Newbie questions (and a convert from RNY)

ABath
on 7/27/11 7:51 am, edited 7/26/11 8:05 pm - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
(Edited for formatting)

Hi all. I’m a newbie and have been lurking on this website for a week or two now. Boy, am I glad I found you. I was all set to have the RNY and stumbled on the DS Forum. I have learned so much since I have been here and have already talked to Dr. Engstrand and received the go-ahead to have the DS instead. For the past 13 years, my weight has steadily increased. I had two medically induced bouts of menopause before having everything removed, and was then diagnosed as being hypothyroid. Needless to say, my metabolism tanked. The last diet that I tried was HCG and I did lose 50 lbs and maintained for approx. 3 months. Although I made no changes to what I was doing, I regained the 50 lbs plus 20 more in the next 3 months. I’m 5’1 with a petite frame and though some may think that I’m a lightweight, I can barely stand up at 224 lbs. I have GERD as well as the “GERD cough,Â" acid reflux, gastro paresis, insomnia, and joint pain. My vitamin D and hormone levels were almost bottomed out when my PCP did labs on me at the beginning of the year. A light bulb came on when I was reading some of Diana Cox’s posts since the slow metabolism is killing me.

Sorry for TMI but I don’t feel so alone since finding this forum. My problem now is that I had almost completed all of my pre-op stuff for RNY before coming to this board and now that I have been reading anything and everything I can find on DS, my head is swimming. I can’t remember if my info is for the RNY or DS and everything that I learned so far at the doctor and nutritionist was based on RNY WLS. Please forgive me for have basic, and maybe stupid questions, but I won’t know the answer unless I ask. I have found a lot of information already and will probably find a million more questions to ask before surgery but I'll start with these. Here goes:

1. Do you still take small bites at first like the RNY after surgery?

2. I currently (pre-op) take Biotin and want to continue after the surgery. Is there a form other than the gelcaps available and do I need to take one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. due to mal-absorption?

3. Can I drink with my meals right away (once I am on mushy and normal foods) or is there a waiting period?

4. My doctor’s nutritionist told us to find protein drinks that are close in proteins and carbs (within 5 grams). I notice that a lot of people seem to be using the Isopure drinks but they are very high in protein and low to no carbs. Does this work for people with the DS? I’m trying to learn from the Vets as I want to be as successful as I can.

5. When can you normally start exercising after surgery (I have a treadmill and the Chuck Norris Total Gym which uses your stomach muscles for a lot of the exercises)?

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

MajorMom
on 7/27/11 8:33 am - VA
Welcome aboard. I was a lightweight and 5'1" too.

Let's see if I can answer any of your questions...
1) I took small bites at first but not with the baby spoon like read about sometimes. I quickly moved from that stage if I remember correctly.

2) All our vites and minerals should be water soluble or dry (capsules or pills). Not sure about taking biotin specifically AM and PM.

3) Drinking with food probably took me 3 or 4 weeks. Depends on how small your doc makes yours stomach and how soon the swelling goes down.

4) I only drink low carb protein shakes. Not sure why your NUT would tell you to match protein and carbs in your shakes unless she was talking about a pre-op liquid meal replacement shake or something.

5) My surgeon didn't want us doing any strenuous exercise until we got to goal. His ideas are a little different than you normally hear. I can't answer that one. lol

Welcome, I hope you get some great responses.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Victorious_one
on 7/27/11 8:49 am - South Central, PA

Hi there--welcome!  I'm glad you found the site, that you've been researching, and that you've made a decision for the DS.  You're going to LOVE it!

For more newbie DS information, click on the links in my signature.  

OK, for your questions:

1.    Do you still take small bites at first like the RNY after surgery?   

Post surgery, your surgeon puts you on a post-op diet.  It starts with clear liquids, then full liquids, then soft foods, then regular foods.  You'll find that you're able to tolerate some foods better than others, and that will change over time.  It's a lot of trial and error, since everyone is so different.

There will be no need to take super-tiny bites or to chew your food into liquid after the DS.  Your post-op sleeved stomach will function as a normal stomach, except it will be a LOT smaller in terms of the volume of food you can eat.  

You're likely to take smaller bites because you're stomach will have less "real estate." In the beginning, you may only be able to take 1-2 bites of food before you begin to feel really full.  That's normal.  However, there will be no need to chew the food up super-small because your stomach will digest the bites normally.

2.    I currently (pre-op) take Biotin and want to continue after the surgery. Is there a form other than the gelcaps available and do I need to take one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. due to mal-absorption?   

I don't take Biotin, so I'm not sure.  Vitalady has a recommendation for how much biotin post-ops should take.  I do think it comes in pill form.  The board wisdom should weigh in on this soon.

3.    Can I drink with my meals right away (once I am on mushy and normal foods) or is there a waiting period?   

There is no waiting period for liquids with food.  You will be able to drink with your meals right away, no problem.  The only challenge may be the "real estate" issue. With a smaller tummy, you may want to try to get in as much food as possible first, then drink a bit to wa**** down.  That will be totally up to you, based on your needs and how you feel at the time.  There is NO REQUIREMENT with the DS to eat food and drink liquids separately.

4.    My doctor’s nutritionist told us to find protein drinks that are close in proteins and carbs (within 5 grams). I notice that a lot of people seem to be using the Isopure drinks but they are very high in protein and low to no carbs. Does this work for people with the DS? I’m trying to learn from the Vets as I want to be as successful as I can.  

You'll learn very quickly as a DSer that most nutritionists know precious little about what works for the DS anatomy.  Close in proteins and carbs?  Uh, no.

You'll find a lot of recommendations for protein drinks--just check the board history.  

You want to get a protein drink (either powder or ready-to-drink) with the best quality protein possible and fewer carbs.  A very popular powder brand is Champion Pure Whey Stack.  One scoop is 26g of protein and 4g of carbs, which is excellent.

Here's some protein info, and a place to order various samples:
http://vitalady.com/why_protein.htm

5.    When can you normally start exercising after surgery (I have a treadmill and the Chuck Norris Total Gym which uses your stomach muscles for a lot of the exercises)?

Vets and doctors recommend that you start with walking after surgery.  You're likely to feel as though you've been hit by a bus for about 8-12 weeks, so the Chuck Norris will be out for a while!  Check with your doctor along the way about when the best time will be to exercise using circuit-like equipment.  Many vets have started working out with weights and such at different times based on how they were recovering from surgery. There's no set time limit.  For myself, after 13 months, I'm still really only do walking for exercise.  I could have greatly benefited from some tummy exercises starting about 6 months ago, but oh well. 

I hope everything works out well for you!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
beemerbeeper
on 7/27/11 9:33 am - AL
On July 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM Pacific Time, Victorious_one wrote:

Hi there--welcome!  I'm glad you found the site, that you've been researching, and that you've made a decision for the DS.  You're going to LOVE it!

For more newbie DS information, click on the links in my signature.  

OK, for your questions:

1.    Do you still take small bites at first like the RNY after surgery?   

Post surgery, your surgeon puts you on a post-op diet.  It starts with clear liquids, then full liquids, then soft foods, then regular foods.  You'll find that you're able to tolerate some foods better than others, and that will change over time.  It's a lot of trial and error, since everyone is so different.

There will be no need to take super-tiny bites or to chew your food into liquid after the DS.  Your post-op sleeved stomach will function as a normal stomach, except it will be a LOT smaller in terms of the volume of food you can eat.  

You're likely to take smaller bites because you're stomach will have less "real estate." In the beginning, you may only be able to take 1-2 bites of food before you begin to feel really full.  That's normal.  However, there will be no need to chew the food up super-small because your stomach will digest the bites normally.

2.    I currently (pre-op) take Biotin and want to continue after the surgery. Is there a form other than the gelcaps available and do I need to take one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. due to mal-absorption?   

I don't take Biotin, so I'm not sure.  Vitalady has a recommendation for how much biotin post-ops should take.  I do think it comes in pill form.  The board wisdom should weigh in on this soon.

3.    Can I drink with my meals right away (once I am on mushy and normal foods) or is there a waiting period?   

There is no waiting period for liquids with food.  You will be able to drink with your meals right away, no problem.  The only challenge may be the "real estate" issue. With a smaller tummy, you may want to try to get in as much food as possible first, then drink a bit to wa**** down.  That will be totally up to you, based on your needs and how you feel at the time.  There is NO REQUIREMENT with the DS to eat food and drink liquids separately.

4.    My doctor’s nutritionist told us to find protein drinks that are close in proteins and carbs (within 5 grams). I notice that a lot of people seem to be using the Isopure drinks but they are very high in protein and low to no carbs. Does this work for people with the DS? I’m trying to learn from the Vets as I want to be as successful as I can.  

You'll learn very quickly as a DSer that most nutritionists know precious little about what works for the DS anatomy.  Close in proteins and carbs?  Uh, no.

You'll find a lot of recommendations for protein drinks--just check the board history.  

You want to get a protein drink (either powder or ready-to-drink) with the best quality protein possible and fewer carbs.  A very popular powder brand is Champion Pure Whey Stack.  One scoop is 26g of protein and 4g of carbs, which is excellent.

Here's some protein info, and a place to order various samples:
http://vitalady.com/why_protein.htm

5.    When can you normally start exercising after surgery (I have a treadmill and the Chuck Norris Total Gym which uses your stomach muscles for a lot of the exercises)?

Vets and doctors recommend that you start with walking after surgery.  You're likely to feel as though you've been hit by a bus for about 8-12 weeks, so the Chuck Norris will be out for a while!  Check with your doctor along the way about when the best time will be to exercise using circuit-like equipment.  Many vets have started working out with weights and such at different times based on how they were recovering from surgery. There's no set time limit.  For myself, after 13 months, I'm still really only do walking for exercise.  I could have greatly benefited from some tummy exercises starting about 6 months ago, but oh well. 

I hope everything works out well for you!

Post surgery, your surgeon puts you on a post-op diet.  It starts with clear liquids, then full liquids, then soft foods, then regular foods.

Nicole you should be aware that every surgeon's post op diet differs.  Some folks are eating whatever they want to eat before they leave the hospital.  MY post op diet started with runny liquids (not clear liquids)  Some are on a liquid diet and progress the way you describe.  It totally depends on the surgeon.  People should follow their surgeon's post-op diet until they are cleared to eat regular foods.

~Becky

alaja957
on 7/27/11 9:20 am, edited 7/27/11 9:20 am
Just wanted to chime in and say I wish I had done more research before RNY.  I am now hoping to have revision to the DS from RNY. 

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 9:29 am
On July 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM Pacific Time, alaja957 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say I wish I had done more research before RNY.  I am now hoping to have revision to the DS from RNY. 
Good luck with RNY to DS. Have you consulted with a surgeon yet?
ABath
on 7/28/11 4:38 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
Thank you. I actually converted before I had the RNY so I'm lucky. My last pre-op apt. is next week and then I will submitted to insurance so my fingers and toes are all crossed.

alaja957
on 7/27/11 9:35 am
Dr. Roslin is my first choice. 

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

beemerbeeper
on 7/27/11 9:30 am - AL
Every surgeon's post op eating plan is different.  Some people are eating anything they want in the hospital.  Other people are on a liquid diet or a puree diet when they leave the hospital.  THAT part of life post DS you need to follow your surgeon's guidelines.

1. My tummy was very swollen for the first 3 weeks or so a a couple of small bites was all I could get in of puree type food. YMMV (your milage may vary)

2. No gel based or oil based vites will be absorbed post DS.  DRY only.

3.You CAN drink right away  but may not have room in your tiny swollen tummy to do so. There is no waiting period.  YMMV.

4. I think you should look for high protein low carb protein SAMPLES (vitaday.com) to have on hand post-op because your tastes WILL change after surgery and something you love now you may hate then.  This is very very common and is why she sells samples.

5.  Exercise post-op will also be determined by YOUR surgeon.  Not someone else's.

Hope this helps. 

~Becky

ABath
on 7/28/11 5:00 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
Thank you Becky (also for the answer to another puzzling acronym).  I wanted to personally say thank you to you as I had read one of Diana's posts about the DS and then saw one of yours. You pushed me "over the edge" to change my mind to DS. I'm SO glad that I found this board BEFORE I had surgery and then had to revise.

Recent Topics