Really need an UNBIASED answer

kahlana
on 4/26/11 9:54 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Diana, thanks :) Like I figured.. take what I read on the net with a grain of salt and do my homework right?

My Blog My Facebook

CarolineM
on 4/26/11 10:32 am
 Look at his profile page here on OH. He's got 5 years experience with DS, and it says he's done 5 DS and 10 biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.

Personally, that wouldn't be enough of a record for me to choose him as my surgeon. Experience matters. And, definitely, you need to talk to a surgeon (and I asked the anesthesiologist, too) about his mortality rate and complication rate for at least 30 days post-op.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-cal vin-selwyn/#profile_procedures

HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

lovemypugs
on 4/26/11 10:33 am - VA
There are other ways to get to an out of town surgeon. Could you take the bus or the train and then taxis? I know first hand that travel expenses suck. I had to pay for a hotel for 2 weeks in both November and February, but it was worth it to me to know I had a vetted DS surgeon.

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

sbp7
on 4/26/11 10:56 am - Munster, IN
I originally went to a surgeon at a major university hospital in Chicago. All of the lierature and websites said that they did DS. When I went for my consult, it was another story. They had done BPD at some point, but had stopped.

Fortunately, the surgeon agreed that DS was the right surgery for me and actually helped me through the referral process and wrote letters on my behalf.

Eventually, I found myself with a surgeon who was vetted and on the dsfacts list.

It took over two years, but the last 4 months have made it all worth it!

I wouldn't take my chance with a surgeon who has only done 5 DS surgeries!

My surgeon does several every week...

Get on a bus and come down to University of Chicago and see Alverdy or Prachand.
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 11:19 am, edited 4/26/11 11:20 am
Hmm.  Sounds like nobody's heard of your prospective surgeon.  If I were you, I'd look into going to either Minneapolis or Chicago, by bus if you have to.  There are ways to do as much of your pre-op testing and post-op care elsewhere other than with that particular doc's office and have the results transferred.  Otherwise, HeyJules (who is around here somewhere) is in WI and used a newer but good doc in the state for her DS.  I'll look her up and see if I can find her doc's name on her profile here for you.  She's an awesome woman and has done incredibly well with her DS, she might be someone more local you can talk to.  I'll go look her up now.

ETA: Jules used Dr. David Engstrand - I'm not sure exactly where in the state he's located

here's her profile page, I'm not sure if you need to be her friend to see it:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/heyjules/

Hope you don't mind me pimping you out, Jules!
Hey Jules
on 4/26/11 11:40 pm
 I don't mind at all, my dear! I am late to this thread, as usual... whoops. 

O.P. :
Yes, my surgeon was Dr. Engstrand and he gave me a full bonafide DS. 

He works out of the Brookfield, WI area, near Waukesha. I had a great experience.

I'll send you a friend request so that you can read my profile. I know you're a bit further north than I am, but any questions, let me know! I live near the IL border in a small town called Walworth.

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

kahlana
on 4/27/11 9:56 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thanks Jules! I think I have ended up defending Dr. S. sort of by accident lol. it's not that I wouldn't if he is a great surgeon but I haven't even met with him yet...I haven't met with anyone about this except my PCP and she suggested the band and the only thing i KNOW for a fact is that I am not getting that done to myself. That's more misery than i can or want to deal with apparently. Anyway, i am trying to stay open to suggestions. and who knows maybe one of the three vehicles the BF owns will magically get fixed this summer and I will be able to go to appointments out of town lol... but i am not holding my breath on that cus the BF is not a mechanic and his friend who is is also an very busy person. But I digress. I would love to know more about Dr. Engstrand when you have time.

My Blog My Facebook

Helen C.
on 4/26/11 11:35 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Let me first say that Dr. Selwyn does in fact do the DS. He did mine. He is not a bait and not switch Dr. If the Ds is the surgery you want then that is the surgery he will do for you. He makes sure you are aware of all your surgery options but will ultimately leave the decision of what surgery you have up to you.

Dr. Selwyn is also a very careful surgeon and does not take risks with your health. If you even suspect that there is a problem he is right on it. If it is an issue he has not faced before he consults with another surgeon who has done hundreds of DS surgeries. I don't know for sure what surgeon as I have not asked him. He consulted with this surgeon when I had my leak to make sure he was doing the right thing by allowing my leak to heal on its own. I will (if I remember to) ask him on the 5th when I see him again who the surgeon he consulted with is.

When he was talking to me about his complication rates with surgery he said that his complication rates in his DS patients was 1-2% and his mortality rate was less then 1% in all his weight loss surgery patients.

He is not listed on DS facts so I can understand some reluctance there. But I also do not think his stats on here are recently updated either. But in the end you have to decide if he is experienced enough for you.

I chose him because he had operated on me before for emergency gallbladder surgery and I trusted him. I have not once regretted my decision to go with him.
beemerbeeper
on 4/26/11 11:57 am, edited 4/26/11 12:01 pm - AL
The title of your thread sounds like you think we would be dishonest with our answers.  That is a little off-putting.  This is a painfully honest group of people IMO.

My surgeon is known for "cherry-picking" his patients and has a very very low complication rate and it had been many many years since he had had a death. 

And of the almost no DS patients that we know of the one who posts about him HAD a complication.  If i were you I would go to a MUCH more experienced DS surgeon.

~Becky

Helen C.
on 4/26/11 12:12 pm - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
There have been patients who have used surgeons from DS facts (vetted) who have also had leaks. So before you start throwing my complication around like that you need to be completely honest and admit that a leak can happen with ANY surgeon.

I am not saying that anyone should run out and use my dr because I said he is spectacular and wonderful and blah blah blah but DO NOT use a complication that can happen to any surgeon vetted or not to make him sound like a piece of **** Dr. who doesn't know a damn thing about what he is doing.

Recent Topics