What would you do? Request the feeding tube or no?

Kayla B.
on 5/10/11 4:23 am - Austin, TX
Hmm...

I think what bean brought up about the potassium and dehydration is an interesting thought.  I, too, had longstanding heaving from chronic dehydration and low potassium.  Did they send you home with a potassium script?  It's difficult to get the potassium you need from food or OTC potassium right now, as OTC potassium is capped at 99mg which is not very much, and the foods you are eating aren't high enough in potassium.  When I had low potassium, I was prescribed 10 meq of potassium 2x per day for about 6 weeks to boost the levels.

It is a pretty nasty cycle.  You feel nauseated, so you don't drink or eat, which makes you more nauseated, so you continue to not eat or drink. 

It could be playing a part.

I don't know about the feeding tube.  It's an option.  I guess you'd probably need several small bolus feedings instead of the typical 3-4 larger feedings. 

I don't think IV nutrition (TPN) is a good idea right now.  That is generally reserved for the most extreme cases, and when the gut needs complete rest.  The general idea is "if the gut works, use it."  I think you should at least CALL Dr. E to ask his opinion.  Even if he can't see you physically, he should be available for 5 minutes to give an opinion.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
PattyL
on 5/10/11 4:44 am
 There are antinausea patches available too.  You wear them behind your ear.
P. Poster
on 5/10/11 7:51 am
 Yep, and also, the motion sick wrist bands can help with nausea too.  
cegj29
on 5/10/11 7:58 am
Sorry you are going thru all of this. 3 weeks post op I starting having some of the same problems. The nausea was overwhelming for me. I was put on TPN and stayed on it for 26 days but was encouraged to try and eat or drink if possible.  I was not able to keep anything down for 19 days. The turning point for me was when I realized that the nausea and vomiting were two different problems for me. I tried every medicine possible but what worked for me was Scopolamine patches which is typically for motion sickness but that's kinda what mine felt like. After nausea was under control it was clear that I had a mechanical problem too because I still could not hold down any food or liquid. It turned out that I had a stricture at the Duodenum that was found only after an EGD.  I know this can all be so hard so hang in there ok. Big Hugs
walter A.
on 5/10/11 8:56 am - lafayette, NJ
you can have a j tube installed with a colonoscopy. and give your upper gi a rest.
Julie R.
on 5/10/11 11:12 am - Ludington, MI
 I am not a medical professional, but I feel that if your labs are not compromised at this time, a feeding tube is awfully extreme.    I agree with others that you must focus now on fluids in whatever form you can.    I also agree that dark tea, even decaffeinated,  can exacerbate your reflux.   Anxiety can also, btw.

Peppermint tea has been very helpful to me for nausea, and for many, sucking on crystallized ginger or drinking ginger tea has been VERY effective in helping with nausea.     Remember that protein shakes and broths will help with your fluid intake.   So can jello.

Do remember that the emptier your stomach, the more nausea and reflux you risk.   Have you tried something very simple like nibbling on a couple of oyster or soda crackers?

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

KimberlyHeidi
on 5/10/11 1:59 pm - VA
 I also feel like a feeding tube is extreme especially when I can keep down food as long as I am on an IV for meds/fluids etc. They didnt think I was getting in enough calories and had me on a clear liquid diet and then moved me up to liquids and then mushy etc. Then they saw me eating some mashed potatoes and a smoothie and were like wow you can go home. Everything was great until I got home and got off the IV meds/fluids etc. 

I know my reflux is a real problem and I am guessing that the esophagus spasms have to do with the reflux. I have had a really hard time taste wise getting things down and for some reason I can normally only do iced tea (not too cold) and I do like lemon with it. Sometimes I can do water with lemon and or lime. I can also do watered down gatorade and powerade at times and some protein drinks like Naked and a few others. 

I have tried crackers a few times and even before this problem couldnt handle them so I havent tried them in quite a while. 
Julie R.
on 5/10/11 9:27 pm - Ludington, MI
ANYTHING with acid is going to increase your reflux, and lemon or lime, gatorade, etc. all have it.    My mom has Barrett's esophagus and can't handle anything like that.   She can only right now handle chammomile tea.   I also found anise tea to be soothing, and it's really good cold.    Go to your health food store and look around to see if there are other teas that appeal to you.   If you're not getting things down because you don't like the taste, you might just have to psyche yourself into the notion that it's like taking medicine.  You've got to do it for your health.    In my opinion, getting over a taste aversion is far superior to having a feeding tube.  My sister had one for nine months and it's a miserable thing.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Monkey_doodle
on 5/11/11 3:51 am - NY
Caffeine is a diuretic- not a good beverage for hydrating oneself.  It is also a higher acidic level which will only exacerbate gerd symptoms.  You have mentioned having anxiety as well- caffeine will also induce more anxiety.  If you can't sip then make some flavored ice cubes or popsicles- but not from the tea you have been drinking.   I would avoid decaf too- as they can still have traces of caffeine.  Perhaps boil some water and soak some ginger in it for the nausea until you get meds you can handle. 

DS surgery- 3-29-11