i think i eat too much. today is day 17 post op

newyorkbitch
on 7/30/11 10:08 pm
Ya gotta get those types of "crazies" under control.  It's part of how you will succeed long term with the DS.  Cut the weighing down to one a week.  Seriously.

dleblanc1968
on 7/29/11 10:03 am - Lake Arthur , LA
My surgery was on June 27.  I have a never ending hunger!  I eat as much as you or more at 4 weeks Post OP.  When I went to my Dr this Tuesday, she stated I wasn't eatting enough, therefore, the feeling of starving and hungry ALL the time.  I too can eat nearly anything already and it's almost alarming.  However,  I CAN''T swallow any protein drinks. They make me nautious to the point of vomitting. This will sound kind of silly, but I wonder if I had the  surgery. I've had little issues, cna eat and drink whatever, and have still lost 35 pds in 4 weeks.   i've vomitted once forcing myself to drink the protein shakes. The true sign is how tired i am.

Remember the DS is based on malabsorption. You're eatting good stuff, so very little fat and that's good. If you eat too much fat, it won't absorb all of it anyway.   I've hit a plateau in weight loss. My Dr. said it's because i'm not eating enough and  the body begins hoarding all you eat because it thinks you're starving it.   Sometimes, the hunger can also be a mixed message of "you're thirsty".   Congrats on getting that much protein. I am struggling to get 50grams in.

Twi light
on 7/29/11 10:09 am - NY
I feel what you feel. HUNGRY, so i eat a few tablespoons of food every couple of hours. I cant hold much at a time but i feel i ahve to eat all the time or  i am just sooo hungry. It is quite frustrating, i dont want to feel hungry.

I am not nearly as much a fan of protein shakes as i used to be, thats why  i been eating spoonfuls of eggs or tuna etc. .

I am sure your platua will end b4 you knwo it, i think 4 weeks is usually when it happens.

newyorkbitch
on 7/29/11 10:19 am
Eggs and mayo have plenty of fat.  And besides,  there is no reason to avoid the fat with the DS.
Julie R.
on 7/29/11 10:45 am - Ludington, MI
 Relax.  You're still eating no more than the average toddler.    I ate about that much at 17 days post-op - I've always been good about getting my food in, and I lost quickly and consistently.    Like NYB said, you're eating a good DS diet - protein/fat/complex carbs if you still have any room.     Sure, the gooseberries are a simple carb, but berries are the lowest carb of fruits, and for cryin' out loud, you didn't eat a whole quart of them!

Now stay off the freakin' scale!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 12:23 pm - Beverly, NJ

Relax.  I had my surgery on 7/11 and I'm almost up to par with you. 

Today I ate

a full small chicken soup (still no noodles in it, out of my own fear) but with LOTS of parm cheese.

the insides of a egg salad sanwich

a full cup of egg drop soup

a 16oz meal replacement/protein shake with a mashed up banana mixed with it

and the wife just ran out to get me some home made sugar free frozen yogurt as a treat from the local ice cream place.

The trick for me is eating super slow (each thing took about an hour to eat).  I say as long as you're getting in 64oz or more a day in water and you're taking your vitamins than you should be able to eat what you can.  I also keep a log of EVERYTHING I eat or drink or take and how I feel that day.  It really helps alot.  I'm scared to try anything thick so I stick to mostly soups and liquids.  I don't like how certain things feel going down so I'm limited in the things I eat.  

How were the gooseberries?   They sound delish!

Mannyb23
on 7/29/11 12:50 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I can't eat anything, I wish I could but all I do is vomit if the food isn't super soft or liquid. I have lost 28lbs so far but I try not to be a slave to the scale because it will drive you crazy, and I know I have enough issues I don't need the scale to be one.
goodkel
on 7/29/11 2:46 pm
That amount of food is FINE. If you are hungry, you're SUPPOSED to eat. ALWAYS, from now on as long as it's protein you can eat as much as you like/need.

The only quantity you need to watch are carbs.

You're doing fine! Congratulations!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

nightowl
on 7/30/11 6:43 pm - Topeka, KS
Hello SpQr,
I think you are overestimating your protein consumption, which I think is pretty common around here, but I just wanted to let you know.  Since I had that sense at the end, I went back to estimate from your specific list.  Let me know if you have labels or such showing substantially different protein counts from what I am estimating. 

grams of protein are the left column
12    2 eggs with mayo
6      3 T tuna salad
6      3 large shrimp
12    if 3 of the 5 ounces of salmon were eaten (my salmon has only 4 grams protein per ounce)
0      3 gooseberries
23    EAS shake

The total I got was 59 grams of protein.  That is quite a lot for you being so early out, but it is still a ways from the 80-90 you were thinking.
Twi light
on 7/31/11 6:51 am, edited 7/31/11 6:52 am - NY
2 eggs = 13
tuna salad= 7
5 oz of salmon= 36      (i finished the salmon salad later on in the day) 
3 large shrimp =12.6 
EAS= 23

so this is 91.6?  I was estimating with finishing the salmon, i use myfitnesspal on iphone, i figured by the time i finish the salad i twill be aorund 80-90 ... I havent been as good past few days but good enough for how far out i am.

edit: I only get wild alaskan fresh salmon, it has totally different nutrient profile. i learned this a long time ago from dieting way before the DS. The wild salmon is 44 per 6oz but farm raised can be half that.

Recent Topics