What do you do when you have a craptastic day?

butercup
on 7/28/11 2:57 pm, edited 7/28/11 2:57 am - Kennewick, WA
Very, very true. My daughters get ADD meds to help them. I guess I just keep thinking "I can deal with this, I can handle this". It's just getting to the point where I can't anymore.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/28/11 3:10 pm - Burlington County, NJ
As I recall, you're in a miserable situation of no support surrounded by the kind of ******** who need flattening by sensible people with big fists. ****hugs****

Y'know, one of the really obnoxious things about emotional/psych problems is that they are so damned hard to measure and quantify compared to physical/medical issues.....or so we believe. This is because we do not understand or value or have good measuring instruments for so many aspects of emotional/psych disease and  misery. Plus we are brainwashed to ignore and distrust the generally quite reliable markers that tell us something is wrong and malignant.

Chances are that if you could translate that feeling of "I can't any more" into some kind of test result or symptom that we recognize for physical illness, the whole medical world would run screaming to intervene. But because it's in the world of the psyche, we explain it away, preach to repent from sin, condemn for being weak etc. etc. etc. It's freaking AMAZING what we tolerate in the name of being "good" or whatever.

I'm about to start posting about the lovely week I just spent with Pycca visiting me in MT. I shared a lot of stuff with her about the godawful **** I put up with from church and other sources. It sounded so fricking AMAZING to me that I put up with ten seconds of that abuse in retrospect, yet I let that **** rule my life for over thirty years and believed everyone who told me that every sign of distress I showed was evidence of my wrongness, sinfulness, badness. Pycca said no such thing one way or the other. It just happened to echo that way in my ears. We allow ourselves to be treated so INCREDIBLY badly and then absorb the blame for it. Stop doing that and stop medicating the pain it causes. It's okay to stand up for yourself and not take ****

butercup
on 7/29/11 3:40 am - Kennewick, WA
Thank you so much for your support.  I really appreciate it.

Some, but not all of the reason I have problems with the ******** is that last October I finally left the church they all had been members of.  I'd been part of it my whole life and I'd had enough and I didn't want my girls to be part of it.  They were getting to be about the age when they start brainwashing the girls and it scared the **** out of me.  Luckily my husband agreed and he pulled out too.  It's been hell and absolute freedom at the same time.  I've never been more happy and confident in myself, leaving was the best thing.

I got so used to being told that everything that was happening to me was because I wasn't being good enough for the church.  I think I still hang on to wanting to just handle things by myself, or if I'm better things will perk up.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/29/11 5:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh my goodness, I've been there done that! Left the church where I'd been a pillar for 19 years and the denomination where I'd been through seminary, held credentials etc. and been in ministry ever since my teens. I got declared backslidden. Very long story and so traumatizing I can't begin to put it into words. But yes, it's freedom at the same time.

Part of the long slow slide of my being declared icky and evil involved my use of psych meds. If you just have enough faith, repent, yadda yadda yadda, you'll not need any of those evil chemicals. That was a relatively small part of the picture, but a very involved one.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/28/11 3:14 pm, edited 7/28/11 3:14 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Oopsie, funky Internet connection made for double post. Pardon my overuse of pixels.

Emily F.
on 7/29/11 1:03 am
On July 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM Pacific Time, butercup wrote:
Very, very true. My daughters get ADD meds to help them. I guess I just keep thinking "I can deal with this, I can handle this". It's just getting to the point where I can't anymore.
 If you are that stressed out, DEFINITELY see someone. Though a psych might want to see you several times to determine if its just short term stress or you have a condition that requires medication. Also, therapy combined w meds works best. 
Emily F.
on 7/29/11 1:01 am
On July 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM Pacific Time, butercup wrote:
You're right.  I was thinking that as I was typing the part about not wanting a pill.  Sometimes you just need someone to provide the voice of reason.  Thank you.  I'm gonna talk to my therapist on Tuesday about getting something to help me.
 Oh, I'm definitely medicated. I didn't realize that was what you were asking about. I take several scripts and life is much more enjoying and I believe it helps my relationships with EVERYONE and my happiness in general. I have no plans of ever going off. 
butercup
on 7/29/11 3:43 am - Kennewick, WA
I was talking about all kinds of methods to deal with stress and your advice was spot on.  I was just in denial over weather or not I should take a pill.  I should take a pill.
Julie R.
on 7/28/11 2:25 pm - Ludington, MI
 Meh - I still eat crappy junky food when I've had a bad day.   I'm too old to change that about myself, and I'm too lazy to try.   I just keep it under better control these days.    I had a really ****ty day a few weeks ago and decided to treat myself to an ice cream sundae.   I ate half of it and dumped the rest.   I was too freakin' sweet.    I don't drink much because I get a terrible headache when I do.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

butercup
on 7/28/11 2:30 pm - Kennewick, WA
I just had a greasy cheese, ham, and bacon cheeseburger.  I feel kinda sick now and it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.
Recent Topics