Gaining Weight 2 Years Out

MsBatt
on 4/28/11 1:40 pm
Pre-op, I gave up Coke Classic about six weeks before surgery----and I lost 12 pounds, while eating everything in sight.
lovemypugs
on 4/28/11 11:29 am - VA
EN, I am continuously amazed at you. You always give great advice and are such an asset to this board. Just want to say thanks!

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

Elizabeth N.
on 4/28/11 10:18 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Aw thanks :-). Are you sure you aren't deluded, though? Cuz according to other people, I'm a crazy freak, doncha know.....
Elizabeth N.
on 4/28/11 1:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh yeah, regarding the "perfect" labs. DON'T BELIEVE THAT HOGWASH. Doctors do NOT know what's right for lab results for us. The only thing they look at is if any results come back out of the normal range, and 9.8 times out of ten they have no clue what to do about abnormal levels anyway.

You need to learn what "DS normal" is and supplement to get there. Vitalady is a great resource for learning about this. www.vitalady.com

Now, please tell us what supplements you are taking and how much of each.
Eli1979
on 4/28/11 1:28 am
My lab results were read by Dr. Inmans nurse.  Wouldn't she know what levels they should be?
MarciRenee
on 4/28/11 1:41 am - IA
The doctor and nurse only really care if a lab value falls outside of normal ranges and is flagged as being HIGH or LOW.

You care before the level gets to that point b/c once you are deficient you have to work doubly hard to get it back into a good range.  So you should be tracking the trend of your labs each.  What that means, for example, we'll say you've had labs run 6 times in the last 24 months (every 3 months your first year, and every 6 months your second year).  If you had/were keeping track of them in a spread sheet you would be able to see that for the last 4 lab draws your Vit A had dropped a bit each time.  You are technically STILL in the normal ranges but it is consistently declining - which means left alone it will eventually fall in the LOW range.  But since you have been tracking them and you can see the downward trend - you can begin supplementing MORE Vit A so that it stops falling and starts going up - so that you are at the upper end of the normal range.

Make sense?
Marci       
Eli1979
on 4/28/11 1:43 am
Makes sense.

I have only had my labs drawn two times, the third will be next week.  Dr. only has it done once a year.   Should it be more?

MarciRenee
on 4/28/11 1:48 am - IA
I had mine drawn - the full list that I posted later in this thread - pre-op and every 3 months my first year and then every 6 months thereafter.  It will depend on what your levels are as well, if things are not looking that great then you should probably have them drawn more often, to see if increasing whatever you need is actually helping.

Marci       
feeder3565
on 4/28/11 1:35 pm
Hey there, I think Dr. Inman has changed her protocol  to every 6 months. Check with her on this. Good surgeon but you must learn to read your own labs. You must also learn about vits. and minerals. Good for you for taken charge again. Karen

Its a Secret
on 11/10/11 5:36 am
My surgeon has me on the same plan as Marci...health is nothing to mess with, have it checked regularly.  Take your vites, get at least 100 g of protein a day (your food and 4 premixed protein drinks will do that.   Get off the sugar drinks...diet sucks bu****er isn't all that bad.  Dexa scans need to be done too...if your calcium is low it can cause damage to your skeletal structure...

I can tell your a busy kinda guy but take 1 day and read out here.  Take what you will from it but invest that much into your health.

Recent Topics