Gaining Weight 2 Years Out

Eli1979
on 4/27/11 11:37 pm
I will be two years out on May 7th, and I have gaines 17 pounds since the begining of Feb 2011.  Any advice on what I should be eating.  

I will be honest, I eat whatever it is I want.  I really do not know how to eat properly.

Please be nice when you response, I know that I have been doing things wrong and I am here becuase I need help in fixing it.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/27/11 11:54 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Good for you for coming here!

The easiest way for folks here to help you out would be if you would start by posting a couple examples of your typical daily food consumption. Also, if you could indicate what you believe the nutritional content of that food to be, we can help educate you in the places where you most need it.

Generally, the main problem for folks who start gaining weight is that they have moved away from a primarily protein based diet and are consuming too many carbs.
Eli1979
on 4/27/11 11:58 pm
Typical day would start with w 44 ounce regual Pepsi, follow by some sort of breakfast sandwich with a biscuit, with egg, bacon, sausage, cheese or biscuit and gravy.  Lunch would be Arby's, or something from the local bistro sandwich, fries and medium regualr Pepsi or Mt Dew.  Dinner is usallay junk food when I walk though the door, them maybe chicken or pork with a veg.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/28/11 12:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh dear.

Suggestion first: DROP THE REGULAR SODA!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, that was not a suggestion, it was an order. This is absolutely imperative, for it is pouring the weight back onto your person AND it is hugely detrimental to your health. If you can't/won't drop soda entirely, go to diet versions.  You need to DRAMATICALLY decrease your carbohydrate intake, and 8 measly ounces of regular Mountain Dew has FORTY-THREE GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATE. And you're drinking, um, HOW MANY cups of regular soda per day? A McD's large is 32 ounces or four cups. Let's see, 43 x 4 = 172 grams.

Now some questions so we can get an idea of what you know about DS living:

How much protein is in that sample menu you just gave? You need at least 100 grams of protein per day, which in food is about a dozen and a half eggs or a pound of meat, fish, fowl or cheese.

What supplements are you taking and how much?

When did you last have labs done to check your nutritional status? What were the results? If you don't know how to read these test results, you could post the information here and we can help you sort it out.

Eli1979
on 4/28/11 12:45 am
I just did the math on the 44 oz WOWZERS.    11 cups of Mt Dew/Pepsi a day, That is 473 grams of Carbs. 

I am guessing and I will say somewhere between 35-40 grams of protein. 

I actually this Monday for the 2nd year followup.  The dietitian scheduled 15 minutes for my appointment but I have a call into them to make the appointment after my appointment with the doc, I think I need more then 15 minutes.

Once I get my labs I will come back here and post.  Last year they told me my labs were perfect.

newyorkbitch
on 4/28/11 12:53 am
You must cut the carbs and increase your protein.  You don't need a dietitian to tell you that.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/28/11 1:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
I'm so glad you made that connection on the soda. It is SO SO SO important.

Now here's something that is MORE important, because your LIFE depends on it. To hell with your weight. You're in the ballpark with that protein guesstimate, maybe just a tad low but not much. If you do not DRAMATICALLY increase your protein intake, you are in severe danger of becoming crippled or even dying of protein malnutrition. There are a few people on here who got that way even though they were being far more vigilant about protein intake than you are. I will post a headsup message for them to come here and share with you.

So, you have behavioral modification number one: You simply MUST cut out all beverages containing carbohydrates. I'm frankly astonished you aren't so bloated and stinking with evil gas that you can't leave the house with all that simple carb consumption.

Here is behavioral modification number two: Make a commitment to your self to eat 30 grams of protein five times a day. You're going to have to work in some protein snacks to do this if you wish to continue to live on fast food for the time being. You are also going to need to weigh these foods for a while until you learn to accurately estimate a portion size.

Here are some examples of 30 grams of protein:

--4-5 oz. of cheese. Use cheeses like Jack or cheddar or harder than those to be sure there is enough protein per oz. Experiment with new kinds of cheese. There is wonderful variety out there for this. I just tried a chipotle cranberry cheddar and a smoked pepper jack this weekend YUM YUM YUM. Cube these up and put them in a baggie. Carry them with you and nibble on them.

--3 oz. of good quality jerky, whether beef or another meat. Check your label to make sure there are at least 9-10 grams of protein per ounce.

--a cup of roasted soy nuts. Treat these like a salty snack.

--about ten slices of bacon, or 2 eggs and five slices of bacon, or 2 eggs, 1 oz. cheese and three slices of bacon.

--about 4 oz. of cooked meat, fish or fowl.

--2 6-oz. containers of Chobani Greek yogurt.

--3 regular Taco Bell tacos.

--a quarter pounder with cheese. Take off the top half of the bun to reduce your carb intake.

--McD's big chicken sandwiches (not the McChicken, the other ones).

--4 McD's Chicken selects. Yes, I know they're sold in 3's and 5's, so adjust your numbers accordingly. If you eat three you're under 30, 5 you're over 30.

--the McD's salads with grilled chicken.

MsBatt
on 4/28/11 1:25 am
Damn, I need to go have more bacon---I only ate 8 slices this morning. And NO eggs. My bad. (*grin*)
Eli1979
on 4/28/11 1:34 am
On the soda thing, I have not had one since Monday 4/25, I have lost two pounds.  I have the most evil gas I have ever smelled in my life, even a cesspool could not contend with me.  

How many (oz?) do you eat at each meal?

Thank you so much for responding.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/28/11 1:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
The carbs are almost assuredly causing the gas.

For now, what you need to do is to just make sure that every time you eat, EVERY SINGLE TIME, you consume 30 grams of protein. It's preferable to do that before eating other stuff, but if you at least do that much, along with knocking out every single beverage that contains carbohydrates, you will find that you will have a change in how you feel. You'll probably have a more balanced appetite as well, but there are no guarantees on that. You might also feel the effects of "carb detox" as your body screams at you for "depriving" it of easy, quick energy sources that wreak havoc on a whole bunch of processes. But you will recover and you will feel better.

If you are willing to make an additional change (don't get in a hurry on all these changes; take them one or two at a time and really make them stick--but the soda and protein need to happen RIGHT NOW), then commit yourself to consuming protein first, veggies second (with any fat laden accompaniment you might enjoy, like full fat salad dressings) and everything else a distant third.

But if for now you get yourself completely off the carby beverages (this includes sugar in your coffee, drinking milk, etc.) and eat the amount of protein I just told you to eat, those two things will make enormous changes for you.