what is the honeymoon period?

fluffy_me
on 7/27/11 7:01 am
i keep seeing 'honeymoon period' does this mean that we loose the most weight during this time?

also, if we don't absorb nutrients and vitamins from food - why is it important to also eat veggies and fruits (after the protein?). i have been eating a bit of veggies - for example i had some spinach - will i actually absorb some iron?
Kayla B.
on 7/27/11 7:16 am - Austin, TX
Yes, honeymoon period lasts 12-18 months-ish, which is when you will lose weight the fastest/easiest.

I disagree that we absorb nothing from food.  Some may say that, I don't necessarily think that's true.  I wouldn't count on it, necessarily, as in--I wouldn't say "Oh, I don't need calcium 'cause I drink a ton of milk" or "I don't need vitamin K because I eat a ton of broccoli" or anything like that.  But I wouldn't say we can't absorb anything

Fruits/vegetables also have other components in them that, while not essential to life (like vitamins/minerals), are still probably very beneficial.  Stuff like flavonoids, phytochemicals, etc.  And they also have fiber, which is still good for colon and digestive health.

As for the spinach question...no you won't absorb any iron, because spinach isn't a good source of iron. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
airbender
on 7/27/11 7:16 am
generally speaking....honeymoon period is about the first 18-24 months till the body undergoes intestinal adaptation, this will be the period of most weight loss

we absorb nutrients and vitamins from food,  malabsorption just means it is not optimal depending on the % that is bypassed.  there are no vit and min for protein consumption either and if about 40% is malabsorbed that is the reason we need such a high amount.  with a DS you should consume good quality proteins first, then fats, then if room low carb veges, fruit is optional depending on how you are losing, how you tolerate etc.  the iron in spinach is poorly absorbed even for a normal patient don't count on getting your iron from spinach.....
Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1471 views