What vitamins can be....

beth-28
on 4/20/11 12:55 pm
....given as a shot (weekly, monthly, or yearly) to reduce the amount of daily vitamins that must be taken after you are switched? Or can injections even be an option?

Thanks,

Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

KRWaters
on 4/20/11 2:13 pm - Manteca, CA
Some people get monthly B12 injectable, possible vitamin D injection I have heard. I don't know if there are other injectables. I don't find it a problem at all to take vitamins throughout the day. Use a medication organizer, easy to go, sure better than having to take prescription drugs, which is a reality without WLS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

beth-28
on 4/20/11 7:41 pm
Karen,

I am more than willing to trade my diabetic and bp meds for vitamins! I am soooo ready to be switched. I was just curious about injections because I was worried that maybe right after surgery it might be difficult to get all the needed vitamins right away (idk if the stomach would be irritable and rebellous for awhile). So I thought if I needed to, I could get some injections while my stomach heals. I will try to get my labs on the high side of normal before surg, so I'll have some wiggle room if needed. :-)

Thanks for your reply,

Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Sarah_Anne
on 4/20/11 8:41 pm
Beth,

You have stores of vitamins in your body so don't worry about not taking vitamins.  It took me about 6 weeks to work up a full schedule.  

S
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
P. Poster
on 4/20/11 11:21 pm
 B12 is really the only readily available injection at this time.  There IS a vitamin D injection, which gives a slight boost, but it is really designed to help with better absorption and processing of D as opposed to raising levels like a B12 shot would.  ALL vitamins CAN be taken venously, however, and there are IV formulas available, but that would require you to be on a PICC line and getting regular infusions.  So not exactly practical or cheap, and also this owuld introduce the possibility for other complications (sepsis, ect) so the risk would not outweigh the benefit.

As mentioned above, you have about 2-3 months of stores to use up (assuming you start off without any deficiencies!) so you have time to build up to your correct vitamin regime.  Just make sure to get a full set of preop labs and take care of anything deficient or saggy before hand.  HTH!
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 11:46 pm
You will have plenty of vitamin stores unless you are deficient going into surgery.

Check with Dr. Stewart's patients (Texas) or Dr. Stewart himself, I hear he has a Vitamin A injectable but I havent heard how much it raises your A.

Michele