Ds surgeon revision on lightweight?

soulsister
on 3/28/11 11:57 pm - NY
Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I am retiring all hope on the DS. Hopefully I can atleast get the sleeve!
ModestoK
on 3/29/11 1:40 am, edited 3/29/11 2:28 am
It is not that we want to kill you hope.
I don't think it is that people are against you getting the DS, although with your lower BMI it might be overkill IMO, but rather you may not qualify for ANY new bariatric surgery.
As noted above, the U.S. National Institutes of Health recommends bariatric surgery for obese people with a body mass index (BMI) of at least 40, and for people with BMI 35 and serious coexisting medical conditions such as diabetes. This is the standard most often used by insurance companies and some surgeons.
So unless you do have some significant band related issues or are planning on going self pay, you are unlikely to get insurance to pay for it. Even if you are self pay, you might have to look around to find a surgeon willing to do a revision with your lower BMI.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Kim
Emily F.
on 3/29/11 2:12 am
I would guess someone might be willing to do a sleeve if your lapband is a problem, don't know about ds.
MarciRenee
on 3/29/11 4:08 am - IA
What issues are you having with your band that have you looking for a revision (other than the fact that the DS is freaking awesome)?  If you give us more information we might be able to give YOU more information.

But as has been stated, just based on the guidelines you don't qualify for WLS without extenuating cir****tances.
Marci       
soulsister
on 3/29/11 8:55 am - NY
On March 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM Pacific Time, MarciRenee wrote:
What issues are you having with your band that have you looking for a revision (other than the fact that the DS is freaking awesome)?  If you give us more information we might be able to give YOU more information.

But as has been stated, just based on the guidelines you don't qualify for WLS without extenuating cir****tances.
The problem with the band is not mechanical. I have never had adequate restriction. I am either throwing up or in pain. Now being slightly unfilled I feel like I can eat a horse. Then two days ago I vomited til I was seeing stars. I have no consistency.

I also have a recurrent pain below my left rib. Am ultrasound a few months ago and bloodwork from my primary showed nothing. She attributed to a pulled muscle. But now about a year later I need to find out. I am relating it to the band, scar tissue maybe. I will know more tomorrow.
I have severe gerd and heartburn even with less fill and no restriction!
The band has caused me more depression than ever. I never know what i can eat from one day to the next. It has out me in embarrassing situations and pain with the vomiting and pb'ing.
My back, which i have 3 herniated discs and degenerative disc disease has gotten worse. I just want to be able to take nsaids again. I've already had 2 surgeries.
I still have sleep apnea too.
Those are just the main reasons.
Ann M.
on 3/29/11 12:20 pm - GA

I sympathize with you on the band. Some insurers will revise you due to complications with band (doesn't have to be a mechanical failure). I don't have any advice on your BMI- I never got that low with the band so I am not sure what a surgeon will be willing to do.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200