So much pain still.. lost faith in ER's, DRs and my surgeon

KimberlyHeidi
on 4/30/11 6:46 am - VA
 I just cant stand this anymore. I am sure a lot of you know about my pain issues/surgeon issues I have been having (I have been updating mostly on the FB group). My surgeon did an exploratory lap and found endo and drained some cysts (according to what he told my husband) no one has been able to get a copy of the operation and pathology report.

I am still having off and on pain above my belly button and I am in a tremendous amount of pain right now. I have already been to both of the  two ER's where I live and to my surgeons ER 2x before they finally admitted me a few weeks ago for surgery. No one seems to know what is causing my pain and I dont know if its worth it to go to the hospital as I have before (to 3 different ones 4 days in a row before admitting me). I just wish someone would figure out what the heck is going on and causing me so much pain. What would you do if you were me?
Julie R.
on 4/30/11 6:58 am - Ludington, MI
 On a scale of 1-10, with ten being like, labor pains, what number is the pain?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

KimberlyHeidi
on 4/30/11 7:23 am - VA
 It feels like labor pains in my belly. I dont know if it could be my gallbladder but the pain is in the wrong spot. My appendix was removed during surgery. I just dont want pain meds which I feel is what they are going to think of me if I go back to the ER. I just want someone to figure out what is going on and why I am in so much pain. 
Blank Out
on 4/30/11 8:09 am
 When you tell your surgeon, what does he say?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

KimberlyHeidi
on 4/30/11 8:22 am - VA
 My surgeon is now pretty much out of the picture. He did not help me with these issues and his hospital treated me terribly then again I think ER's treat people terribly anyhow. I am a self pay patient and the first thing he asked me about was about my insurance and how I was planning to pay for his services. I pay monthly for my surgery that I had and have not missed one payment however it seems that all he is after is money. 

I have been trying since surgery to get my official surgery report. He gave me my original pathology report but I never got a copy of my surgery report. I had surgery 5 months ago. My PCP and other Drs have also been trying to get this and he has not released it. The past 2 weeks since surgery I have been trying to get my new surgery report as they said it was not ready and didnt give it to me when I was discharged from the hospital. My PCP has faxed his office and the hospital he works with 5x now with my written consent to get these papers. I have also called the office as well as the hospital and get the run around. I do not hear well on the phone and often have to put my husband on the phone if they do not speak loudly or clearly or have an accent. So far I have none of my surgery reports. Due to this and the way he treated me I do not think I will ever go back and see him again. He has lost all my trust and faith and I am at my wits end with the care I have been given. 

I would go back and link all my posts about what has previously been going on but dont have the strength to go look for them. If someone can post them that would be helpful unless you just would like to search for them. 

Blank Out
on 4/30/11 9:25 am
 Have you had your PCP request the surgery reports on your behalf?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

KimberlyHeidi
on 5/1/11 1:46 am - VA
 Yes my PCP has been requesting them weekly both from the hospital and my surgeons office and has not gotten them back. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/11 6:22 am, edited 5/1/11 6:29 am
He doesn't have to release them to you.  The records may be ABOUT you, but they BELONG to HIM.  I could be wrong, but when I worked for a mental health facility, we never released records directly to the patient.
Batwingsman
on 5/1/11 6:46 am, edited 5/1/11 6:55 am - Garland, TX
There is an exception for mental health records (in some instances), otherwise a patient always has a right to obtain a copy of their medical records.   They may have to pay for them, but they get them (here in TX, the max. amount that can be charged is set by law).   Another medical provider of the same patient is entitled to have them faxed or emailed to him/her at no cost, so long as the patient authorizes it. 

Your surgeon therefore cannot refuse to provide copies of your records to your family doctor, to an ER, or any other treating provider if you authorize them to obtain them.

btw, the H.I.P.A.A. itself does not require that any provider provide copies of records to a patient, but rather prohibits a provider from providing ("disclosing") the records to anyone without proper written authorization from the patient to do so.  A violation of the Act makes the provider subject to discipline by the state's authorities, if they choose to do so.       

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/11 7:19 am
Thank you, I stand corrected.