do you have a good blueberry low carb recipe ?

gak
on 6/7/11 10:59 am
Revision on 06/21/13
I picked blueberries today and have tons !     While I do not mind them by themselves, does anyone have a good or even a great low carb recipe for them to make something yummy and satisfying ? 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

P. Poster
on 6/7/11 11:54 am
 Atkins baking mix & splenda for blueberry muffins?
gak
on 6/7/11 12:18 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
That is one idea I have thought about. I need to find low carb mix though, very hard to find. I will probably have to find something online to order for those.

Ginger<><  

P. Poster
on 6/7/11 12:38 pm
 My local grocery carries the Atkins All Purpose Baking Mix with the rest of their Atkins products.  I'm actually sitting here right now eating blueberry pancakes made with it, and they are YUMMY!  You can also get Carbquick (although I think only online).  
gak
on 6/7/11 12:42 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have heard bad things about Carb Quick. I live in no mans land unfortunately and I do not see Atkins in stores here.    BUT I travel in about two weeks, so I bet I can find it on the road somewhere. In the meantime, I have cleaned them and they will be ready to freeze tomorrow. It is great to know that Atkins mix is delicious. I will get to go to a Trader Joes when I see Dr Maguire for my check up in July...so if push comes to shove they have an awesome mix that I am currently out of now. I will definitely be stocking up there !

Ginger<><  

lwillis22
on 6/7/11 1:05 pm
What mix is it from Trader Joes that you use?  What are some other foods you like from there. I have been there a few times but really not tried much.  Thanks, Lori

gak
on 6/7/11 1:28 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
It is the multigrain one.. here is a pic I found online.  

http://bachelorsdecoratedlife.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/tr aderjoesmultigrainbakingmix.jpg

they have several varieties.  I am thinking I need to compare when I go and see if any others are lower in carbs.

Ginger<><  

Sue L.
on 6/7/11 12:42 pm - Chester County, TN
I really like Jenna Lynn's Blueberry Muffins:

http://duodenalswitchcraft.blogspot.com/2010/07/almond-flax-blueberry-muffins.html
gak
on 6/7/11 1:29 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Thanks Sue, I need to get a couple of  ingredients and they are on my try list ! 

Ginger<><  

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/11 1:38 pm
Just found this on a low carb board. Not sure how it tastes, but it got good reviews.

Dana

Quick Blackberry Cobbler

1/2 cup Carb Countdown 2% milk
2 teaspoons oil
liquid Splenda equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Carbquick

2 cups blackberries
liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
Mix first 4 ingredients and put into prepared casserole dish.
Mix berries, remaining Splenda and water.
Pour over batter.
Bake about 45 minutes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLUEBERRY CRISP

3 cups blueberries
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup of butter

Put blueberries in a skillet and cook for a few minutes until the berries are all hot and bubbly, pour into your sprayed pan (I used a 1 inch high tart pan).

Mix until crumbly then top with:
CRUMB TOPPING

¼ c. butter, softened
1 c. low carb bake mix...I used Jennifer Eloff’s
2 T. Splenda…(I used 4 drops Ez-Sweetz)
1 ¼ t. baking powder (don't know if you really need it)
¼ t. salt

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until golden.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOW CARB BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups almond meal
  • 1 ½ cups sugar substitute (liquid or powdered, see below)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ cup butter (4 Tablespoons), chilled and cut into small pieces
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 6 oz. cream cheese
  • Salt
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen (but not thawed) blueberries or raspberries
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or oil 9X9 inch pan (cooking spray is fine).

Coffee cake is prepared in three layers. If you are using a standing mixer, you can use the same bowl if you make the layers in the order listed - just remove them to separate bowls until ready to assemble.

1)Streusel Topping: Mix 1 cup of the almond meal, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup sweetener, a pinch of salt and the 4 Tablespoons butter. I find that the whisk type attachment on my standing mixer works well - you want the mixture to stay crumbly. You can use a pastry blender, knives - whatever works. But if it all clumps together, don't worry - just crumble it over the top when the time comes. This is one area where I used to use powdered sweetener, but I have found more recently that my beloved Sweetzfree liquid (zero carbs; no aftertaste) works fine.

2) Cream Cheese Layer: Mix cream cheese, 1 egg, and ¼ cup sweetener. If you want a thinner layer of cream cheese, you can use 4 oz. instead of 6. The mixture won't be as thick and will pour more evenly over the cake layer.

3) Cake layer: Mix dry ingredients: 2 cups of almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, ¼ ½ teaspoon cinnamon, teaspoon salt, and ¾ cup sweetener if you are using a powder. Then add the sour cream, oil, extracts, liquid sweetener if that's what you're using sour cream, and 2 eggs and mix well. At this point, you might want to add 1-2 Tablespoons of water, depending on the consistency. You want the batter to be thick enough to support the rest of it, but not too gloppy - you should be able to spread it easily in the pan. I usually end up adding about a Tablespoon of water.

4) Assembly: Spread the cake layer in the pan, and spread the cream cheese on top (if it's the larger amount of cream cheese, you won't be able to spread it evenly, but that's OK). Then sprinkle the blueberries on the cream cheese and the streusel on the top of that.

5) Bake for about half an hour, or until toothpick not inserted into a berry comes out clean. If you use a thermometer, it should be about 155° F. in the center.

6) Cool and slice. It is filling, so I usually cut it into 16 pieces.

Nutritional Information: For 16 servings, each serving has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2.5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 217 calories.