Reached My First DS Milestone!!!

dgb123
on 7/28/11 4:53 am - Fairfax, VA
Hi everyone.  I've been pretty quiet, but have gained so much knowledge from this forum.  I actually tried to have the DS 8 years ago with Dr. Elariny, but he was unable to do the "switch" part of the surgery due to pancreatic tissue growing around my duodenum.  So I ended up with just a VSG.  I lost about 60 pounds and gained back that and an additional 50 pounds by the beginning of this year.

I was so depressed, I wasn't sure what to do.  I finally went back to see Dr. Elariny and I was prepared to have to undergo a Scopinaro, I was THAT desperate.  Well, someone was looking out for me (and Dr. Elariny) as he was able to perform the DS!!!  It took him 8 hours (as he said, he pulled back bits of tissue one by one until he got to the duodenum).

So, it has been a slow journey for me as a revision patient, as well as being older and having a slow metabolism (I'm actually getting that tested next month).

But, this morning, I FINALLY hit 50 pounds lost!!!!  I am very psyched.

I don't have any issues with smelly gas.  Constipation has been an issue but I take Amitiza, stool softeners and magnesium oxide to help.  Minor hair loss so far.  I'm hoping it doesn't get much worse.  My major issue is not having much of an appetite.  I am lucky to get in 800 calories a day - 100+ grams of protein with shakes, but really only one meal a day.  Just can't eat any more.  Dr. Elariny is aware of this and I'm keeping a food log on My Fitness Pal for him and his dietician to look at next month.  My 3 month labs looked good.  I was only low on potassium, which I'm now supplementing.

Sorry this is so long.  I guess I'm making up for lost time!! 

Again, thanks to all the vets.  I never would have known about the magnesium oxide for constipation or the magnesium citrate for leg cramps without you!!!

Donna

divakay2
on 7/28/11 5:42 am
Congrats on reaching your first milestone ............    kenya
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 6:16 am
zuzupetals2u2
on 7/28/11 7:36 am - Sedona, AZ
congrats on your DS - at last! Good for you! I am wondering tho why you cant get much food in if you just got the switch part and your stomach was already done with a VSG and sounds like is stretched now?? Or is it just the no appetite and you aren"t trying to eat more? I cant say I am appetite driven since the DS but moreso by the protein requirements and I am often feeling full. But I still need the taste of food and not just a shake for some reason.  You are soooo lucky not to have the gas part!!! That is the worst part for me.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

dgb123
on 7/28/11 8:25 am - Fairfax, VA

My loss of appetite doesn't seem to make much sense to me either!  My sleeve is eight years old!!  I keep hoping the appetite will return as I find my weight loss is faster if I actually eat more.  But, for me, eating when I'm not hungry can result in nausea and vomiting, so that is certainly a deterrent!!

airbender
on 7/28/11 9:01 am
congrats to you, that is great and amazing, you kept at it till you got your DS, you must be so happy and proud...continued success
Recent Topics