The potato chip diet

Julie R.
on 6/23/11 1:04 am - Ludington, MI
 I was never a chip person pre-op either.   I'm also a popcorn freak, but have always justified that as being "okay" as a post-op, because it's complex carbs.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

jaellie
on 6/23/11 1:25 am
Oh...I have been a chip and dip girl since a small child.  Since the DS I cannot eat my favorite French onion dip or ranch dressing (bottled or homeade).  Literally trots me to the bathroom.  Now when I indulge in my fav ruffled chips I have to settle for homeade onion dip with full fat sour cream.

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 1:31 am
I have never given up my potato chips.  Even during my weight loss window, I would eat them - but always combined with cheese, pepperoni, etc.

My favorite are a local brand BBQ flavored - because they still have trans fats in them my DH calls them "death chips" LOL but I told him only for him, not for me :)

You are not alone. 

Chip addicts unite!!

Sharon
Julie R.
on 6/23/11 1:41 am - Ludington, MI
 Oh man, Sharon....I had some potato chips recently that were from a small family-run company in Pennsylvania....I think they were Deiffenbach potato chips?   Holy cats.    Fried in lard, LOL.   A little of those go a long way though.    I bought them at a local Amish market, and the owner told me that there are all kinds of independent little potato companies out that way.   Lucky dogs!

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 1:51 am
Lard is our friend Julie!!!

My faves are Middleswarth - they are available I think in NEPA and South Central PA.  They are soooo good.

My other go to chips of late have been salt and vinegar along with very sharp cheddar cheese.  Delish :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 1:47 am - Beverly, NJ
Crap, I'm mad you didn't post this sooner!  lol  It gives us pre-ops hope that one day we can eat normal again too, well hopefully.  I love for posts like these

Don't feel quilty, be happy you got your DS and can eat those things and pass the love off onto the newbies!  :)
Julie R.
on 6/23/11 2:11 am - Ludington, MI
 I'd say that the DS has removed about 90% of my guilt about food.   I do have to add some pre-op and newbie caveats though:

1)  Do take advantage of your weight-loss "window."   I know MANY DS'ers who have seen their weight loss come to a screeching halt due to excess carb consumption too early on.    Furthermore, you are reducing your chance of getting in enough daily protein if you're taking in carbs early out.   Even as a newbie, I'd seen enough of that to make me nervous about going over 50 grams of carbs a day until I hit the hundred pound lost mark.    The best of advice I received as a pre-op was to keep the carb low until you lose the weight, then play around with carbs to see where your "sweet spot" is.  

2.   Lots of people never make it to a "normal" BMI despite adherence to a low-carb lifestyle.   Lots of people gain pretty large quantities of weight through unchecked carb consumption too.    It varies from person to person, starting BMI (I was a relative lightweight) and in my opinion, sometimes from surgeon to surgeon.    Be prepared for the fact that you might have to work a bit harder than the DS'er next door - or less hard.   

3.  Make sure you put protein first.   I always do.   Religiously.   I start my day out with a protein bar first, then a later high protein, low-carb breakfast.    I usually have about 40 grams of protein down the hatch by 8:30 a.m.    The more carbs you eat, the more you want.   I've found if I start my day out with a high carb breakfast, I'm even worse about my carb consumption than if I hadn't.    My carb cravings seem to kick in around 4 p.m.

4.  Also, and this is important.....it took me four years to learn to trust my DS.    I wasn't obsessive about my carb consumption, but I was careful.    I was always terrified that one morning, I'd get on the scale and I'd gained 40 pounds.     When I found that this wasn't happening despite indulgences, I started to ease back on my attitude a bit.    But that was four years in coming.    I still have moments of fear (which is why I started this thread) that I'm pushing the envelope too far.    The good thing about eating pretty low carb for the first four years is that I do know what low-carb options are out there if I ever do step on the scale and see a significant regain.    I'll probably have to replace chips and dip with pork rinds and dip!

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 2:18 am - Beverly, NJ
Actually it is great information.  I've scanned the forums enough to know some of ti but it's worth boookmarking to find all in one place.  Thank you soo much!  I live for post op advice! 
Naked_Lizard
on 6/23/11 5:33 am - West Haven, UT

"3.  Make sure you put protein first.   I always do.   Religiously.   I start my day out with a protein bar first, then a later high protein, low-carb breakfast.    I usually have about 40 grams of protein down the hatch by 8:30 a.m.    The more carbs you eat, the more you want.   I've found if I start my day out with a high carb breakfast, I'm even worse about my carb consumption than if I hadn't.    My carb cravings seem to kick in around 4 p.m."

AMEN, I just figured this out. and I wish I had clued into this earlier. but its so the truth, if I get my shake in first and then hit about 50 grms of protein by lunch, I do so much better at night. I live by this now, it truely works.

Thanks for putting it on paper.

Toni
HW/298 ~ SW/285 ~ CW/161~ GW/140
OnederLand & Century Club - 11/29/2010

DivaJojo
on 6/23/11 9:35 am - Atlanta, GA
Wait!! Pork rinds? We can have pork rinds? Where the heck have I been? Don't answer that. I might have a fun snack during The Closer ths weekend.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs