To count or not to count

wannablite
on 7/24/11 8:16 am - Southern, NJ
 Thanks, Julie! I stopped drinking caffeinated coffee (only 1 cup a day) prior to surgery and never went back. Some mornings I just feel the need, but don't indulge because I want every drop I put down my throat to count! LOL Now I will just go ahead and not feel guilty! Fortunately, it's getting easier to get all fluids in (at least 64) and some days even more.

P. Poster
on 7/24/11 11:48 am
 If they didn't count, I'd be dead...  I run on coffee, Diet Snapple tea, and Diet Coke.  I *might* and that's a BIG might, actually have ONE glass of water a day, maybe.  Unless it's super hot, I'm sweating a bunch, or actually FEEL thirsty, I don't drink plain water.  Liquids are liquids, and don't forget you get a good bit of liquids in the foods you eat too.  Go by how you feel.  I personally only NEED about 40oz of fluids a day to remain well hydrated (I'm like a freaking camel I guess), any more than 100oz and I live in the bathroom.  I shoot for about 60-100oz a day depending on activity and temp and how I feel.  
wannablite
on 7/24/11 7:18 pm - Southern, NJ
 Lucky girl! Well, I'm having my protein coffee this morning w/regular coffee and I'm counting it as part of my liquids! I live in the bathroom every day. Even preop I drank a lot of water so was always in the bathroom. Everyone at work is very used to me! Thanks for your input!

beemerbeeper
on 7/24/11 12:01 pm - AL
For me, caffeine acts as a diuretic.  So it counts AGAINST the fluids I drink.  I can tell because even a little caffeine causes me to have terrible nocturnal foot cramps.  YMMV but I caution you to use caffeine carefully until you see how it effects you.

~Becky

wannablite
on 7/24/11 7:12 pm - Southern, NJ
 Thanks, Becky, but I was only a one cup a day girl preop. I will test the waters! I appreciate your feedback!

MarciRenee
on 7/25/11 1:09 am - IA
If it's a liquid that wasn't sweetened with sugar or doesn't have alcohol in it, it counts as part of my daily total...period.

I think that the dehydrating effect of caffeine is highly over-rated.  If a diet soda or coffee gets you to drink MORE fluids that's a good thing.  There was awhile there that the ONLY thing that tasted good and didn't hurt my tummy was Diet Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade.  Sounds innocuous, doesn't it?  Well it DOES have caffeine and quite a bit of it and I am still alive and kicking.  I try not to take in my whole days fluids in diet soda, but some days I still do...and I never one time had to go to the ER or urgent care clinic for fluids. 
Marci       
Fran-I Am
on 7/25/11 10:29 am
When I was working we counted all fluid intake for the intake of patients. It did not matter  if it was a caffeinated drink or not. Fluid intake was just that.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 984 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 448 views