Roux-en-Y to DS for reactive hypoglycemia??

vbruce5366
on 8/3/11 2:53 am - MS
Can anyone tell me if this will work...Has anyone had this done to get rid of Reactive hypo?? I am at my wits end and the more I research it seems that this maybe a option to rid myself of RH and get my LIFE BACK!!! Please any info would be great
teachmid
on 8/3/11 3:18 am - OKC, OK
I was a revision from a RNY to a DS last December. I had horrible reactive hypoglycemia and IT'S GONE! This was not my primary reason for the revision, but .....
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

beemerbeeper
on 8/3/11 3:30 am - AL
Nods.  You have found the right procedure I think.  Yehuda can talk to you and I'm sure he will be along as will others.

~Becky

adnerb
on 8/3/11 4:44 am
I am also looking into a revision to DS! I had RNY in 2000, suffer from RH along with some other problems! Best wishes with whatever you decide!!
Brenda
vbruce5366
on 8/3/11 5:40 am - MS
Gail did you have a hard time finding someone to do the revision and did your insurence company give you a hard time??  Did you have much weight gain from the RH ? I only have added about 20lbs from RH so I dont know if it would be and option for me to have DS as I am at 200lbs now
teachmid
on 8/3/11 9:35 am - OKC, OK
See my response below. But, my insurance would not cover any WLS, so I was self pay.
     -Gail-

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 7:02 am
On August 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM Pacific Time, vbruce5366 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this will work...Has anyone had this done to get rid of Reactive hypo?? I am at my wits end and the more I research it seems that this maybe a option to rid myself of RH and get my LIFE BACK!!! Please any info would be great
For many of us RH goes away from RNY to DS, but it's not guaranteed. I think my RH was mostly due to having severe dumping syndrome. Do you have dumping syndrome?
teachmid
on 8/3/11 9:31 am, edited 8/3/11 9:33 am - OKC, OK
Overall, I had gained a fair amount of my weight back...lost and regained several times. My diabetes and hypertension had worsened significantly, and then there was the RH.

There are only a few skilled surgeons in the country who do RNY to DS revisions. Check out the list of vetted surgeon on DSFacts.com. You could contact the offices and get a consult about your situation.
Edit: the following surgeons are doing revision: Rabkin, Keshishian, Greenbaum ,Roslin and Gagner. There may be a couple more up and coming.
     -Gail-

vbruce5366
on 8/3/11 11:08 pm - MS
Yes I have very BAD dumping in fact that confused my diagnosis of RH because all doctors felt it was cardiac in nature as I would weak,sweat,dizzy and have heart palpatations along with running to bathroom.. My doctor actully tested for Carcinoid Cancer severial times as he felt that I had that until I was refeared to endo and he was able to do further testing I found out with a modified GTT that  I had Reactive Hypoglycemia ... My endo actully only has three other patients with RH ...I am on Byetta injections in which have been the only thing that has made my life even livable and kept my blood sugars around 80's ..but even on byetta I struggle on a daily basis ..There is no making sense of this condition as I am very careful in what I eat and make my meals balanced with fat/protein/good carbs but one handful of cherries  for dessert dropped me to 30 just yesterday... I am scared as I have  two children and can not risk going low when I am taking care of or driving them to sports events..I just want my life back!!
sweetpotato1959
on 8/4/11 3:00 pm
 I have controlled my low sugars with 1000mg of cinnamon twice a dayand american ginseng 400mg in the am.... I used to have sugars as low as 19 and once went into a seizure from low sugar.  You might want to try it for a week or so and see if it helps you.
Recent Topics