I've been lurking..now I have a DS date!

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 4:23 am - TX
Hello all! I wanted to take a few minutes to make a post. I have been reading and learning from many of you for awhile. I had an RNY in 2003, and on August 17th will be revised to a DS.

I am very excited about the surgey, yet also nervous. I have a 2 and a 1/2 year old, and although I know this is the best thing for myself and my family, I am nervous to leave him while I go into surgery, and of course, worry about complications, etc.

Thank you for all the wonderful information many of you post, I have learned so much. I look forward to interaction with everyone and learning, and also am excited to have the support and accountability.

I have many mixed emotion, not sure if they are standard or not. I am anxious and excited to lose this weight, but also nervous about it, evern after my RNY, I did not ever leave the "overweight" category, and really feel like this is going to be my chance. I am so excited, yet have no idea why I am nervous at the thought of being at a normal weight.  I am very blessed that my husband and family are all very supportive, yet still nervous! It's really hard to explain. I am not having second thoughts, just nerves.

The liquid pre-op phase is also making me nervous. I start liquids on the 11th. Please wish me luck.

Thanks to all! I look forward to getting to know you all better.

mks
teachmid
on 7/31/11 4:35 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. Who's doing your revision?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 4:37 am - TX
Dr. Wade Barker, out of Southlake Texas.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/31/11 5:34 am - Tuvalu

You're kidding, right?

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 5:40 am - TX
No...why?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/31/11 5:47 am, edited 7/31/11 5:48 am - Tuvalu

1--If you have been researching here, you know about dsfacts.com...where a list of vetted DS surgeons who have, over the years, proven themselves capable of performing a regular DS--not a revision, just the DS--is available.  Barker is not even on THAT list...and for good reason...see #2.

2--If you run his name throught the Texas state medical oard website, you'll see that he is CURRENTLY working through a situation that required that his work was supervised...as part of a malpractice suit.

3--Again, from others who have posted here, his patients have not been the luckiest.  I've been very busy with family stuff, but maybe others can provide you with links.

4--AT LEAST, get a consult with Stewart in Denton, but to tell you the truth, I don't know about HIS experience with revisions.  There are only a VERY FEW doctors in the US who have proven themselves capable of that surgery.  You need more input from us oldtimers on that.  (And also stay away from Spiegel.)

Sue
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 5:51 am - TX

Thank you Sue.

He is converting to a standard DS. I know some people that have used him and had great experiences.

Dr. Stewarts office told me they were not currently doing revisions.

I will research #2...hadn't heard anything about that yet. Thank you!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/31/11 5:57 am - Tuvalu
On July 31, 2011 at 12:51 PM Pacific Time, mkbrat wrote:

Thank you Sue.

He is converting to a standard DS. I know some people that have used him and had great experiences.

Dr. Stewarts office told me they were not currently doing revisions.

I will research #2...hadn't heard anything about that yet. Thank you!

No...he's TELLING you that he's converting to a standard DS.  (Kind of a miracle in that he is not considered a real pro at that.)  What he "explains" post-op as "something that had to be done" is anyone's guess.

And that's just MY opinion.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/31/11 6:23 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, that's what he told the other people he's revised. They all had "something go wrong" and got an ERNY or some kind of oddball hybrid arrangement (which has yet to be adequately explained in OP reports) instead.

Look him up on the Texas Medical Board website. Here's just his most recent sanction:

QUALITY OF CARE

Barker, Wade Neal, M.D., Lic. No. J1859, Dallas  
On April 8, 2011, the Board and Wade Neal Barker, M.D., entered into a Mediated Agreed Order requiring Dr. Barker to have a physician monitor his practice for eight monitoring cycles; and complete within one year eight hours of CME in medical record-keeping and eight hours in the topic of practice management with a focus on appropriate coding and billing. The action was based on Dr. Barker’s failure to treat a patient according to the standard of care; failure to obtain informed consent; and failure to maintain adequate medical records.

This is a HUGE thing. It is not administrative. And it is NOT his only "oops."

RUN. Start over from scratch if you must, though chances are you will NOT have to do so.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 5:49 am - San Jose, CA
I would URGE you to reconsider this surgeon.  He has a poor reputation here as a VIRGIN DS surgeon, and little to NO experience as far as we know as an RNY to DS (the HARDEST revision to do) surgeon.  I wouldn't remotely consider using him, personally.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4396940/new-DS-Patien t-HELP-ME-PLEASE/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4397116/new-DUODENAL-SW ITCH-PATIENT/

I could swear there was a more recent thread on here about him as well, but I can't find it using the Yahoo advance search - maybe the thread got pulled?

There are only a very few surgeons in the US I would consider for an RNY to DS revision.  Rabkin, Keshishian, Roslin (maybe), Kemmeter - am I forgetting one?

I'd be willing to bet you would wake up with an ERNY or some other sub-optimal non-DS surgery, because of "what he found when he got inside."  Just my opinion, of course.
Recent Topics