Really need an UNBIASED answer

kahlana
on 4/26/11 10:15 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I know one person on the MB who went with Dr. Selwyn and LOVES him but I think she had the RNY. Well, I guess at this point I had better start looking for a car or someone who goes to Minneapolis ALOT.... sigh

My Blog My Facebook

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/26/11 4:03 pm - Tuvalu

Amtrak goes through Portage (I've been on that one) and on to Chicago and from there, you can go anywhere.
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 9:46 am
I did ask my doctor about mortality rates.  He had done over 400 DS surgeries at the time with no deaths.  I believe that number has changed since 2005.  I think a lot would depend on the doctor.  Is he known for taking on risky cases?  My surgeon had / has done surgery on BMI's in the 90's.  That alone would give the surgeon a higher mortality rate.  The bigger and sicker the patient, the more risky the surgery.

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 10:55 pm
I am glad someone added that some DS surgeons may have higher mortality rates due to the fact that they're willing to take risks on VERY high risk patients (think BMI > 60, patients with known heart disease or COPD caused by their obesity).  When one of these patients goes on the table, they have a much higher risk of dying.  Some surgeons will operate anyhow because they know that this surgery may be the patient's last chance at reclaiming their life.

I have not even HEARD of someone with their BMI in the 90s.  That is just incredible.  Your surgeon must be a  freakin' GOD.

Ah, and I have been wanting to THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU personally for your Vick's vapo-rub suggestion to treat my grapes of wrath.  I've had flares recently, and that stuff has kept me sane.  THANK.  YOU.
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 12:49 am, edited 4/28/11 1:06 am

You are very welcome!

ETA: Our Jessy from Alaska had a BMI of 91 and Dr. M did her surgery. She is doing an awesome job.
MsBatt
on 4/28/11 1:41 am
Have you not met Jessy? I believe her BMI was around 90 when she had her DS at the awesome age of ...17!  She's doing wonderfully, too.

We've had posters on OH with BMIs over 100.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/26/11 9:49 am - Tuvalu

No...last I heard, the DS has the HIGHEST mortality rate of the various weight loss surgeries.  When you start breathing again, I'll continue.

Ready?

Think about it.  The DS is the most effective surgery for the SMO.  The band is a JOKE...a sick joke...for someone with a BMI of 70.  People with the highest BMIs are those most likely to be referred for the DS.

And people with a BMI of 70 are more likely to die from having their tonsils out...from just going under anethesia, even.  So doctors who perform surgery on heavier patients--any kind of surgery--are more likely to have a high mortality rate than those who perform surgery on lightweights. 

But who is your doctor?  We'll tell you if we know anything that should scare you.
MarciRenee
on 4/26/11 9:53 am - IA
This is what she said above to Kayla about that - "i was looking at going with Dr. Calvin Selwyn here in Stevens Point, WI since 1.) he does the DS and 2.) he is right across the street not 45 minutes away one way (I do not have a car)".

I don't see his name on the vetted DS surgeon's list...
Marci       
kahlana
on 4/26/11 10:09 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Is it possible the list is not up to date? Here's the link to the info about Dr. Selwyn http://ministryhealth.org/MinistryHealth/Services/BariatricSurgery/Locations/SaintMichaelsHospital.nws

My Blog My Facebook

kahlana
on 4/26/11 10:06 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
LOL you slay me Ms Cal Culator. i dont have a super high BMI (39.5) at this point so my risks should decrease exponentially as compared to someone with a 70 BMI, logically. Right?

I was looking at going with Dr. Calvin Selwyn because as I said hes literally right across the street and the Bariatric site for the hopsital lists him as doing DS and revisions to DS surgeries. I have no car so going out of town is NOT an option. I would walk since i love to walk but at this point in my life I cant even walk 2 blocks with out stopping to rest for 5 minutes and catch my breath never mind 50 miles or more.

And yes i completely agree that the band is a joke and would rather live the rest of my life fat than have one of those things stuck in me. (Yes I have been reading everyone's horror stories) The thing is I see fewer DS failure stories than i do failed lap band stories. (Which might mean I have blinders on but I swear I am not trying to just because i really like this surgery's possiblilities) But, I wont go into the other surgeries rates because I am still reseaching everything and I havent read enough about the other 2 yet. (I have tons of bookmarks to read and I  have a trip to the library planned as soon as the monsoons stop here) But anywho so far I havent seen much to detract from the DS and if the surgeon across the street does it successfully then I am a happy camper.

My Blog My Facebook

Recent Topics