Anemia, IUD, and heavy bleeding

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 3:18 am, edited 1/27/12 3:40 am

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 6:03 am
The bleeding may resovle after you get the IUD removed, it happens for some women.  If you had heavy bleeding prior, you probably weren't a great candidate for that IUD to start with.  You should be able to do the NovaSure quickly after the removal of the IUD.  HOWEVER, once you do this, you can no longer have children so make sure you are done with children.  If not, you can try the Mirena but sometimes bleeding happens with that one too.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 6:26 am, edited 1/27/12 3:40 am
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 6:16 am - OH
I don't really know about the NovaSure...but I just wanted to point out that Mirena is proven to cause shorter, lighter periods. Most people have spotting the first few months. But then my period became almost non-existant. And I no longer have the cramps, bloating, etc that came along with them. I just wanted to get it out there that Mirena may be a good option for you if you can't go with your first choice.

**And I'm not sure who your OB/Gyn is, but they should have never given you Paraguard to begin with. It causes heavy bleeding and cramping in women who have never had heavy periods.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 6:23 am, edited 1/27/12 3:40 am
Emily F.
on 7/29/11 9:29 am
I'm confused. Did you just get this iud or you had it and now you have a heavy period bc of the ds?

How long since you got the IUD, most have heavy bleeding for a few months.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 10:21 am, edited 1/27/12 3:40 am
Emily F.
on 7/30/11 3:02 am
On July 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM Pacific Time, Sunday77 wrote:
I have been a heavy bleeder since my first daughter was born in 2006. I got the ParaGard in Dec 2008 just after my 2nd daughter was born. The bleeding has definitely been worse since I got the IUD but my Dr. said it should level out after 2 years but it's only gotten worse.

I'm worried now because I am afraid that the DS will cause my anemia to get worse. And it's starting to get ridiculously annoying. It is seriously affecting my quality of life.
 Why do you not want hormones? I would think they would help control the bleeding. You can't keep bleeding like this. Its not healthy and is affecting your life negatively. :((
no_more_rolls
on 7/29/11 10:12 am, edited 7/29/11 10:13 am - Jackson, MI
OMG I had a paraguard IUD and had nothing but problems for years.  My cycles lasted for weeks.  Eventually I would bleed so heavy (TMI) that I went through both super plus pads and tampons hourly for days and I was so weak I could barely get out of bed.  I finally had the paraguard removed in 2005.  When I it was removed I was so anemic  and my hemoglobin dropped so low I had to get a transfusion.  About 6 months after I had it removed  (and my hemoglobin levels returned to normal after heavy supplementation) I got a mirena IUD.  I have not had any problems since...other than those related to PCOS and endometriosis which I had prior to mirena.  I love my mirena!  Oh and I never have periods now, just occasional spotting.  I suggest getting the paraguard IUD removed ASAP, even if you have to wait for the NovaSure.  Just having the paraguard removed will make a difference.  I noticed a change my very first menstrual cycle after the paraguard was removed.

Good luck!  I hope you get some relief soon 
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Mommy2006
on 7/30/11 11:45 am
Wow. I'm glad I ended up with the Mirena.

My periods were virtually non-existent prior to the DS with my Mirena IUD. Since then, they have sometimes been heavier, but still nothing like before I got the IUD.
Recent Topics