Really need an UNBIASED answer

mylittleblackdress
on 4/27/11 4:34 am - FL
It has been stated here already but I'll add my 2 cents--Do not let the fact that you do not have a car enter into your decision!  Taxis take you to airports and planes can get you almost anywhere in the world.  And there are taxis at the other end to get you where you need to go.  Choose a surgeon based upon their experience and outcomes!  Your life is worth the effort!
Lisa
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/27/11 3:34 pm, edited 4/27/11 3:38 pm - Tuvalu
And...the more you make noises like getting to Portage and on to the real world is a HUGE deal...the closer you get to having to read and recite my sig line.

You DO know that a malabsorptive surgery is going to cost money, right?  You'll need lab tests and supplements and all that stuff.  If getting from Portage to Chicago for life-saving surgery is a huge financial challenge, maybe it's something you need to rethink at this time.

Like others have said, labs can be done at home.  Many people do all their labs locally and then travel internationally.  It isn't that we have no sympathy for your situation...it's just that you are "talking" to a roomful of people who have all Been There Done That and we know there are solutions.

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

MsBatt
on 4/28/11 1:53 am
You wrote:

"oh by the way, that term "vetted".... what does that mean to the posters here? i know what the dictionary meaning is but apparently my definition is different that other peoples. I am not understanding so will try make myself clear here. To my understanding when a professional (in this case a surgeon) is "vetted" they are examined and evaluated for competency for the job they are doing. So that means to me for example, that a surgeon who wants to do bariatric procedures has to be examined and evaluated by (I am assuming) a panel of experts who know what they are looking for as far as competency, fitness, and whatever else they look for before they just turn the surgeon loose and tell him "go for it! open those people up and screw around with their insides!" So in my mind the surgeon has been "vetted". But again my brain doesnt seem to work the same way as everyone else so someone please explain to me what you all mean by vetted. It would greatly appreciated thanks!"

You understand what the word "vetted" means. What you're not getting is that in this particular case, the one doing the vetting is Bev, the owner of the website. She arrives at her decision by studying a surgeon's stats, and by consulting with a group of actual, experienced DS patients, both post-ops and, to a lesser degree, pre-ops. (Pre-ops are the best source of info about those "bait and DON'T switch" surgeons out there.)

At this point in time, there IS no governing body of physicians and surgeons to 'vet' DS surgeons, so we're doing our best to help the newbies.
sia
on 4/28/11 2:31 am - NY
 There's a saying about having it all. What people fail to mention is that you can't have it all at the same time. Sometimes **** just doesn't work. This is your issue. You don't have the necessities to even have the surgery, let alone to deal with a post-op-life. You need to revisit this entire process at a later date. Sorry to be the killjoy, but someone had to  keep it real with you. Be well.
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
Recent Topics