Trouble getting protein in

beemerbeeper
on 6/23/11 5:36 am - AL
Whole milk or half and half or heavy cream for your shakes.  Be happy you are not lactose intolerant.

Cake shakes hide the taste and smell of whey protien.  Might be a way to use the protein you are having trouble with.

Increase your fluids however you can.

~Becky

MarciRenee
on 6/23/11 9:16 pm, edited 6/23/11 9:16 pm - IA
I posted the link to Lori's Coffee Shake recipe in my post above, just click on the word recipe.  You don't need SF syrups to make it, that just makes it more fun.  I don't normally use them, I just use more splenda in mine.

I am going to suggest that you do a little more research on here and on
www.dsfacts.com and listen a little less to your doc/NUT.  Surgeons are great at cutting and NUTS are great at giving RNY advice.  You don't need/want RNY advice, period.  And no matter how many times you remind them you had the DS you are STILL going to get RNY advice.  SO you need to learn what really is what, from the people living the DS life.  So read up on a lot of the back threads here - that should give you a lot of the info you need.

It may or may not level out well in the next couple of months, as far as things settling well from one day to the next.  That took me being over a year plus out...and there are still days where something that I love doesn't sit well.  It just is what it is.  For most of us - the main key in getting down protein (meat) and having it sit well is to have it very, very moist.  So I choose more moist proteins.  I am not a huge chicken eater (that was almost ALL I ate as a fat girl trying to lose weight my whole life) but when I do eat it, it MUST have a some sort of sauce on it.  Nuts are NOT a good form of protein, bio-availability wise.  They ARE a good choice as a snack, just make sure that you aren't depending on them to keep your protein counts up.  And yeah your docs are crazy about the steak.  I seriously eat it at LEAST once a week, if not more.  It truly is my go-to food.  So if you like it and it settles well, eat it.  Cheese is always a good option b/c there are so many things you can do with it and so many types.  I add it to almost all of my meals, if I can fit it in somewhere.  And eggs are a super DS food - you can also do so many things with them (scrambled with cream cheese, over-easy, hard boiled, egg salad, poached, quiche, egg casseroles, deviled, etc).  Normally if one way isn't working for me I will fix my eggs another way.  I ALWAYS start my day with 4 eggs and 5 slices of bacon.  It takes me a while to eat it and they are over-easy which I think helps them slide down (I also add some cream cheese to the egg/bacon mixture)...I don't think I could eat 4 scrambled eggs b/c they seem more dense to me.  This begins my day with a HUGE protein punch.  I pre-make them on the weekends so I don't have to jack around with them during the week, just grab the container and go.

As for hydration - I personally count everything that is liquid counts.  Protein shakes, tea, coffee, diet soda, sparkling water, water, flavored water, etc.

And just curious, but WHY are you drinking milk?  Perhaps more people do than I think.  But I NEVER sit down and drink milk, ever.  I don't want to drink my carbs for one and I hate milk for two...just wondering.  If you don't like it, don't want, and don't need it then I wouldn't drink it. 

You are taking your supplements, right?  And you have discovered that what your surgeon/NUT has been telling you to take is NOT adequate for your needs, correct?
Marci       
sandrasoren
on 6/24/11 12:28 pm
 I just never remember to count everything I drink, but have been vigilant about keeping track of my water.  I do love milk!  I always have.  I am taking my supplements, and so far my labs have been good.  I just got a list from another longtime DSer of labs that we should be getting, so I'm going to be comparing these to the ones they run. They seem to run about 21 labs for me, but I have a list of what they actually are, and I'll be taking this one to the doc and ask him to order them up.  Thus far though I'm evening out all right except for protein intake and VitD.  The VitD I primarily blame on living in the beautiful NW LOL!  Thank you for all your information you provided!
~Sandra

SW-237     CW-120      GW-130         HT-5' 0.5"
DS - 1/18/11

Gracie P.
on 6/23/11 5:53 am - Mansfield, OH

I make my protein coffee using INSTANT COFFEE!

I put about 8 oz. of whole milk in my large blender bottle

Add 2 scoops of EAS (just what I am using and it works for me... you can get a HUGE 5 lb. bag of it at Sam's for about $35!) 

Add 2 - 3 heaping spoons of instant coffee (I use decaf)

Shake, shake, shake

Fill with more milk or water

Sometimes I will stick it in the freezer for about 2 hours and it is very icy or I just drink it as it.

That ends up being 56 g. of protein (w/the milk)

That is how I get half of my protein every day.  I would NOT get in 100 gs. if I didn't have my shake.

Sometimes I will also add a squirt of SF Coffee syrup but I don't like them too sweet.  

Try it, you may like it this way and you don't have the bother of brewing a pot of coffee (I am not a coffee drinker usually)

Best wishes! 

Gracie                                          
- 165 lbs. total!                     Updated 4/7/13

Ellen G.
on 6/23/11 6:10 am - Bensalem, PA
What brands have you tried?  I think the key with shakes is just finding one that you like, and then finding the best way to mix it that works with your tastes.  I like IDS Vanilla Cinnamon and Syntrax Nectar vanilla bean torte and chocolate truffle.  When I order my protein, I get a 5 lb tub of the IDS and 1 each of the vanilla bean torte and chocolate truffle.  Right away I mix the vanilla and chocolate together in a container.  I think either on its own is too sweet for me, but together they taste perfect...like a black and white shake.

As far as the protein coffee, this has been a lifesaver for me.  I have at least 2 a day now with 2 scoops per shake, so that's 100 grams of protein in those 2 shakes.  You could also try it with a couple pumps of sugar free syrup that I buy from Starbucks.  I like the sugar free caramel and the sugar free cinnamon dolce.  The key with my shakes is that they need to be ICE COLD, regardless of whether I have them with coffee or without.  I add a lot of ice to mine.

Have you tried almond milk instead of regular milk?  Are you sure it's the protein getting to you and not the milk?
sandrasoren
on 6/23/11 3:54 pm
 I will definitely try to up my fat intake from my milk.  I'm not sure how well it will go, I haven't drank whole milk in about 15 years, tried it since that time of course but it tasted gross.  As we all know though tastes change with this surgery, so it may work :) If not maybe I can at least get up to two percent or water down the whole milk or something.  I've been using AMP whey protein from GNC vanilla, chocolate and cookies and cream flavors.  They were working really well up until about 2 weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure it's not the milk doing it, because I'm able to drink the milk solo without any repercussions, in fact it is one of the few things that sit consistently well (I am definitely counting my blessings that I'm not lactose intolerant like so many end up).  Plus I'm able to do yogurt, cheeses, ice cream (SF but still milk).  I can't get cottage cheese down without it making me seriously nauseated, and Greek yogurt doesn't even make it down.  I don't know why but even the flavored of that makes me start gagging the moment it enters my mouth. :( The chocolate truffle and different proteins that you all have suggested sound very appetizing.  I'm going to try the coffee shake tomorrow, even using whole milk... I'm pretty sure if it's mixed with something I won't taste it as much LOL!  Hopefully it will settle as well for me as it seems to for many of you. I'm just so grateful that there are people that have gone through things like this before and are willing to share their expertise and experiences.  Thanks everyone!

~Sandra

SW-237     CW-120      GW-130         HT-5' 0.5"
DS - 1/18/11

Most Active
Recent Topics