4265451/Pending-RNY-surgery-approved-want-to-change-to-DS/#35096096

This was also the only post you made on OH prior to your surgery.  The rest were all after the fact.  This is all trumped by the fact that you spent a year on OH, trying to get approval as you mentioned.  In that year I would hope you had been reading and researching here.  There is no shortage of posts every single day about surgeons, dsfacts.com, post op issues, doing your own research, advocating for yourself, ect...  

You have been warned.  Believe us or don't, but please don't come back here saying "nobody warned you."

edeldog13
on 7/31/11 7:36 am - MO
It would be one thing to ignore these veteran DS people and go ahead with Barker if you weren't a mom.

It is yet a whole other BAD decision to move ahead with Barker since you are the mother of a 2.5 year old! What would you tell him about this choice after being warned? Would you put him under the knife with Barker if he needed WLS?

Run to a VETTED DS Revision surgeon! You still have a chance.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 7:49 pm - TX
Barker has only been doing virgin DS's since November of 2010, to my knowledge.  I personally know one of his patients who was one of the first and nearly bled out. 

He claims to do RNY to DS revisions.  NO.  He leaves the pouch intact and shortens the common channel.  Again I know a patient personally who went in full of promises of a DS and came out with...well, we aren't quite sure what.  The op report doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

Think about this logically: 
Dr Barker has been doing DS for 9 mos give or take.  Dr Stewart has been at it for at least 6 years.

Dr Barker claims to do RNY to DS revisions.  Dr Stewart will do Band to DS revisions but NOT RNY to DS.  It's a fiddly surgery, a dangerous surgery and not something to be undertaken lightly.

Says something when the new kid on the block decides not just to jump in the pool but to compete at a level the experienced guy isn't going to go near.  And what it says is not flattering.

To paraphrase Top Gun: Barker's 'ego is writing checks his body can't cash'.   And the patients are left footing the bill.

Now, Barker isn't all bad.  He apparently does a hell of a band and a doozy of an RNY--per the nurses at his hospital the ER is filled with "barker's beauties" every weekend.  He has stellar taste in vehicles: not everybody can pull off a cherry red ferrari.  He also has his own movie company, which explains his advertising budget.  Oh, and he's very charismatic.

You pick.  High priced flash with a very real likelihood you'll end up with not what you want.  Or a wait time while you get your backside to a Dr who can actually do the revision. 
Recent Topics